Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express slow posting rewards, bonuses and credits [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express slow posting rewards, bonuses and credits [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:29 am
Suspended

Yup AMEX is really dropping the ball. I like UR better but that game is almost up with the 5/24 rule. Starwood will be going by the wayside soon enough. Citi is strong. Not many options left.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:17 am
Suspended

I almost always get my sign up bonus within 5 business days of the threshold spend posting.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by solewalker
If you read the AMEX Everyday thread, our purchase (20 purchases in billing cycle for 20% bonus) counter has gone nuts as well. Might just be a general IT issue - I also waited for 7+ days for my sign-up bonus to post.
I have called up Amex this week and it was an exercise in frustration. The CS reps would tell me "your points have posted. X number of points posted on X date." I would then explain to them that was a different card and those points accrued in September.

Things seem screwed up over there.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
That sounds a bit rubbish, to be honest. With a UK Amex, the MRs will post to your account 1-2 days after the charge does. Typically that means you spend the money on a Monday, by the Tuesday or Wednesday the charge is on your statement, and on the Thursday or Friday the MR points have credited

Maybe suggest that they send some IT folk over to Brighton to learn how it's done? ;-)
I believe it is deliberate to make fraud a bit more difficult.

It would be really easy for me to manufacture 20k USD in charges, receive the MR, spend them, and get refunds from the merchant. They like to wait until a while after the statement has been paid.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
I believe it is deliberate to make fraud a bit more difficult.

It would be really easy for me to manufacture 20k USD in charges, receive the MR, spend them, and get refunds from the merchant. They like to wait until a while after the statement has been paid.
Amex could just charge them for the negative MR balance. I doubt your theory because I don't believe there are that many fraudsters do this to become a problem Amex has to address. Fraudsters would probably go after $20k, not 20k MR points.

I'd think someone screwed up in IT.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:06 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
...UK Amex, the MRs will post to your account 1-2 days after the charge does.
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
...They like to wait until a while after the statement has been paid.
American Express (USA) has always posted Membership Rewards points after the statement which includes the payment, rather than the statement which includes the purchases. This policy does NOT apply to partner rewards programs (Skymiles, Starpoints, HHonors). See this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ints-post.html

The topic of this thread is a recent slowdown in posting of base points and new account bonuses beyond the one-cycle delay which is built into Membership Rewards. There are also reported delays in posting partner rewards, and statement credits.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by johnnie198x
Amex could just charge them for the negative MR balance. I doubt your theory because I don't believe there are that many fraudsters do this to become a problem Amex has to address. Fraudsters would probably go after $20k, not 20k MR points.

I'd think someone screwed up in IT.
When my US issued card was brand new they took two full billing cycles to post any MR at all. It always showed 0 and the rest were "pending".

When I called them to ask what is happening they admitted that there is a mechanism for a deliberate hold or delay that is primarily to deter fraud.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:25 am

My "pending" still shows the points that were due to post already. No trace of MRs earned during the cycle that closed over a week ago.

My Everyday Preferred card counter reset to zero a week into the cycle and it still shows zero count, despite having 35+ transactions so far.

My SPG closed and posted without a hitch, two-three days after the statement close.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:30 am

just as i typed the above i logged back into my account. the Everyday card now shows 7 purchases, which were the ones made on the first day of the cycle. no pending ones (in the transaction counter). the 35+ this cycle have been posted to the account, however.

Now we know what it's like to be an Amex-accepting merchant, with longer float vs non-Amex.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
If it makes y'all feel any better, I have Delta Amex Gold cobranded card and am having the same issues with delayed earnings miles and bonus miles being posted to my Skymiles acct.

Amex is foobarring this and depending on how long this plays out, I may just pay my balance and cancel the card.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 11:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
If it makes y'all feel any better, I have Delta Amex Gold cobranded card and am having the same issues with delayed earnings miles and bonus miles being posted to my Skymiles acct.

Amex is foobarring this and depending on how long this plays out, I may just pay my balance and cancel the card.
I'm really at AMEX's mercy right now. I can't get a Chase UR card anymore. Starwood is going under. I have to wait at least another 12 months to get another Citi TYP card. That essentially leaves me with AMEX and solo programs. Limited options and they've got me by the nads.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
I'm really at AMEX's mercy right now. I can't get a Chase UR card anymore. Starwood is going under. I have to wait at least another 12 months to get another Citi TYP card. That essentially leaves me with AMEX and solo programs. Limited options and they've got me by the nads.
My CSP card arrived today. My wife and I are suspending all Amex spend until these points post.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 9:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of abrupt changes to some MR balances has been merged into another thread reporting the same occurrence:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ed-2x-10x.html
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: SQ, DL, Marriott, UR
Delay in MR and cash back on 2 Amex cards

I have opened Amex EDP in the mid-October for the 30000 MR points sign-up. On the first billing cycle spent over $9000 including $6000 on groceries. Made over 30 transactions and received acknowledgement on getting 50% bonus points from Amex. However, as of now (2 statement cycles ending on November 16 and December 17) still have all my MR points in pending status.

I also have Old Amex Blue Cash card whose billing cycle also closes at about the middle of a month and cash back becomes available on the next day after the pdf statement is produced. However, for that one cash back has not posted either. Did anybody have similar problem recently?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by Barrios
I have opened Amex EDP in the mid-October for the 30000 MR points sign-up. On the first billing cycle spent over $9000 including $6000 on groceries. Made over 30 transactions and received acknowledgement on getting 50% bonus points from Amex. However, as of now (2 statement cycles ending on November 16 and December 17) still have all my MR points in pending status.

I also have Old Amex Blue Cash card whose billing cycle also closes at about the middle of a month and cash back becomes available on the next day after the pdf statement is produced. However, for that one cash back has not posted either. Did anybody have similar problem recently?
My cashback on my Blue Cash Pref came 10 days after statement. Usually comes in 2-3 days.
When I first got my Everyday card this fall, there was a delay before my points posted. You can call in and ask about getting them posted sooner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.