Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Plat Charges Declined and Review?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by joe_miami
How would it be "ticking off everyone else" to simply be more conservative with credit limits if that's what the underwriting tells them? It simply makes no sense to let people spend big money and then try to make sure they have the money. If Amex didn't want people to carry a balance for more than a couple months, it wouldn't be in the CC business — it would just issue the original charge cards.
Amex thinks they can manage the risk in most instances. Being more conservative with spending limits could also mean fewer charges which means fewer interchange fees.

Are they right about their risk management? Who knows. But I suspect that's the calculation they're making.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
No matter how you slice it, it makes no sense to let people spend money and then verify afterward that they can repay it. As far as I'm aware, no other major issuers do this — they might do a review and shut an account down, but the customer is rarely involved.

Contrary to the other poster's claim above, charge-card spending seems to trigger an Amex F/R much more often than CC spending or carrying a CC balance.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's the worst kind of unreliable hearsay. By definition, you are hearing only from people who (i) had problems, and (ii) are on FT. Totally meaningless in terms of discerning AMEX's broader business practices.
Look, I'm not trying to start an argument with you, but it is well known that those who carry high balances and use up a large portion of their credit line have a significantly higher chance of getting an FR, than someone who pays their balance off every month or keeps their utilization low. AMEX is just like Barclaycard, if you sneeze in the wrong direction they flip out. AMEX will let you carry $7,000 of your $10,000 limit for a few months to collect the interest, but if at the end of month #3 , your balance is still $6,870, expect a FR because you obviously can't pay the card off on your income and must've lied on your application.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Look, I'm not trying to start an argument with you, but it is well known that those who carry high balances and use up a large portion of their credit line have a significantly higher chance of getting an FR, than someone who pays their balance off every month or keeps their utilization low. AMEX is just like Barclaycard, if you sneeze in the wrong direction they flip out. AMEX will let you carry $7,000 of your $10,000 limit for a few months to collect the interest, but if at the end of month #3 , your balance is still $6,870, expect a FR because you obviously can't pay the card off on your income and must've lied on your application.
Obviously, people who carry balances are going to be at more risk of an F/R than those who don't, but there's simply no way Amex F/R's are as common as outlined above.

It's easy for banks to figure out who's carrying balances from credit reports, so if Amex didn't want people who carry a balance, they'd simply reject applicants who show a recent history of carrying balances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.