Old May 4, 2015, 12:14 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
You may find this thread helpful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-19-days.html
Old May 4, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Thanks so much!! Any links to more threads like that would be appreciated!
Old May 4, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by wildchartermage
Good news, guys! It was just fraud department asking me if I had attempted those charges, and now, my account is clear!! Whew!

But I was wondering how I can MS spend $3000 in a month, especially if I make another trip to Target? I was thinking about doing $500 charges per Target trip...for example, $500 on Monday and wait for that charge to post, then pay that off. Make another $500 change and repeat until I hit $3000 spend in a month ($1000 per week).

Or do you have any other suggestions how I can MS in a month while not making it look too suspicious? I do plan to make other small purchases mixed in.
Told you.
Old May 4, 2015, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
Told you.
Yeah, I'm bit paranoid. :P

Now, I need to figure out what are the next steps to take to get that 100K points within a month.
Old May 4, 2015, 5:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... get that 100K points within a month.
Do you mean complete the spend in a month, or have the redeemable points in your account? The second is improbable, though not impossible, unless you have a history with American Express.
Old May 4, 2015, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Do you mean complete the spend in a month, or have the redeemable points in your account? The second is improbable, though not impossible, unless you have a history with American Express.
Oh, I actually meant complete the spend in a month, by May 29. The points can come later.

Do you suggest I should try the Target $500 load again after it was flagged as fraudulent last night? Or get a $500 AMEX gift card? I'm not sure which one I should do first.
Old May 4, 2015, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why not actually purchase something (that you plan to keep) with your new AmEx card? New appliance, clothes, furniture, car maintenance, etc. Electronics items tend to raise flags with AmEx, so expect to have to do something like talk to them to get those charges approved.
Old May 4, 2015, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why not actually purchase something (that you plan to keep) with your new AmEx card? New appliance, clothes, furniture, car maintenance, etc. Electronics items tend to raise flags with AmEx, so expect to have to do something like talk to them to get those charges approved.
I definitely plan to, but meeting $3000 spend isn't going to be easy just on my own without some MS or buying stuff for other friends.
Old May 4, 2015, 8:45 pm

I don't mean to be a jerk, but if you can't spend $3000 in a month without MS it all, should you really be paying a $450 annual fee? Sounds like your budget it a little tight.
Old May 4, 2015, 9:43 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Unless you were planning on using some of the points on your trip and need to rush, why not do the spend while in Europe? Vacation expenses add up pretty quickly and you wouldn't be falling into the trap of overspending/forcing your spend that you otherwise wouldn't do absent this promo offer.
Old May 4, 2015, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
Unless you were planning on using some of the points on your trip and need to rush, why not do the spend while in Europe? Vacation expenses add up pretty quickly and you wouldn't be falling into the trap of overspending/forcing your spend that you otherwise wouldn't do absent this promo offer.
I definitely plan on spending $$ while on vacation in Europe, but it'll be nice to complete the spend requirements before I leave just in case. I don't have an exact estimates of how much I will spend while I'm on vacation in Europe right now (still in the process of planning)

I'll probably need to use the points for my return trip back home! Lol.
Old May 4, 2015, 9:51 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
I definitely plan on spending $$ while on vacation in Europe, but it'll be nice to complete the spend requirements before I leave just in case. I don't have an exact estimates of how much I will spend while I'm on vacation in Europe right now (still in the process of planning)

I'll probably need to use the points for my return trip back home! Lol.
Then I would focus on worrying about the part you're not sure you'll end up spending on the trip. If you know you'll spend at least a grand over there, just worry about taking care of the other 2 large before you leave and spend the $1k naturally. I'm sure you'll go on vacations in the future, so you'll always have a chance to redeem points later on. Just don't force spend hastily and end up losing money.
Old May 4, 2015, 10:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Don't forget that the regular USA issued nonaffiliated Platinum charge card does not have foreign transaction fees.
Old May 5, 2015, 7:39 am

OP, you need to cool your jets (no pun intended). Your 100k points will take a minimum of 2 months from the day you got the card to even post to your account. Unless you are going to be in Europe then, don't count on using your points to return. Also, it takes time to book award flights (availability is scarce during peak season) and it sounds like you don't even have the basics of churning down, let alone booking award flights for the best possible price. The entire point of this hobby is to get rewards and to maximize them. You are in no position to maximize rewards if you are hastily booking return flights home.
Old May 5, 2015, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coolukgurl
OP, you need to cool your jets (no pun intended). Your 100k points will take a minimum of 2 months from the day you got the card to even post to your account. Unless you are going to be in Europe then, don't count on using your points to return. Also, it takes time to book award flights (availability is scarce during peak season) and it sounds like you don't even have the basics of churning down, let alone booking award flights for the best possible price. The entire point of this hobby is to get rewards and to maximize them. You are in no position to maximize rewards if you are hastily booking return flights home.
Naw, I don't need the points right away. I'm actually going to be in Europe for 4 months, so I have the time to wait for the points to post and get the best ticket back to the US in the fall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.