Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 12:05 pm

I will admit, I've only been to 3 Centurion lounges, DFW, IAH & LAS. I've been to DFW at every time of the day & night and every day of the week, and I have never seen it so crowed that anyone was turned away or their was no place sit. Some of you must think if anyone in the lounge other then yourself the lounge its packed and want to limit everyone else's access. They are airport lounges, not Country Clubs, get a life.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
I will admit, I've only been to 3 Centurion lounges, DFW, IAH & LAS. I've been to DFW at every time of the day & night and every day of the week, and I have never seen it so crowed that anyone was turned away or their was no place sit. Some of you must think if anyone in the lounge other then yourself the lounge its packed and want to limit everyone else's access. They are airport lounges, not Country Clubs, get a life.
I just knew everything's bigger in Texas...

Come to SFO and SEA to experience the problem.

On second thought, no, stay away. We are full.
greg99 likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 2:59 pm

Went into the AMEX Sea-Tac lounge for the first time today. Now I get it with all the comments. I can't believe it was smaller at one point.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Statman
Just out of curiosity, do people really go to a lounge upon arrival?
I rarely do it, but long layovers are probably a popular reason. Sometimes I want to grab a snack before getting started with the rest of my day, too.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Just out of curiosity, do people really go to a lounge upon arrival?

Unless I landed really early in the morning and wanted to kill some time at the airport before checking into the hotel, I can't imagine a situation where I'd spend time in a lounge versus going to the hotel or visiting my destination.
Given what we know about people, if there is an opportunity for "free" food and drink, a lot are going to take it in any chance they get. I'd say those odds probably go up if you came from a non-Centurion airport to one with. If you just landed, were hungry, and a had a Centurion pass, how many would spend money at the food court versus the lounge? People will want to get their money's worth of their membership.

There can also be many other scenarios. Maybe you have a layover. Maybe your hotel room isn't ready yet.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA gold MM, HH gold, SPG gold,
Miami, on Monday the 28th. Arrived around 7 pm, next flight 9:30 and they would not let me in as it had to be within 2 hours. My adult son with his own Plat. card did not have an ongoing flight and they separately refused to admit him so he could get himself ready for a drive home from the airport, since he did not have an ongoing flight.
Meanwhile they were admitting others who were at the front desk at the same time that we were rejected.
Yes this lounge is often crowded, but this was NOT the way to deal with it.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by belleNY
Miami, on Monday the 28th. Arrived around 7 pm, next flight 9:30 and they would not let me in as it had to be within 2 hours. My adult son with his own Plat. card did not have an ongoing flight and they separately refused to admit him so he could get himself ready for a drive home from the airport, since he did not have an ongoing flight.
Meanwhile they were admitting others who were at the front desk at the same time that we were rejected.
Yes this lounge is often crowded, but this was NOT the way to deal with it.
An Amex spokesperson specifically said the policy for the MIA lounge was not a permanent change, but rather a one time deal to address the extra volume of visitors during Memorial Day weekend.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
An Amex spokesperson specifically said the policy for the MIA lounge was not a permanent change, but rather a one time deal to address the extra volume of visitors during Memorial Day weekend.
One time deal for just this past weekend? Doubt it.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by GUWonder

One time deal for just this past weekend? Doubt it.
Perhaps it was a market "test" to see how it helped traffic, improve or decline in customer complaints, etc.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The American Express' representative's statement is in THIS post. She did not say that the restrictions applied only for one weekend. She explained why they were applied at two locations on a specific weekend.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Perhaps it was a market "test" to see how it helped traffic, improve or decline in customer complaints, etc.
It wasn’t a “test”. It was part of a change in practice, even as the PR spin is that the terms and conditions policy remains the same.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Given what we know about people, if there is an opportunity for "free" food and drink, a lot are going to take it in any chance they get.
Indeed. "Free" does seem to unleash some primal human instincts to consume as much as possible, while you can do so.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:07 pm

Had a 1 am flight out of SFO. Arrived to the airport around 11 pm and went to the Centurion lounge. It was completely empty - because it was closed Went to the United club instead, which was busy but not overly so. In two years of holding the Platinum card, I have not had the opportunity to try the SFO Centurion lounge once. Duh.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I'm a little surprised PHL didn't get hit with the 2 hour rule. I've only been there once but it was absolutely packed and overcrowding seems to be a pretty common problem there from what I've read.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Darn, i changed phones and forgot to copy over my txt messages. Does anyone remember the shortcode to text for the nyt codes? On a little metal plaque as u walk in. Just the number, thx.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.