Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
My take on the over-crowding at MIA and SFO has to do more with where these CLs are located. They are located right in the midst of all the gates where the domestic flights depart out of. If SFO CL were located in Terminal G and MIA CL located in E, they would probably get less traffic. IAH and DFW CLs are located in the airport's "International" terminals and although they can get crowded at times, they don't feel like a zoo.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum and Marriott Platinum Elite
Can someone help me out. I have the platinum card and my wife is an AU. When visiting the centurion lounge at the same time. Does this mean I can bring in 2 guest and my wife can also bring in 2 guest under her card? I've asked around and have gotten different answers

Cheers

Last edited by DeltaAddict; Dec 27, 2017 at 10:32 pm
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by DeltaAddict
Does this mean I can bring in 2 guest and my wife can also bring in 2 guest under her card?
Yes.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by Time traveller
My take on the over-crowding at MIA and SFO has to do more with where these CLs are located. They are located right in the midst of all the gates where the domestic flights depart out of. If SFO CL were located in Terminal G and MIA CL located in E, they would probably get less traffic. IAH and DFW CLs are located in the airport's "International" terminals and although they can get crowded at times, they don't feel like a zoo.
I was disappointed the CL in SFO was in the United Terminal, which already had a lounge. It seems it was the only available space at SFO. Given its location, even as a weekly flyer, I visited it a total on one time, owing to the time/distance to reach it from T2, where I usually flew from.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:39 am

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
SFO, and specifically, the "United terminal" (T3) at SFO, must be its own strange beast in terms of lounges. It seems as though the UA lounges are always crammed full. The CL usually seems to be at capacity. Is there something about the nature of the Bay Area which makes lounge access particularly popular (younger, tech crowd that's more credit card-savvy)? Is the lounge capacity somehow limited compared with UA's other hubs?

It's true the SFO CL would probably be less crowded if it were located more inconveniently. I'm not as great a fan of the IAH CL food, but at least I can always find a place to sit after I trek through the bowels of the airport.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Was there last week with my kids. We did manage to find a table to sit, and there was food, but there was a long waiting list for the shower - at least a few hours' wait which made it impossible to use. I do hope they can find a way to expand or build another one somewhere. Also hope they open the UA lounge again soon which should take some heat off.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:46 am

There are only two ways to solve the overcrowding problem. Either you restrict access to the lounges or you make the lounges larger. If a small number of card members use the lounge a disproportionate amount of times it would make sense to limit access. If use is evenly spread amongst card members then restricting access doesn't make much sense.

A few potential ways to help alleviate the problem of overcrowding:

1. Primary cardholder is allowed two guests.. Up to two additional children (under 18) are $25 a piece, no additional adults (18 and over) permitted.

2. Authorized cardholders are allowed one guest only. No additional adults permitted. One additional child permitted for $25.

3. Guests on non connecting flights should not be allowed to enter the lounge more than 2 hours prior to their time of departure without paying a $25 fee. The lounge should be mainly utilized by connecting passengers with long layovers, not people who plan on arriving early on purpose to score a free meal.

4. Each lounge location can only be visited twice in one month. Cardmembers can pay $25 per visit if they wish to access the lounge more than twice a month in a single location.

5. No lounge access for cardmembers who have arrived at their destination and aren't flying anywhere else in the next 24 hours.

6. The platinum business cardholders should be restricted to two guests (but no guest may be under the age of 18). The card is only supposed to be for business use and if you are traveling with children chances are you arent traveling on business.

7. American Express can offer an enhanced lounge access package for an additional $499 a year. The package would come with unlimited access for the cardholder and three additional guests. Additional adult guests / children can be granted access for $25.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Morpheus4356
There are only two ways to solve the overcrowding problem. Either you restrict access to the lounges or you make the lounges larger. If a small number of card members use the lounge a disproportionate amount of times it would make sense to limit access. If use is evenly spread amongst card members then restricting access doesn't make much sense.

A few potential ways to help alleviate the problem of overcrowding: <snip>
Those draconian suggestions may not eliminate lounge overcrowding but they would certainly go a long way toward answering the question, "what can we do to get our customers to switch to another bank's credit card product?"
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Those draconian suggestions may not eliminate lounge overcrowding but they would certainly go a long way toward answering the question, "what can we do to get our customers to switch to another bank's credit card product?"
How many people have the plat just for, or mostly for, lounge access? I’m guessing a lot. Anything AMEX does to address overcrowding, except for aggresively expanding lounges, is going to drive people away.

That’s a good thing for the rest of us, but very bad for AMEX so unfortunately it will never happen.

The suggestions weren’t even remotely draconian. They don’t go far enough. No more guests at all will go a long way. They should also double the plat AF or only allow Centurion cardholders lounge access.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Morpheus4356
4. Each lounge location can only be visited twice in one month. Cardmembers can pay $25 per visit if they wish to access the lounge more than twice a month in a single location.
I particularly like your idea #4 .
The quantity of Cardmembers in the overall base this would actually affect would be very low. But for handful of cardmembers (so-callerd road warriors) that use the lounge literally every day, this would go a long way to reduce the crowding issue.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Dromomaniac
SFO, and specifically, the "United terminal" (T3) at SFO, must be its own strange beast in terms of lounges. It seems as though the UA lounges are always crammed full. The CL usually seems to be at capacity. Is there something about the nature of the Bay Area which makes lounge access particularly popular (younger, tech crowd that's more credit card-savvy)? Is the lounge capacity somehow limited compared with UA's other hubs?
Just a guess on my part, but I think SFO probably has a higher percentage of wealthy travelers as compared to other UA hubs.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhuey

Just a guess on my part, but I think SFO probably has a higher percentage of wealthy travelers as compared to other UA hubs.
You are probably right on that.

However, I think the core issue of overcrowding at the SFO lounge is the fact that a relatively small group of SFO to LAX and other close-in destinations "commuters" use the lounge constantly. I know there are commuters that use the lounge well over a hundred times per year. But Amex has this information as well and for whatever reason don't want to deal with it by limiting number of visits per cardmember.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by kb9522

How many people have the plat just for, or mostly for, lounge access? I’m guessing a lot. Anything AMEX does to address overcrowding, except for aggresively expanding lounges, is going to drive people away.

That’s a good thing for the rest of us, but very bad for AMEX so unfortunately it will never happen.

The suggestions weren’t even remotely draconian. They don’t go far enough. No more guests at all will go a long way. They should also double the plat AF or only allow Centurion cardholders lounge access.
If they go about it the correct way, they could tie lounge visits in with spend to some degree. I suggested this upthread, but if you got so many passes with your annual fee, then more with actual spend on their cards, it would go a long way to eliminating those cardmembers who just pay an annual fee for lounge access and never spend any money on their cards. And they want people spending, as it generates fees, and generates new retailers accepting their card as more people ask to use Amex.

Amex already knows how much every person who utilizes their lounges spends, as they can only gain access by their card. They also know how often they visit. They just need to determine how many people will drop their card if lounge access is restricted in some way, and who those cardmembers are.

If they feel lounge overcrowding is actually causing people to drop their card / not sign up.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dhuey

That's not who I usually see in the lounge - it appears to be disproportionally full of younger techie/geek-types probably using cards issued by their employers.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
That's not who I usually see in the lounge - it appears to be disproportionally full of younger techie/geek-types probably using cards issued by their employers.
How interesting. That's not at all what I see at SFO. My observation is lots of "road warriors" commuting between SFO and LAX and other destinations with 1 to 2 hour flights. Most commonly in some sort of sales position. I often share tables with them as sharing tables is the norm due to capacity crowds. Not a bad thing, as it usually works out that meeting people is a good thing. While I have met some that would be considered "Captains of Industry", more typically, I meet sales professionals in many different industries including high tech. Can't ever remember sharing a table with a "techie/geek" but I'm sure they exist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.