Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by WearyTravellerMSP
Even two guests is too many. Should be one guest max regardless of relation.
I have to agree with this. It was absolutely insane on Thursday. While waiting for the shower I sat by the reception desk. I saw a couple people come in with six folks (two cardholders) and a couple of rather entitled guys who flashed their card and tried to just waltz in with two guests each. They were "inconvenienced" being asked for ID and boarding passes. Not sure if part of this is the Bay Area culture with all the tech workers or it happens network wide.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:24 pm
Suspended

The simplest and fastest way to help the overcrowding issue is to limit entry for each person on a given year. 20-30 times a year would probably be more than fair since I'm sure 90% of Amex plat holders use less than that. This would force more people to visit other lounges that they more than likely also have access to or otherwise pay the usual $50 entry fee once they go over the limit. I'm based out of SFO and I've only used the lounge twice this year and it's not fair for infrequent travelers like myself to not be able to find a seat.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ultraboosts1
The simplest and fastest way to help the overcrowding issue is to limit entry for each person on a given year. 20-30 times a year would probably be more than fair since I'm sure 90% of Amex plat holders use less than that. This would force more people to visit other lounges that they more than likely also have access to or otherwise pay the usual $50 entry fee once they go over the limit. I'm based out of SFO and I've only used the lounge twice this year and it's not fair for infrequent travelers like myself to not be able to find a seat.
An alternative solution IMHO would be limiting the number of guests to one and paying an additional fee to bring more than one or offering a discounted admission for those bringing more than 1 guest. Or perhaps even set it to no guests at all and just charge a set rate for cardholders wishing to bring guests.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by jr0ck
An alternative solution IMHO would be limiting the number of guests to one and paying an additional fee to bring more than one or offering a discounted admission for those bringing more than 1 guest. Or perhaps even set it to no guests at all and just charge a set rate for cardholders wishing to bring guests.
Distinguishing cardholders and guests is an indirect way to address the problem: the number of persons in the lounge. I think at some point Amex is going to realize that it must tackle the problem directly -- limiting the number of free lounge visits per year. Visit alone or with guests (doesn't matter). You only get so many passes, though. Maybe reward big spenders with more passes.
Old May 16, 2017, 6:16 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by dhuey
Distinguishing cardholders and guests is an indirect way to address the problem: the number of persons in the lounge. I think at some point Amex is going to realize that it must tackle the problem directly -- limiting the number of free lounge visits per year. Visit alone or with guests (doesn't matter). You only get so many passes, though. Maybe reward big spenders with more passes.
That goes against the entire idea of a lounge membership. The real solution is to match supply with demand; if there is huge foot traffic; build a bigger lounge. Or open lounges in more terminals. etc.
Old May 16, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by helvetic
That goes against the entire idea of a lounge membership. The real solution is to match supply with demand; if there is huge foot traffic; build a bigger lounge. Or open lounges in more terminals. etc.
Amex knows how many members it has because it knows how many cards are in circulation. What they don't know is the number of guests a member may bring into a club at any one time.
Thus, building bigger facilities really will not solve the problem. Limiting the number of guests will.

If Amex wishes, it could supply a certain amount of credit to each account which could be used for guest admissions (for example, a $200/yr credit which would be applied to guest admission cost). Then Amex could limit the number of free guests per card to 1 and you pay after that, using the credit until it is used up.

As far as I am concerned, as long as the lounges remain as crowded as they are, I will tend to avoid them. I do have alternatives.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:03 am

You're not buying a lounge membership with the Platinum card. Access to lounges is among the card's benefits. You might like unlimited access to Centurion Lounges -- lots of people seem to like that. Hence the overcrowding.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by dhuey
Based on this logic guests do not count as persons in a lounge? Guests, especially immediate family, are a big problem. No more guests, spouses, children, colleagues, etc. and the most overcrowded lounges (MIA) will quickly stop suffering from this problem.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
Based on this logic guests do not count as persons in a lounge? Guests, especially immediate family, are a big problem. No more guests, spouses, children, colleagues, etc. and the most overcrowded lounges (MIA) will quickly stop suffering from this problem.
Road warrior cardholders who practically live in the lounge are no less a part of the problem than someone who visits half as often, but with a guest each time, or someone who visits a third as often, but with two guests each time. Human in lounge = human in lounge = human in lounge.
Old May 17, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Or... raise the cost of entry substantially in order to reign in demand.

Regards
Old May 23, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: Global Entry/TSA PreCheck
Arrived at the Centurion Lounge in Las Vegas right around noon. It's about 90-95% full. Unfortunately, the place I normally sit is occupied. Fortunately, a table in the dining area opened up right as I arrived, so I have a place to eat.
Old May 23, 2017, 4:39 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
SFO Friday night around 10pm was surprisingly busy. Was able to get a seat but didn't stay long.
Old May 24, 2017, 5:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by scubadu
Or... raise the cost of entry substantially in order to reign in demand.

Regards
Amex did raise the cost of entry to the Amex Centurion Lounges, but it wasn't done with the intention to reduce demand as much as to raise revenue for Amex.
Old May 24, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Amex did raise the cost of entry to the Amex Centurion Lounges, but it wasn't done with the intention to reduce demand as much as to raise revenue for Amex.
A $100 increase, somewhat offset by an Uber credit as well as the existing annual "airline credit" is not even remotely what I mean by "substantially"

Regards
Old May 24, 2017, 6:43 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
We haven't seen what effect, if any, that price increase will have yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.