Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

Germany: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines, Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

In the USA version of Membership Rewards the exceptions are:
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 2,000 Honors points (as of 1/11/2018)
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points
(The Canadian transfer ratios are listed directly on the Canadian site.)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki lists all of the Amex USA airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
  • Qantas Airways

American also has partnership outside OneWorld with:
  • Etihad

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines (DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating in Europe carry additional surcharges; Delta also imposes surcharges on trips using some partner airlines such as China Eastern or China Southern, but notably not on trips involving its European partners (as long as the trip originates outside Europe) or Virgin Australia.)
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE. See also transatlantic strategy discussion HERE. Read about changes to redemption charts in December 2015 HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Avianca Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I'm a new Plat Amex cardholder and I'm just learning the ropes of Membership Rewards points transfers. My understanding is that if I want to top up my wife's SkyMile's account, I cannot transfer my MR points to her account unless she is a supplementary cardholder. Is this correct?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:21 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
I... I cannot transfer my MR points to her account unless she is a supplementary cardholder. Is this correct?
Correct, but you can order a free supplementary Green card on your Platinum account for her. She need never use it, it simply needs to exist. Read more here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...otel-acct.html
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I updated the wiki to add a link to a miles/point expiration policy chart in another forum (which includes at the very least all of the Amex MR USA transfer partners).
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
I did not know. Great point!

Can the points be merged between two accounts (for same accountholder)? My Amex PRG will be up for AF in next summer and if they don't have a retention offer, I will cancel it and use your strategy.

I had the same thoughts on VX merger even though DOJ hasn't cleared it yet. So, it's quite some time away but I'd rather keep my points in MR than tie with an airline.
Answer is yes, you can either call customer service to merge your MR accounts or use your AMEX online account and link your new Everyday MR card. Once merged, using either cards will earn MR points on the same account. In fact, the first thing I did opening the AMEX Plat was to open up the fee free Everyday MR card. It's the most basic way to indefinitely keep your MR points. If you do it right, you can even get a 25k MR bonus for signing up:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...nup-bonus.html

Btw, its best to keep your points in MR form. Rule #3 of this game is, NEVER convert unless you have a need (or know about an upcoming devaluation).

BTW, the VX merger is now official. This month, you'll be able to use Elevate to book Alaskan Air flights. That said, you can use MR to convert to Elevate with a reasonable conversion ratio at 1 MR: 0.5 Elevate. Last time I did the math, for a $69 VX flight, you only need to transfer 5276 MR points (or $52 base value) to get 2638 Elevate points that will redeem for a $69 flight. Now that's a decent conversion deal.

Last edited by mdosu; Jan 4, 2017 at 11:40 pm
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Knowing that MR can be worth 2 cents with a Business Plt card, it is difficult to swallow the sub-1c value for a MR.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by mia
He needs to order a Supplementary Card on his account in your name. It need not be a Supplementary Platinum card, it can be a Green card, which is free. Then points can be transferred to your frequent flyer program accounts. See more here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...otel-acct.html
My father received his personal Platinum card today. When he tried to add me as a supplementary user, he was told I could get a Plat or Gold only. Was the Green card recently removed as an option?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:22 pm
mia

Green isn't a published option on the personal Platinum card, but others have reported success. I would ask again. It is a published option on the Business Platinum.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 1:26 am
mia

Moderator action

Question about "transferring" points earned with one card to another card has been moved:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-another.html
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:58 pm

Would 1 amex MR be worth 1 marriott MR? Assuming there is no Biz PLT involvement.

I am thinking of taking the -

"AMEX MR => SPG => Marriott => WN companion pass" route.

Just looking for some thoughts on the valuation.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:11 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Would 1 amex MR be worth 1 marriott MR? Assuming there is no Biz PLT involvement.

I am thinking of taking the -

"AMEX MR => SPG => Marriott => WN companion pass" route.

Just looking for some thoughts on the valuation.
Well the real question is what value do you put on the endgame of your transfer.

For example, Amex->SPG (in the US at the 3:1 ratio) is generally regarded to be a fairly bad deal. But Amex->SPG->Marriott could be a good deal in some cases, since the SPG->Marriott ratio is a fairly good deal which somewhat offsets the bad deal of the first transfer, and on top of that using Marriott points particularly for high-end properties can sometimes be quite a good deal by itself.

But none of that is your endgame, so the real question is how much you value the companion pass at. If your ultimate valuation comes out at less than 1 cent per MR point, that is almost certainly a bad deal as there are fairly easy ways to get around 1 cent per MR point. If it comes out at 1.5 cents or 2 cents per MR point, different people will have different opinions on that depending how many MR points they have and how else they might choose to use them. If it comes out at say 5 cents per MR point, that is probably a pretty good use.

Are you doing a straight Marriott transfer or a Marriott Cash & Points package? If the latter you would need to decide how much you value the hotel nights at and include that in your calculation as well.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
Well the real question is what value do you put on the endgame of your transfer.

For example, Amex->SPG (in the US at the 3:1 ratio) is generally regarded to be a fairly bad deal. But Amex->SPG->Marriott could be a good deal in some cases, since the SPG->Marriott ratio is a fairly good deal which somewhat offsets the bad deal of the first transfer, and on top of that using Marriott points particularly for high-end properties can sometimes be quite a good deal by itself.

But none of that is your endgame, so the real question is how much you value the companion pass at. If your ultimate valuation comes out at less than 1 cent per MR point, that is almost certainly a bad deal as there are fairly easy ways to get around 1 cent per MR point. If it comes out at 1.5 cents or 2 cents per MR point, different people will have different opinions on that depending how many MR points they have and how else they might choose to use them. If it comes out at say 5 cents per MR point, that is probably a pretty good use.

Are you doing a straight Marriott transfer or a Marriott Cash & Points package? If the latter you would need to decide how much you value the hotel nights at and include that in your calculation as well.
Cash and Points package? If you mean Mariott TP, then yes. I wouldn't do Marriott only transfer. The biggest downside (for me) is the 7nt certificate. I already have one 7nt package from over a year ago (renewed once) and still haven't been able to use it.

My max valuation of Amex MR is 2cents (w/ biz platinum). Much less otherwise... so let's say 270K amex MR will be worth $2700. Buying 90K starpoints is $3150 at full price.
270K TP yields 120K RR and hotel package. 120K WN points are worth $1800 (@1.5cents). Now, they get doubled in value with a companion pass therefore $3600 just on WN part of the transfer and 7nt cat5 certificate on top. I am guessing 7 nights in a cat5 has to be atleast worth $1000?

Numbers wise it seems to be a good deal. Call me a skeptic but these numbers are not convincing me. If it was such a great deal everybody would have been doing it.

What am I missing here?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Green isn't a published option on the personal Platinum card, but others have reported success. I would ask again. It is a published option on the Business Platinum.
I've tried three times now to get a Green card, without success, on the personal Platinum. Does anyone have any tips or secret words I should mention to get a Green additional card?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 7:32 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Cash and Points package? If you mean Mariott TP, then yes. I wouldn't do Marriott only transfer. The biggest downside (for me) is the 7nt certificate. I already have one 7nt package from over a year ago (renewed once) and still haven't been able to use it.

My max valuation of Amex MR is 2cents (w/ biz platinum). Much less otherwise... so let's say 270K amex MR will be worth $2700. Buying 90K starpoints is $3150 at full price.
270K TP yields 120K RR and hotel package. 120K WN points are worth $1800 (@1.5cents). Now, they get doubled in value with a companion pass therefore $3600 just on WN part of the transfer and 7nt cat5 certificate on top. I am guessing 7 nights in a cat5 has to be atleast worth $1000?

Numbers wise it seems to be a good deal. Call me a skeptic but these numbers are not convincing me. If it was such a great deal everybody would have been doing it.

What am I missing here?
Have you looked into the sort of secret 5 night Marriott nights and flights packages? They are worth a Google if not.

As for your math, I could poke only a few holes:
--The valuation of the 120k miles being doubled only applies fully if you'll be able to use them all before the companion pass expires
--Value of 7 nights in a Cat 5 is up to you. Personally I'd value it on the lower end just because given the choices for Cat 5 properties, I'd likely be using only a few nights and throwing the rest away so might just value it at a few hundred $. But if you can find a reasonable use then by all means include that value in your calculation.

So if you can get around those limitations, you could argue this is worth $4500 or more for 270k MR points. Which is a good value, but not outstanding. Many people here are looking to save up for business class awards, where 270k MR points can be worth $10,000 or more in nominal ticket value if used carefully. I've gotten $20,000 in nominal ticket value for that many MR points, though granted I never would have spent $20,000 of cash on the flights I redeemed for.

But you can also do a lot worse with your MR points, so if this produces good value for you then by all means go for it.

As for why everyone isn't doing it, I imagine because the Amex to Marriott transfer option is fairly new so people hadn't thought of it. The option has existed for longer through Chase so maybe people on that board are all over this idea

Also you probably already know but transferred points soon won't count toward Companion Pass so if you're going to do it now's your last chance.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
Have you looked into the sort of secret 5 night Marriott nights and flights packages? They are worth a Google if not.

As for your math, I could poke only a few holes:
--The valuation of the 120k miles being doubled only applies fully if you'll be able to use them all before the companion pass expires
--Value of 7 nights in a Cat 5 is up to you. Personally I'd value it on the lower end just because given the choices for Cat 5 properties, I'd likely be using only a few nights and throwing the rest away so might just value it at a few hundred $. But if you can find a reasonable use then by all means include that value in your calculation.

So if you can get around those limitations, you could argue this is worth $4500 or more for 270k MR points. Which is a good value, but not outstanding. Many people here are looking to save up for business class awards, where 270k MR points can be worth $10,000 or more in nominal ticket value if used carefully. I've gotten $20,000 in nominal ticket value for that many MR points, though granted I never would have spent $20,000 of cash on the flights I redeemed for.

But you can also do a lot worse with your MR points, so if this produces good value for you then by all means go for it.

As for why everyone isn't doing it, I imagine because the Amex to Marriott transfer option is fairly new so people hadn't thought of it. The option has existed for longer through Chase so maybe people on that board are all over this idea

Also you probably already know but transferred points soon won't count toward Companion Pass so if you're going to do it now's your last chance.

I agree with point #1. It is based on assuming that I will be able to use those points before cc expiration.

Again, I agree that Cat5 does not have very lucrative opportunities but it is easy to upgrade to Cat7/8 as well. Some higher end properties or Asian properties at lower categories can give phenomenal value but problem of 7nt remains the same. 5nt certificates are a thing of the past. They don't have give those to Marriott Plats anymore.

Anyway, besides the few things that you have mentioned (which I am not assuming as a concern), it does not seem to be a bad idea going this route. Thanks for your comments. ^
Old Feb 5, 2017, 4:59 pm

A question about for Amex in Canada:

When transferring points from Amex MR to SPG, I noticed the following terms on the Amex website:

“Minimum transfer of 3,000 points; additional transfers must be made in increments of 100. Member must have one qualified stay at a participating Starwood property in the preceding 12 months in order to use the transferred Starpoints®.”

Does anyone know if they enforce the qualified stay requirement?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.