Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

Germany: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines, Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

In the USA version of Membership Rewards the exceptions are:
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 2,000 Honors points (as of 1/11/2018)
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points
(The Canadian transfer ratios are listed directly on the Canadian site.)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki lists all of the Amex USA airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
  • Qantas Airways

American also has partnership outside OneWorld with:
  • Etihad

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines (DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating in Europe carry additional surcharges; Delta also imposes surcharges on trips using some partner airlines such as China Eastern or China Southern, but notably not on trips involving its European partners (as long as the trip originates outside Europe) or Virgin Australia.)
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE. See also transatlantic strategy discussion HERE. Read about changes to redemption charts in December 2015 HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Avianca Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 9:23 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Are points kept separate between personal and business accounts for the same account holder?
Normally, all of the cards on which you are the primary cardholder are linked to the same Membership Rewards account. You can verify this at membershiprewards.com by noting the MR account number or simply by seeing if activity from all cards is displayed. If Blue for Business is the only Membership Rewards card that you hold the points balance will be preserved, but you will not have the ability to transfer to airline or hotel programs. You would need to add an Everyday, Green, Gold or Platinum card to restore transfers.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by mia
Normally, all of the cards on which you are the primary cardholder are linked to the same Membership Rewards account. You can verify this at membershiprewards.com by noting the MR account number or simply by seeing if activity from all cards is displayed. If Blue for Business is the only Membership Rewards card that you hold the points balance will be preserved, but you will not have the ability to transfer to airline or hotel programs. You would need to add an Everyday, Green, Gold or Platinum card to restore transfers.
^ thanks mia
Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:36 pm

I have 80,000 Amex Rewards points. I need 2 RT LAX-IAD (DC). Was thinking about transferring to V America but that doesn't seem like a lot of value as I can't get any extra Elevate Status from the transfer (unlike the deal that was floating around last fall). Is booking thru Amex my best bet for the max amount of benefit?

Also - going to cancel my Gold card and need another Amex that I can safely transfer the points to and still use for travel, w/no annual fee. I saw that the Everyday was suggested here, I'm assuming it's not the Everday preferred ($95 fee)?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 4:12 am
mia

Originally Posted by aija
... I need 2 RT LAX-IAD (DC).
Have you looked at award seat availability for your dates on Delta or United?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by mia
Have you looked at award seat availability for your dates on Delta or United?
Yes, Delta doesn't have the flight times I need but United does. Amex doesn't transfer direct to United. From what I can gleam, they do transfer to Singapore KrisFlyer and from there I can try to transfer to United, the 40,000 for FC RT is tempting, though in a quick search on United no Saver seats come up at all for that route. Sounds very complicated. Anyone try this successfully?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:31 am
mia

...transfer to Singapore KrisFlyer and from there I can try to transfer to United, ...
Close. You can transfer to Aeroplan (Air Canada), ANA or Singapore Airlines and you redeem through that program for a partner flight operated by United. The number of miles required is determined by the program, not by UA. You must find Saver availability. Do not transfer if it isn't available.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Close. You can transfer to Aeroplan (Air Canada), ANA or Singapore Airlines and you redeem through that program for a partner flight operated by United. The number of miles required is determined by the program, not by UA. You must find Saver availability. Do not transfer if it isn't available.
So far no Saver seats on United. Should I trans AMex - Starwood -Alaska for use on their Virgin flights?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:32 pm
mia

Should I trans AMex - Starwood -Alaska for use on their Virgin flights?
No. The transfer ratio from Membership Rewards to Starwood is 1000:333

Virgin America is a direct Membership Rewards transfer partner:

https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...viewfullsite=y
Old Mar 18, 2017, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Transfer to a brand new Aeroplan - any potential issues?

After studying the Aeroplan chart I figure the remaining "bright spot" of NA-EU would work well for us, comparing to DL's chart. I decide to transfer to Aeroplan, as not only the miles needed on Aeroplan is less than DL, but transfer to Aeroplan is free versus to DL incurring the Exercise Tax at $0.0006 per mile?

Set up a new Aeroplan account 3 days ago and successfully linked it to AMEX. Got the usual Fraud Alert email from AMEX on linking new FFP. Finally got Aeroplan "Welcome" email yesterday - so looks like account set up is good to go.

My remaining "worry" is, a large amount transfer to a new account (both the Aeroplan side and the AMEX side - newly linked) would it cause any issues?

Anybody has any experiences?
Old Mar 18, 2017, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I've been wondering about Aeroplan too but supposedly AC's deal with the separate company which manages the program runs out in 2020 and the AC CEO has said there will be a devaluation.

Maybe he didn't use the word "devaluation" but he wants to renegotiate the terms.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 1:12 pm

People new to Aeroplan should make sure they understand fuel surcharges before transferring points. Might be in for sticker shock otherwise
Old Mar 18, 2017, 1:34 pm
mia

Originally Posted by crimsona
... fuel surcharges ...
There are links to three useful threads in the Wikipost. Read the paragraph headed:

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:

Please update the Wikipost if there are better resources (even if located outside Flyertalk.)
Old Mar 18, 2017, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
I've been wondering about Aeroplan too but supposedly AC's deal with the separate company which manages the program runs out in 2020 and the AC CEO has said there will be a devaluation.

Maybe he didn't use the word "devaluation" but he wants to renegotiate the terms.
From the discussions centered on this, it seems AC wants to reduce the AC seats available to Aeroplan. Currently Aeroplan is the LARGEST user of AC's seats.

You do not want to redeem on AC metal anyway because of the hefty YQ, pretty much like not to use BA. You use the miles on the Star A partners that AC does not charge YQ on.

Besides, 2020 is a long 2.5 years from now. I am sure we would use up our points in 2018 so not going to worry about it. AC has already devalued another big time end of 2015, the cheap mini RTW was gone, the dirt cheap premium cabin redemption for intra-Asia partner flights were gone. The only remaining area that is still competitive is the NA-EU especially when redeeming as a R/T due to the 2 stopovers 1 OJ feature that no other FFP allows.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimsona
People new to Aeroplan should make sure they understand fuel surcharges before transferring points. Might be in for sticker shock otherwise
No doubt a good warning to those who do not do their homework before engaging with an FFP. In that case those who got caught, deserved to be caught because they are lazy not to do the homework.

There are enough Star A partners AC does not charge YQ on or a much reduced YQ. Absolutely no reason to use AC itself or the partners when AC charges HIGH YQ.

The last thing you want to do is to redeem flights on AC metal, you would be fleeced. It is astonishing to me how so many Canadians have not the slightest clue on that hence Aeroplan has been the single largest user of AC seats, granted for the domestic Canada flights the Canadians have no choice if they want to use their Aeroplan miles. But the Canadians now can use POT, WestJet, and their Air Miles can be more useful for the domestic flights.

I was appalled that my SIL paid over$600 to redeem 2 coach tickets on AC for a trip to PEK - she could easily fly UA or BR or even going the "long way" on SK, and paid $50 or much less, like below $10 if on BR, for the same miles. Ignorance is not something one can help.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 18, 2017 at 3:09 pm
Old Mar 24, 2017, 3:52 pm

After years of many Amex cards with specific partner awards (Delta, SPG, etc.). I'm looking to start my first Amex to earn regular Member Rewards.

At this point, I'd like to build up some MRs, and then convert them to a UA partner (singapore, Air Canada, or Nippon), so I can fly on UA. I'm looking for specific threads/forums for people's experiences booking UA flights via Miles from partner carriers, if someone can point me in the right direction?

thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.