Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I transfer MR points from a one card to another?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Can I transfer MR points from a one card to another?

I have the personal Platinum card and about 100k MR points on it. My application was approved on 2/4/16, so my annual fee is coming up soon. I would like to cancel that card and get the business platinum card (taking advantage of the 100k sign up bonus which expires tomorrow).

If I get the business card, can I transfer my personal MR points to its account, and cancel my personal card? I'm not too familiar with Amex - I know with Chase, my personal and business cards are tied to separate logons and I don't believe there's a way to transfer UR points between accounts.

What are the "mechanics" of transferring the points? E.g. will the accounts appear on the same logon page (the way my personal platinum and personal SPG accounts) do now?

Basically I'm just wondering if this is a straightforward process, and if I can do something like the following:

- apply for business card today, hopefully receive it in a few days, and see it on my (single) Amex logon page
- transfer personal MR points to business account
- cancel personal card before 2/4/17.

Searched around and the only references I find to keeping MR points after canceling a card are about opening a no-fee personal card.

Thank you!
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
One account, one login for both cards. No need to transfer.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by safigan
One account, one login for both cards. No need to transfer.
Ah, ok - so if I'm understanding correctly, the points are associated with my login, and not with the card (unlike Chase)? So if I just cancel the personal card, nothing will change from a MR perspective?

Thanks!

Last edited by monkeys; Jan 24, 2017 at 11:32 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:31 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by monkeys
...points are associated with my login
Not exactly. You could have multiple logins, multiple cards and still have only one Membership Rewards account. This is normal. However, it does sometime happen that a separate Membership Rewards account is created for a specific card. If you can see activity from all of your cards in the same MR account you can close all except one card without affecting the balance.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Ok, got it. I just applied for the business platinum card (and was approved). Right after approval it gave me the option to link it to my preexisting login, and when I log in now I see all 3 cards (personal platinum and SPG, business platinum).

I need to cancel the personal platinum card in the next week or so, and I won't earn any MR points with the business card by then. Is there a way to see if they are all part of the same MR account?

For what it's worth, when I log on, the personal platinum card is the "default" one, and in the upper right (under "My Accounts") there's a section which shows my MR # and point balance. Similar for the SPG card. However when I select the business card, there is no section for points.

In other words, there is no way to even see my MR point balance unless I first select the personal platinum card. It's as if the business platinum card doesn't have anything to do with MR points.

Does this mean that the business card isn't "linked" to the MR account?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:10 pm
mia

...Is there a way to see if they are all part of the same MR account?
  • Login to membershiprewards.com
  • Click: your points balance (upper right, in green) > Points Summary
  • Click: Your Cards (righthand side)
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
  • Login to membershiprewards.com
  • Click: your points balance (upper right, in green) > Points Summary
  • Click: Your Cards (righthand side)
Ok - getting somewhere! The personal card is the only one there. But right below it there's a "View Eligible Cards" link. If I click that, I get a popup with the business card. But I don't know what to do from here - it seems like I should be able to somehow move the business card from the "eligible cards" list to the "your cards" list - but there's nothing to click. Am I missing something?

Thank you for all the help so far!
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:09 pm
mia

... The personal card is the only one there. But right below it there's a "View Eligible Cards" link. If I click that, I get a popup with the business card. ...
Not sure there is anything that needs to be done, but I would do this:

If you don't see all of your Cards listed here, please call 1-800-297-1300 for more information.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:29 pm
mia

For reference, I looked at ms mia's Membership Rewards account and her new, not yet used, Business Platinum is listed in Your Cards, not in Eligible Cards. Not sure what the function of the Eligible Cards list is.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again for the help and reference points! I'll give them a call if it's not there in the next couple days. Do you mind me asking when you were approved for the business platinum? Maybe it just takes some time to show up...
Old Jan 24, 2017, 2:41 pm
mia

...asking when you were approved......
Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Just an update: today the membership rewards section appeared on the page for my business platinum card (just like for the personal card), and when following mia's steps (starting with going to membershiprewards.com), it's now on the "your cards" list.

So maybe this is useful to someone else (maybe if they are applying today as it's the last day for the 100k bonus) - give it a day and hopefully it will be linked to your MR account automatically.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Hypothetical question - Can I transfer points from PRG/Platinum card to no fee Everyday card and then back again?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Hypothetical question - Can I transfer points from PRG/Platinum card to no fee Everyday card and then back again?
My Plat and Everyday cards use the same (linked) Membership Rewards account. There's nothing to transfer.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 9:28 am

I have the personal Platinum card and about 100k MR points on it. My application was approved on 2/4/16, so my annual fee is coming up soon. I would like to cancel that card and get the business platinum card (taking advantage of the 100k sign up bonus which expires tomorrow).

If I get the business card, can I transfer my personal MR points to its account, and cancel my personal card? I'm not too familiar with Amex - I know with Chase, my personal and business cards are tied to separate logons and I don't believe there's a way to transfer UR points between accounts.

What are the "mechanics" of transferring the points? E.g. will the accounts appear on the same logon page (the way my personal platinum and personal SPG accounts) do now?

Basically I'm just wondering if this is a straightforward process, and if I can do something like the following:

- apply for business card today, hopefully receive it in a few days, and see it on my (single) Amex logon page
- transfer personal MR points to business account
- cancel personal card before 2/4/17.

Searched around and the only references I find to keeping MR points after canceling a card are about opening a no-fee personal card.

Thank you!
You can call chase and they are able to combine the logins(points).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.