Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread is a continuation of a discussion which started HERE.
Print Wikipost

Amex Concierge: What have they done for you?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:35 pm

Requested concierge to secure 6 tickets Hamilton SF Amex-presale.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:37 pm

Concierge just got me a reservation for 4 at a sought-after restaurant in Tampa on Saturday night. OpenTable didn't have availability and neither did the restaurant when I called. The concierge checked online then called the restaurant and forced availability. He said they didn't want to do it but he made it happen. Not sure what type of leverage AmEx has? Given that it wasn't the exact time and I know they didn't have any availability I tend to believe him. Will definitely keep it in mind in the future.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
The concierge checked online then called the restaurant and forced availability. He said they didn't want to do it but he made it happen.
No way. Concierge who claims this is full of it. Restaurants are also Amex customers. Amex is not going to bully a restaurant into doing this.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by drwilliams
No way. Concierge who claims this is full of it. Restaurants are also Amex customers. Amex is not going to bully a restaurant into doing this.
Maybe "Forced" is too strong of a word. "Pretty, pretty, pretty please" might be more like it. Or maybe he just called and snagged their standing 8:15 AmEx reservation? I really don't know but I find it hard to believe AmEx is putting on much of a show about reservation availability. Honestly I'd be more impressed if they would have just had one without calling.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
Requested concierge to secure 6 tickets Hamilton SF Amex-presale.
Score! Concierge secured my 6 tickets.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:39 pm

Nice! They were able to get me 4 tickets in orchestra together for a Saturday night in July. My sister is ecstatic since I got these for her. The wait for a concierge rep was a little over 2.5 hours, but it was well worth it.

They've also been able to get me Hamilton NYC tickets in the past during a pre-sale period with their own allotment of tickets. (Bought them in June/July, and have been anxiously counting the days until the date of the show in March haha).
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriot LTP, Hyatt Globalist
A concierge was able to get tickets to Hamilton in SF for me as well. Since I was 25,192nd in line (seriously), the 1 1/2 hour hold time was worth the wait for great seats on a Saturday night.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I've posted before saying that I've had success using the concierge for tickets. That's still true, for events that haven't yet gone on sale where I just want the concierge to pounce on them right when they become available.

However, for tickets that are already available, I've found the service to be miserable. Example: I wanted to get tickets to an NFL game, and was hoping to avoid the absurd StubHub or NFL Exchange fees. A few emails and it looked like they had stuff for about the same price, but lower fees, though not in the sections I wanted.

Finally got time to call in, and the guy was literally saying to me, "Well, hold on, the ticketmaster site is having trouble loading." He said nothing was available in my desired sections...it was then that I loaded ticketmaster myself and realized what they were quoting me via email was simply just the seats that were still available for regular purchase directly from the venue, just without the $2 ticketmaster processing fee. I asked him if he could check secondary market tickets, and he proceeded to tell me he would load up StubHub, where he quoted me the exact same things I could get for myself, fees and all. Didn't even attempt their ticket broker (and I didn't push for it as I'd heard their prices were absurd).

I guess it's still worth the occasional email because I know sometimes Amex has a few tickets reserved that can be snagged after the generally available ones are gone, but lesson learned - if you can do it yourself on StubHub/Ticketmaster, just stick with that and avoid the hassle.

Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
Maybe "Forced" is too strong of a word. "Pretty, pretty, pretty please" might be more like it. Or maybe he just called and snagged their standing 8:15 AmEx reservation? I really don't know but I find it hard to believe AmEx is putting on much of a show about reservation availability. Honestly I'd be more impressed if they would have just had one without calling.
The rep was just trying to show off. I'm 99% certain this is just a restaurant that has a protected reservation time specifically for Amex, negotiated through their Fine Dining program or whatever they're calling it these days. All the concierge needs to do is call in and say they have someone that wants it, and it's done. No coercing or begging necessary.

In exchange, that restaurant likely ends up at or near the top of the recommendations list anytime someone calls and asks for a nice place to eat in Tampa.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 6:07 pm

Congrat's and btw, thanks for the posts. I somehow hadn't focused on this, but when I saw your post, I called last week. Well, I was happy to get my two tix with no effort besides the call. Cheers.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by adn232
Nice! They were able to get me 4 tickets in orchestra together for a Saturday night in July. My sister is ecstatic since I got these for her. The wait for a concierge rep was a little over 2.5 hours, but it was well worth it.

They've also been able to get me Hamilton NYC tickets in the past during a pre-sale period with their own allotment of tickets. (Bought them in June/July, and have been anxiously counting the days until the date of the show in March haha).
Originally Posted by wcrhkd
A concierge was able to get tickets to Hamilton in SF for me as well. Since I was 25,192nd in line (seriously), the 1 1/2 hour hold time was worth the wait for great seats on a Saturday night.
Next time, simply call the concierge in advance and place the request before the sale date. No need to wait on the phone.

Glad you both got tickets.

Originally Posted by jeepie
Congrat's and btw, thanks for the posts. I somehow hadn't focused on this, but when I saw your post, I called last week. Well, I was happy to get my two tix with no effort besides the call. Cheers.
Awesome, high five!
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:30 am

Next time, simply call the concierge in advance and place the request before the sale date. No need to wait on the phone.

Glad you both got tickets.

Awesome, high five!
When you called in the request in advance, was the concierge aware that they would have their own allotment of tickets or did they tell you that they would try their best on the day the pre-sale started? I've always wanted to do an advance request for other concerts or sporting events; curious if the concierge knows beforehand if they'll have tickets reserved for Plat/Centurion cardholders, but figured for certain things (definitely not Hamilton haha), I would be better off doing it myself.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by adn232
When you called in the request in advance, was the concierge aware that they would have their own allotment of tickets or did they tell you that they would try their best on the day the pre-sale started? I've always wanted to do an advance request for other concerts or sporting events; curious if the concierge knows beforehand if they'll have tickets reserved for Plat/Centurion cardholders, but figured for certain things (definitely not Hamilton haha), I would be better off doing it myself.
They may have known but they didn't let on during the call. However, for other events, you can always try yourself + have them try. Assuming you aren't exceeding any ticket limits it can't hurt.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Well, they couldn't get me into my restaurant of choice for New Years. I guess they can't always do miracles.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Accor Diamond
A bit deceived by my first experience with Amex concierge. Tried to make a reservation at The Test Kitchen in CPT. Called concierge ahead of the release of the reservation spots (it was in the middle of the night for me) and gave multiple dates.

I called today because I didn't receive any news in 8 days. The person on the phone told me they called 2 hours after reservations were opened and it was of course fully booked on my dates.

I should have probably done it myself but I thought I should give the concierge a try. I knew it was possible they werent going to be able to do it. What shocked me is that they never email or call me back despite verifying all my contact information. She was very apologetic and said she would try to offer me suggestions of other restaurants. Appreciated but...
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:18 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
They're working on a restaurant reservation for me. I also got thanked for my "valued and loyal platinum membership"! I only put $300/Mo on thr card, but I'll take it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.