Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread is a continuation of a discussion which started HERE.
Print Wikipost

Amex Concierge: What have they done for you?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat (won't last), Hilton Gold
I'm pretty steamed. Just got the tickets to Hamilton that I bought through the AmEx concierge months ago - and they are marked "partial view" - but were full price, in the orchestra, and I was never told they would not be full view. Not even sure who to call about this - called the actual concierge and was on hold for about 20 minutes before giving up.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 6:03 pm

Not able to get a reservation at State Bird Provisions in SF.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by travellingwineO
Try The Progress, it's next door to SBP, or Al's Place.

Concierge unable to secure ressies at Kokkari in a few wks but they suggested several good options that were available. JPM Concierge also unable to secure ressies.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by onetess
I'm pretty steamed. Just got the tickets to Hamilton that I bought through the AmEx concierge months ago - and they are marked "partial view" - but were full price, in the orchestra, and I was never told they would not be full view. Not even sure who to call about this - called the actual concierge and was on hold for about 20 minutes before giving up.
Where do they say partial view? I bought through pre sale (they were 199 each before fees) and they just say orchestra right on the ticket itself.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 2:11 am

called the Cent Concierge to book a table in london at novikov for lunch on saturday, 2 adult and one baby... they told me its full.
Opened opentable and booked !
Very useless the amex lady.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:52 pm

I know this is slightly off topic, but it is the reason I will always have an Amex:

I was in Barcelona for two weeks right after Amex began to issue cards with chips, and as most of you know the cards with chips cannot be swiped. I'm not certain whether this is still the case, but at the time that is the way the system worked. Either my Plat Amex chip never worked, or was damaged at some point (this was the first chance I ever had to use the chip function). At the time, it was the only card in my wallet that didn't charge an fx fee. Finally, at one merchant, I figured out the card wasn't declined, but that the card reader said the chip was bad. I called Amex that afternoon, in Spain, and I had a brand new Amex card the next day around 2PM Spanish time. That was the best customer service, and in stark contrast to two situations I've had since with Citi. On both occasions, Citi refused to send me a new card to an international destination.

Not specifically related to the concierge service, but it's the reason I generally use my Amex first, and one man's opinion.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
Trip reports on a city/region traveling to. Sometimes the info received is as good as your request. Definitely a nice benefit.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
Reservations are limited to begin with. Arrive an hour before opening, you should get in as 'walk in' if you are >4.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
The AMex Concierge has been very unsuccessful in getting me luxury sports cars at a reasonable price in Europe.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, M&M HON & SPG Plat
Today I tried to reserve a table for 2 at Michel Roux Jr's Le Gavroche, AMEX couldn't do it for the dates I wanted and after a 5 minute call to the restaurant I got the dates I wanted.

This isn't the first time this has happened and it is becoming more frequent when using AMEX Concierge regardless of whether it is my UK Plat or German Cent, has anyone elae noticed that dining requests are being left unfulfilled.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:51 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TheFlyingPanda
Today I tried to reserve a table for 2 at Michel Roux Jr's Le Gavroche, AMEX couldn't do it for the dates I wanted and after a 5 minute call to the restaurant I got the dates I wanted.

This isn't the first time this has happened and it is becoming more frequent when using AMEX Concierge regardless of whether it is my UK Plat or German Cent, has anyone elae noticed that dining requests are being left unfulfilled.
Sometimes I have to push them to call the restaurant. Often they'll just check OpenTable which usually only has a fraction of the availability.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, M&M HON & SPG Plat
Originally Posted by United747
Sometimes I have to push them to call the restaurant. Often they'll just check OpenTable which usually only has a fraction of the availability.
Wow, if that is what they do then I would debate whether it is worth the fee.

I can check Open Table and find poor availability with ease although this restaurant isn't on Open Table AFAIK so I don't know what they do sometimes.

Admittedly in the past they have done well with shopping and tickets but dining, leaves a lot to be desired.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:50 pm

I called concierge 3 months in advance for a reservation at State Bird for Valentine's day this year. They were able to get me a table.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:51 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I've had great luck with the concierge for many things, I especially enjoy using the email to [email protected] feature as I can be very specific in what I request, I find this is usually the best way to get a good effort out the concierge especially for research projects. I do typically call for restaurant reservations, however.

I've gotten last second reservations at Le Bernadin and a table at Gordon Ramsay Steak in Las Vegas on New Years Eve, at 7pm, when Opentable indicated no reservations for the entire day.

I once had the concierge call every liquor store in the state of Oregon and compile a spreadsheet with various information related to the shipment and allocation of rare Buffalo Trace bourbons. I've also used them to find and reserve numerous other rare bottles.

I've used them to locate and ship via products not available in the US through third party services, they coordinate this very well and for a reasonable cost.

They are remarkably good at determining particular items of clothing that are worn in television shows even when this information is not at all available online. I do wonder how they obtain it.

They will research the layouts and amenities of airports and provide detailed reports including which lounges will be accessible for certain departing and arriving flights, exiting and reentering security restrictions, etc.

They will write excellent research reports on local attractions, even for very specific requests. I once requested some things to do in Bochum, Germany (pop. 360k) on Sundays and received a nine item, 1700 word report that was not copy-and-pasted that proved to be very accurate and extremely useful, as I can testify after having lived in Bochum for a time.

They also made a good effort, but failed, at my request for them to locate a company that would sell me genuine airline catering for home consumption
Old Nov 30, 2016, 10:42 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Texted them earlier for help with AAA baseball tickets. They struck out (pun intended). I'll just call them myself, I know what I want is available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.