Amex Concierge: What have they done for you?

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 26, 20, 2:49 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
This thread is a continuation of a discussion which started HERE.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 5, 15, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Amex Concierge: What have they done for you?

Used Amex Plat Concierge to book tee times at Torrey Pines Golf Course during a trip to San Diego area. The hotel concierge could not book and I woud've had to go to course super early to get on wait-list. The transaction was very fast and I received e-mail confirmation of the reservation the same day.
Old Jan 5, 15, 6:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I have asked them find a venue for some informal drinks for about 60 people near Shoreditch in London, but they have been pretty useless so far. They have come up with some options, but not as many as I have then come up with by myself.

I sent an email on Friday asking them to secure one of the venues, and they still haven't got back to me.
Old Jan 5, 15, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I just got City Guides from both Visa and Amex. Thanks to whoever suggested this - it was very quick and the guides are actually quite useful!

Visa, however, did trump Amex a little. Their guides included some hotel suggestions while Amex just had a blurb about contacting PTS for help with travel or hotel arrangements. Also, Visa had guides ready for CMN and RAK, while Amex only had RAK.
Old Jan 6, 15, 12:03 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred & CP
Amex Concierge hasn't been able to get me tickets to any event I've tried (about five times now). Not disappointed but haven't gotten any use out of the service yet.
Old Jan 8, 15, 3:29 am

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Amex Concierge- what have they done for you?

Y'all submit too mundane of requests. Event tickets? C'mon... Get a ticket guy and let a pro handle. They have the same access as everyone else. Nuf said.

My request was to locate this handmade greeting card I picked up in a little German village last week. Took all of 10 minutes - the Concierge had the artist's name, life history and a place I could purchase.

Penguin Greeting Card

Last edited by JAGMAP; Jan 8, 15 at 3:53 am
Old Jan 11, 15, 4:40 am

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c
Originally Posted by JAGMAP View Post
Y'all submit too mundane of requests. Event tickets? C'mon... Get a ticket guy and let a pro handle. They have the same access as everyone else. Nuf said.
This matches my experience. They have proven poor at getting high demand reservations, tickets, etc. but they were able to find where i could purchase a pair of earrings worn in a music video and a pair of slippers seen in a foreign variety tv show. I wonder whether driven by the specific person who handles the request and how self-motivated they are.
Old Jan 16, 15, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by DrGiggles View Post
This matches my experience. They have proven poor at getting high demand reservations, tickets, etc. but they were able to find where i could purchase a pair of earrings worn in a music video and a pair of slippers seen in a foreign variety tv show. I wonder whether driven by the specific person who handles the request and how self-motivated they are.
Re: event tickets - They often can't do any better than what I get on StubHub, but the one niche I've found they are very good at is grabbing face-value tickets from Ticketmaster or the vendor right when they go onsale.

I've used them three or four times when a presale for a high-demand event started at 10am on a Wednesday or something. Not exactly the best time for me to step out of a work meeting and hit refresh on the TM website over and over. But I can email the concierge a couple days ahead of time and they have a 100% success rate in getting the tickets I want, albeit in my admittedly small sample.

Side bonus: When Amex buys your Ticketmaster tickets, there's no online processing fee.
Pittie Pup likes this.
Old Jan 16, 15, 4:20 pm

Tip?

I have tried four or five times over two-three years to use the concierge for restaurant reservations and it never worked well until tonight: we are not going to the most sough-after place in the world but the concierges got us a table two hours earlier than the earliest availability, which is spot-on the hour we wanted.

Tonight we will not spend a lot though, so is it a good idea to tip the guy at the restaurant who got me the table, since the concierge gave me his name ? I would usually never do this, but since our spending will disappoint, maybe it would be a good thing? I was thinking of $10, what do you guys think? Of course the waiter will be generously tipped too.
Old Jan 16, 15, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by af fp View Post
I have tried four or five times over two-three years to use the concierge for restaurant reservations and it never worked well until tonight: we are not going to the most sough-after place in the world but the concierges got us a table two hours earlier than the earliest availability, which is spot-on the hour we wanted.

Tonight we will not spend a lot though, so is it a good idea to tip the guy at the restaurant who got me the table, since the concierge gave me his name ? I would usually never do this, but since our spending will disappoint, maybe it would be a good thing? I was thinking of $10, what do you guys think? Of course the waiter will be generously tipped too.
I see no reason to tip any more than you ordinarily would. Depending on the restaurant, it may have been a table that is reserved specifically for concierge requests (from any credit card or hotel). I doubt they, for example, kicked someone else off their reservation to get you a table.
Old Jan 16, 15, 5:05 pm

Programs: Too many to list
I have only used them twice: once to arrange a flower delivery; and the other to procure a rare limited edition Omega Speedmaster from an obscure dealer in Tokyo (which they were able to do).
Old Jan 16, 15, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
I see no reason to tip any more than you ordinarily would. Depending on the restaurant, it may have been a table that is reserved specifically for concierge requests (from any credit card or hotel). I doubt they, for example, kicked someone else off their reservation to get you a table.
Even in New York? People are so tip-hungry here. But I will rely on your recommendation, just the usual (enhanced) tipping then. No additional banknote.
Old Jan 16, 15, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by af fp View Post
Even in New York? People are so tip-hungry here. But I will rely on your recommendation, just the usual (enhanced) tipping then. No additional banknote.
If you had just walked into the restaurant or called to make your own reservation, would you have tipped the host or maitre'd? If so, more power to you, and that's your choice.

But use that as your guide, not the fact that Amex intervened.
Old Jan 16, 15, 6:12 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
I have only tried the concierge once and it was a negative experience. I called them to help me make reservations for Christmas day dinner and I already gave the lady on the phone three restaurant options. She seemed new and not very experienced in her questions to me, I am not sure if they hire temp help over the holidays. She said she would call or email me back by 1pm eastern. By 3 PM pacific (my time) I still didn't hear back so I called them again. Of course I received a different rep, she said she would leave a note for the original rep to call me. Never heard back from them again and so I made other arrangements.

I received a survey about my experience and gave negative/so-so marks. I then received an email from the concierge apologizing about my experience. The email said they tried to apologize over the phone but that they didn't have my number on file (how is that possible?)
Old Jan 16, 15, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Hmm...I don't know what all the griping is about honestly. I use concierge all the time, and they've scored me some great reservations that I don't have to sit around and try to score myself. French Laundry, Per Se, Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare, Eleven Madison, Sushi Nakazawa, Noma, Fat Duck, and the list goes on and on. Honestly, I think the service is pretty great just for their ability to snag highly sought reservations that I know I don't have the patience to get on my own.

I tend to request reservations for big name restaurants fairly far out - like 30 days or more. I'd say my success rate that way is greater than 95%. There isn't much Amex or anyone can do to get a last-minute hot ticket reservation at a restaurant that is simply booked beyond capacity a month ahead of time. Those restaurants don't bend their rules for Amex or anyone outside of preferred customers, but it does help to have a team of people ready to book a reservation for you the second they become available. (I sometimes think concierge is my personal army. ) I know not everyone can plan that far out, but if you're trying to get in a restaurant to get the experience, you have to do the planning to get it. YMMV, but that works flawlessly for me.
ubiquitous1984 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 15, 5:08 am
Suspended

Other than trying to secure a last minute reservation at a top restaurant, I'm not sure how much value the concierge actually has.

As far as picking hotels/restaurants, I like to do that myself after visiting TripAdvisor so I can check reviews relative to prices, and after doing a little bit of research, I'll pick what best suits me. I wouldn't trust anyone else to do this for me as I'm extremely picky about what I want on a vacation.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: