Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2015?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2015?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:09 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
... hardly have very many reports from Centurion individuals to begin with.
Agreed, but I am looking for any evidence to support this statement:

...once you get a Centurion (for example in Europe), you can "global transfer" back to the USA after your assignment.
It could be true, but what little evidence I have seen suggests that it is not, and therefore I think it is not a strategy we should recommend.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:42 am
mia

Moderator action

Subsequent posts have been exported to a new thread which I have tentatively titled:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-resident.html
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
We have two very recent examples of trying to GT ICC Cent to USA Cent but failed. When you call the GT hotline, they do take a look at your other country's Cent account, and evaluate your spend, then they will tell you if you are eligible or not. Apparently, both of us that tried did not have good spend on our ICC Cent because we put most of our spend on US Plat that comes with no FX fee.

Originally Posted by mia
Agreed, but I am looking for any evidence to support this statement:

It could be true, but what little evidence I have seen suggests that it is not, and therefore I think it is not a strategy we should recommend.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:15 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by AmexCent
We have two very recent examples of trying to GT ICC Cent to USA Cent but failed. When you call the GT hotline, they do take a look at your other country's Cent account, and evaluate your spend, then they will tell you if you are eligible or not. Apparently, both of us that tried did not have good spend on our ICC Cent because we put most of our spend on US Plat that comes with no FX fee.
Can you define (in a general sense) : "did not have good spend on our ICC Cent"

But, it makes perfect sense, if you are not charging in the currency of you ICC Cent card.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:58 am
mia

We have two very recent examples of trying to GT ICC Cent to USA Cent but failed..
Did the discussion go far enough to know if a successful transfer would waive the $7,500 USA initiation fee?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by mia
Did the discussion go far enough to know if a successful transfer would waive the $7,500 USA initiation fee?
I am also quite curious about this.

In addition, are Membership Rewards global? (i.e. if you do a global transfer can you keep your Membership Rewards or do a seamless transfer to another Membership Rewards account?)
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:57 am
mia

... if you do a global transfer can you keep your Membership Rewards or do a seamless transfer to another Membership Rewards account?)
Yes, but if the cards are in different currencies the number of points will be adjusted to reflect the present currency exchange rate.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Yes, but if the cards are in different currencies the number of points will be adjusted to reflect the present currency exchange rate.
and perhaps, even adjust the earnings bonus. Are the Membership Reward earning for the USA Centurion Card still 1 point to $1? Some Euro Centurion Cards earn 1.5 points to €1.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Some Euro Centurion Cards earn 1.5 points to €1.
Could you please elaborate in which countries that's the case? Thanks
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by JohnRain
Could you please elaborate in which countries that's the case? Thanks
Netherlands Centurion is 1.5 membership reward points to €1 spend.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:06 pm
mia

and perhaps, even adjust the earnings bonus.
Bonus points already in an account would be transferrable, same as any other points. The USA-issued card would offer the USA earnings rate.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:30 am

Can you define (in a general sense) : "did not have good spend on our ICC Cent"

But, it makes perfect sense, if you are not charging in the currency of you ICC Cent card.
"Did not have good spend" = less than 10k USD per year
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by mia
In the beginning they did mention that there will be a $7,500 initiation fee if approved. But since we were not approved, can't say for sure if that is something we can negotiate down the line.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:58 am

"Did not have good spend" = less than 10k USD per year
In the beginning they did mention that there will be a $7,500 initiation fee if approved. But since we were not approved, can't say for sure if that is something we can negotiate down the line.
You did not really expect them to approve a Centurion transfer with less than $1000/month of spend?

But, what I'm really trying to figure out is your "angle" with regard to paying for the ICC card (and initiation fee).

The only thing that really makes the NL card worthwhile is if you have huge spend in Euros, the 50% bonus on Membership Rewards earning. I'm not sure there is a better option if you spend big in Euros. For example, if you spend €1 million, you wind up with 500k extra membership reward points each year. Even if you only value Membership Rewards points at €-cent/point it probably still works out ok. Not sure there are that many other (flexible/transferable) loyalty points options for high Euro spend.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
The only thing that really makes the NL card worthwhile is if you have huge spend in Euros, the 50% bonus on Membership Rewards earning. I'm not sure there is a better option if you spend big in Euros. For example, if you spend €1 million, you wind up with 500k extra membership reward points each year.
Are you saying that you're not only earning 1.5 points per euro spent (as per your post #190) but on top of that you get a 50% MR bonus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.