Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX (USA) kills ability to transfer MR to non-account holder's airline or hotel acct

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HookemHorns
Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to airline and hotel accounts in the name of the primary cardholder -or- the name of a supplementary cardholder on any card account linked to the same Membership Rewards account. You only need to request a supplementary card. It need not ever be given to the cardholder, nor used for any purchases. American Express will not issue cards for children under age 13.

Bear in mind that American Express (USA) generally limits customers to four credit cards, plus an unspecified number of charge cards. Most of the cards which can be used to add free supplementary cardholders are credit cards, choose one that you actually want to use,

These products allow you to add free Supplementary cardholders:

PERSONAL CARD ACCOUNTS
  • Premier Rewards Gold charge card. $175 fee for primary card, up to five free supplementary cards.
  • Mercedes-Benz credit card. $95 fee for primary card, free supplementary cards.
  • Everyday Preferred credit card. $95 fee for primary card, free supplementary cards.
  • Everyday credit card. No fee for primary or supplementary cards.
  • Blue from American Express credit card. No fee for primary or supplementary cards, but this card participates in Membership Rewards Express. Express points are not eligible for transfer unless you also hold a card participating in the full Membership Rewards program. Caution: Blue Cash, Blue Cash Everyday, Blue Cash Preferred, Blue Sky and Blue Sky Preferred do not participate in Membership Rewards, and supplementary cardholders are not eligible to receive transfers.

SMALL BUSINESS CARD ACCOUNTS
  • Business Gold Rewards charge card. $175 fee for the primary card, $50 for the first supplementary card, but additional supplementary cards are free.
  • Blue for Business credit card. No fee for primary card or supplementary cards, but this card participates in Membership Rewards Express. Express points are not eligible for transfer unless you also hold a card participating in the full Membership Rewards program. This is the best Membership Rewards card for general spending because it earns a 30% annual bonus on all spending.
Print Wikipost

AMEX (USA) kills ability to transfer MR to non-account holder's airline or hotel acct

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
Originally Posted by mia
Which airline program are you attempting to link?

Is Membership Rewards already linked to your account a the same airline?

When you click Link an additional [airline program name] account. is your husband's name displayed? (select a card holder to link The name selected must match the name on the [airline program name] account statement.
@mia - after linking the AU's airline account within one's AmEx/MR account, is it necessary/possible to use the AU's card to verify the transfer? In my experience, under the "Select a Card you would like to verify" the AU's card is not listed as an option - is this the norm? tia
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:59 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by arfaczar
...In my experience, under the "Select a Card you would like to verify" the AU's card is not listed as an option - is this the norm? tia
I have no direct experience, but if you are logged in to your own online account I expect you would use your own card to verify your identity. You could try creating a separate online account for the additional cardholder, and see if transfers are permitted and which card(s) is presented to authenticate.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
Originally Posted by mia
I have no direct experience, but if you are logged in to your own online account I expect you would use your own card to verify your identity. You could try creating a separate online account for the additional cardholder, and see if transfers are permitted and which card(s) is presented to authenticate.
I'll probably have to create a separate account for the additional card holder (AU), if this ANA transfer fails (initiated on 12/15); so far miles have been deducted, but have not shown up in Mileage Club account.

In the past, transferring to AU's SPG & Delta account has been successful. This is the first time I've tried ANA and was wondering if any FTers had any recent DPs on MR transfers >> additional card holders' ANA accounts?

UPDATE: 1st transfer initiated on Friday night; points posted in AU's ANA account on Tuesday early morning. 2nd transfer initiated on Wednesday morning and posted within 48 hours on Friday morning.

Last edited by arfaczar; Dec 22, 2017 at 8:30 am
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by vinhboy
I just put in the ANA number (the one not in my name). I was surprised it linked. I thought that means I was good to go. But alas, it did not work on transfer.

Surprisingly, the account is still linked to my Amex.

Yea that's what the amex CSR suggested I do as well. But the fees kind of kill the deal. Thanks for all your help mia. :-:

------

Anyways, this change sucks big time. If I had more time I would devise some sort of plan to get the points out, but I need the points out right now so I can book my flight, but that ain't happening.

I have a question regarding ANA and this.

My wife and I have our own separate Amex accounts for our two businesses. We want to take a trip using ANA miles with a friend of ours. If I add her to my Amex Everyday or platinum whatever as an authorized user, I should then be able to transfer to her ANA account the required miles. But then, can I also transfer points from the same account but to my ANA account? OR will it only let me link one ANA per Amex primary account holder/authorized users?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I never did ANA but for Delta and other airlines I was able to link and transfer both to my account and any AU.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:33 pm

Transferring to Primary's multiple accounts with same airlines

Hello, Over the years I ended up having 4 FF accounts with the same airline and now I have a need to transfer to each of these accounts. Its for same airline and all accounts are under same name. Can I just link and delink for each transfer. Has anyone done something like this and does Amex allows such transfers. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by sgbalco
Hello, Over the years I ended up having 4 FF accounts with the same airline and now I have a need to transfer to each of these accounts. Its for same airline and all accounts are under same name. Can I just link and delink for each transfer. Has anyone done something like this and does Amex allows such transfers. Thanks in advance.
I would call the airline to combine all your FF accounts into one.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Transfer Points to secondary Gold Card

I want to transfer some MR points to my sister's Delta Skymiles account.
My Platinum Card allows me to add Gold Cards, that don't have any annual fees, to my account.
Can that secondary Gold card have her SM # associated with it so that I can do the transfer?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:18 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Can that secondary Gold card have her SM # associated with it so that I can do the transfer?
Assuming your card account is issued in the USA, if you order a Supplementary Gold card in your sister's name you will then be able to link her Skymiles account to your Membership Rewards account.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Great. Thank you.
It almost seemed too easy to work. ^
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Recent Aeroplan experience?

Any recent (and hopefully successful) experience with transferring the MR points of the original Amex cardholder into an authorized user/supplementary card's Aeroplan account?

Thanks for any help.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:03 am

Programs: AA-EXP 2.8 MM,UA-GS 1.3 MM,DL-PL,HH-DM,LH-SEN,Bonvoy-GL
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Any recent (and hopefully successful) experience with transferring the MR points of the original Amex cardholder into an authorized user/supplementary card's Aeroplan account?

Thanks for any help.
worked instantly for me last week
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:48 pm

Thanks for any help.
I also just did this successfully. I'm an authorized user on my wife's amex platinum, and we transferred the points to my aeroplan account.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold

Thanks for any help.
Originally Posted by lakid

worked instantly for me last week
Originally Posted by Traveler56789
I also just did this successfully. I'm an authorized user on my wife's amex platinum, and we transferred the points to my aeroplan account.
Thanks to you both! Good to know.
Old May 19, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Hm it seems Amex isn't giving option to link a multiple accounts/AU's to the same airline (attempting to link a 3rd AU for the same airline). Anyone else notice this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.