Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX (USA) kills ability to transfer MR to non-account holder's airline or hotel acct

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HookemHorns
Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to airline and hotel accounts in the name of the primary cardholder -or- the name of a supplementary cardholder on any card account linked to the same Membership Rewards account. You only need to request a supplementary card. It need not ever be given to the cardholder, nor used for any purchases. American Express will not issue cards for children under age 13.

Bear in mind that American Express (USA) generally limits customers to four credit cards, plus an unspecified number of charge cards. Most of the cards which can be used to add free supplementary cardholders are credit cards, choose one that you actually want to use,

These products allow you to add free Supplementary cardholders:

PERSONAL CARD ACCOUNTS
  • Premier Rewards Gold charge card. $175 fee for primary card, up to five free supplementary cards.
  • Mercedes-Benz credit card. $95 fee for primary card, free supplementary cards.
  • Everyday Preferred credit card. $95 fee for primary card, free supplementary cards.
  • Everyday credit card. No fee for primary or supplementary cards.
  • Blue from American Express credit card. No fee for primary or supplementary cards, but this card participates in Membership Rewards Express. Express points are not eligible for transfer unless you also hold a card participating in the full Membership Rewards program. Caution: Blue Cash, Blue Cash Everyday, Blue Cash Preferred, Blue Sky and Blue Sky Preferred do not participate in Membership Rewards, and supplementary cardholders are not eligible to receive transfers.

SMALL BUSINESS CARD ACCOUNTS
  • Business Gold Rewards charge card. $175 fee for the primary card, $50 for the first supplementary card, but additional supplementary cards are free.
  • Blue for Business credit card. No fee for primary card or supplementary cards, but this card participates in Membership Rewards Express. Express points are not eligible for transfer unless you also hold a card participating in the full Membership Rewards program. This is the best Membership Rewards card for general spending because it earns a 30% annual bonus on all spending.
Print Wikipost

AMEX (USA) kills ability to transfer MR to non-account holder's airline or hotel acct

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by Aviator88
My sister would like to transfer her AMEX MR points to my SQ FF account. We share the same last name. Can she do it without adding me as an authorized user? I've been told that they only match last names. Is that true?
I would advise that she add you as an AU. Else it might lead to points in limbo and major hassle. Good luck!

Last edited by gv111; Oct 27, 2015 at 1:40 pm
Old Sep 22, 2015, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by gv111
I would advise that she add you as an AU. Else it might lead to points in limbo and major hassle. Good luck!
I was told full name had to match but who knows if the Amex rep is correct. Either way, takes a few mins to add an authorized user and shouldn't cost you anything so why not do it to be safe?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:18 pm

What are your options to get your MR points out of limbo? I transferred over MR to Asia Miles, but there was a mix up with my first and last name. So the MR points never went through. They also never returned to my AMEX account.

I contacted Asia Miles and they corrected my name. However, the MR points are still labeled as "pending." The AMEX rep says that the only thing we can do is wait for it to get processed. It has be over two months.

Is there anything else I can do to help this process go faster? Either go into my Asia Miles account or return to my AMEX. Either one is better than having points stuck in "limbo."

Thanks.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 3:41 pm

To transfer to someone else's airline account, they have to be an authorized user on your Amex card, right?
Does the Amex Platinum business card have a $300 fee for adding an authorized user? That seemed to be the case, based on reading the terms.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 8:04 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Silverthunder
To transfer to someone else's airline account, they have to be an authorized user on your Amex card, right?
Correct.

It does cost $300 to add a supplementary Business Platinum card, but you can add a supplementary Business Green card to a Business Platinum account for free, and make the transfer.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:24 pm
vishnu88

Programs: Chase UR, AAdvantage, Dividend Miles, United MileagePlus
Thanks, she added me. She made the transfer and I booked her honeymoon tickets for her. Thanks for the help!
Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by Aviator88
Thanks, she added me. She made the transfer and I booked her honeymoon tickets for her. Thanks for the help!
Glad it worked out for you guys.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Can I transfer/convert my Amex MR to my wife's BA Avios?

I'm guessing the answer is no based on THIS THREAD, but just in case...

My wife's British Air Avios points are about to expire/close, and I'm wondering if I could link my Amex MR account to her Avios account and transfer/convert some points. We have the same address but not the same name.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by huge

My wife's British Air Avios points are about to expire/close, and I'm wondering if I could link my Amex MR account to her Avios account and transfer/convert some points. We have the same address but not the same name.
You can add her as an AU (if she is not already), add her BA number and transfer. No issue.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by huge

It really should not be that difficult (or costly) to extend the expiration of your wife's Avios by another three years without having to transfer any Amex MR in.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 2:55 pm
mia

You cannot transfer points from your Membership Rewards account to your wife's BAEC account unless she hold a supplementary card on your American Express account.

Do you have a BAEC Household Account?
Old Dec 5, 2015, 4:06 pm

I tried to transfer MR points to KF (same last name but not AU). its been two days and no points have shown up? Does this mean the transfer hasnt gone through?

Also will the points be automatticly refunded back to my MR account?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Transferring MR to friend's Aeroplan account

Is there any issue with doing that?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:57 pm
mia

To make the transfer you will need to add your friend as a supplementary cardholder on one of your card accounts which earns Membership Rewards points.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 6:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
3 Accounts transfering to the same FFP

Currently have 3 accounts managing for the family under 3 different FF #'s.

Wondering if it's possible to change to the same FF # so I can easily book tickets rather than doing 3 separate bookings?

I've seen people do it for 2 and some reported back negative, want to get an exact answer to be safe. Answers much appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.