Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX (USA) kills ability to transfer MR to non-account holder's airline or hotel acct

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HookemHorns
Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to airline and hotel accounts in the name of the primary cardholder -or- the name of a supplementary cardholder on any card account linked to the same Membership Rewards account. You only need to request a supplementary card. It need not ever be given to the cardholder, nor used for any purchases. American Express will not issue cards for children under age 13.

Bear in mind that American Express (USA) generally limits customers to four credit cards, plus an unspecified number of charge cards. Most of the cards which can be used to add free supplementary cardholders are credit cards, choose one that you actually want to use,

These products allow you to add free Supplementary cardholders:

PERSONAL CARD ACCOUNTS
  • Premier Rewards Gold charge card. $175 fee for primary card, up to five free supplementary cards.
  • Mercedes-Benz credit card. $95 fee for primary card, free supplementary cards.
  • Everyday Preferred credit card. $95 fee for primary card, free supplementary cards.
  • Everyday credit card. No fee for primary or supplementary cards.
  • Blue from American Express credit card. No fee for primary or supplementary cards, but this card participates in Membership Rewards Express. Express points are not eligible for transfer unless you also hold a card participating in the full Membership Rewards program. Caution: Blue Cash, Blue Cash Everyday, Blue Cash Preferred, Blue Sky and Blue Sky Preferred do not participate in Membership Rewards, and supplementary cardholders are not eligible to receive transfers.

SMALL BUSINESS CARD ACCOUNTS
  • Business Gold Rewards charge card. $175 fee for the primary card, $50 for the first supplementary card, but additional supplementary cards are free.
  • Blue for Business credit card. No fee for primary card or supplementary cards, but this card participates in Membership Rewards Express. Express points are not eligible for transfer unless you also hold a card participating in the full Membership Rewards program. This is the best Membership Rewards card for general spending because it earns a 30% annual bonus on all spending.
Print Wikipost

AMEX (USA) kills ability to transfer MR to non-account holder's airline or hotel acct

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2015, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by vinhboy
Yea that's what the amex CSR suggested I do as well. But the fees kind of kill the deal. Thanks for all your help mia. :-:
(
What fees are you talking about?
Pls elaborate? Do mean getting a 2nd card for a family member will incur a fee?
Old May 1, 2015, 6:47 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sciconf
Do mean getting a 2nd card for a family member will incur a fee?
It may. Look at the terms of your specific card.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:52 pm

Transfer amex point to a spouse's frequent flyer account.

Currently my husband has 77k Amex points in his gold Amex, and I have 165k amex points in my platinum amex. I found 4 seats with Delta to go from sfo-vce/ cdg-sfo for 60k/seat. Is there anyway I can transfer my husband's amex UR to my delta FF account to combine with my points?
Thanks for your input.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 7:07 am
mia

Originally Posted by newbees
...anyway I can transfer my husband's amex UR to my delta FF account to combine with my points?
Assuming your husband's American Express account is issued in the USA, the only way he can transfer points to your Skymiles account is if you hold a Supplementary Card on his account. If he has a Premier Rewards Gold account this is easy because up to five supplementary cards are free. Mention if it's not a card which offers free supplementary cards, and we will explain a more complicated way to get a free supplementary card.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by mia
Assuming your husband's American Express account is issued in the USA, the only way he can transfer points to your Skymiles account is if you hold a Supplementary Card on his account. If he has a Premier Rewards Gold account this is easy because up to five supplementary cards are free. Mention if it's not a card which offers free supplementary cards, and we will explain a more complicated way to get a free supplementary card.
Doesn't need to be complicated...pretty sure if you sign up and cancel within 30 days, the fee should be refunded or not charged at all. I've done it a few times.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:35 am
mia

Originally Posted by hytekjosh
...you sign up and cancel within 30 days, ...
I assume that married people intend to stay married, and might like to transfer to one another's frequent flyer accounts periodically. This can be done at no cost, and without the bother of opening/closing supplementary charge cards, but it does require applying for a free credit card which earns Membership Rewards (or Express), and then requesting free Supplementary card(s) on that account. The new account need never be used, it just needs to exist and be linked to the same Membership Rewards account.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:09 am

transfer MR to EC household member

Hello, I would do a search for this but I wouldn't know how to word this query.I'm a relative novice to the points game but I am trying. I signed up for the 40k Amex Platinum bonus and I wanted to transfer it to my husbands BA executive club account. He has added me as a EC household member but I was wondering if I also would need to add him as an authorized user on my AMEX as well to be able to transfer the points/miles. Thanks, Mayuko
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:28 am
mia

Assuming that your American Express card is issued in the USA you can transfer to your husband's frequent flyer accounts only if he holds a Supplementary Card on your account.

In the specific case of British Airways there is no reason to do this. You can transfer the points to your own BAEC account and they will be available for you or your husband to redeem because you have created a Household Account.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does adding a supplementary card only enable one way transfer or both?

If i add a family member, will he be able to transfer his MR to my FF account or it's only my MR to his account?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:35 pm
mia

Originally Posted by azepine00
If i add a family member, will he be able to transfer his MR to my FF account
You will be able to transfer to airline/hotel accounts, but it is not reciprocal. He would have to add you as a Supplementary cardholder on one of his Membership Rewards cards to be able to transfer your your airline/hotel accounts.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:08 am

If the MR account was successfully linked to a frequent flyer account (of a different person) can I assume the transfer won't be denied?

I am just transferring my MR points to my spouse's ANA account, but the last name on the ANA account and the Amex supplement card doesn't match.(maiden name and married name)
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:13 am
mia

Originally Posted by heta
If the MR account was successfully linked to a frequent flyer account (of a different person) can I assume the transfer won't be denied?
I recall there is a problem with Emirates rejecting some transfers even though the accounts linked, but I do not remember any similar issue with other partners.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by mia
I recall there is a problem with Emirates rejecting some transfers even though the accounts linked, but I do not remember any similar issue with other partners.
Thanks for the reply, I hope it won't be denied but I will report back if it does by ANA.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 6:10 am

result

Originally Posted by mia
ANA rejected my transfer and the points were returned after few days even though I was able to register the ANA account on Amex website. The reason is last name not matching.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:05 pm
vishnu88

Programs: Chase UR, AAdvantage, Dividend Miles, United MileagePlus
My sister would like to transfer her AMEX MR points to my SQ FF account. We share the same last name. Can she do it without adding me as an authorized user? I've been told that they only match last names. Is that true?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.