Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Put a fork in it 5.1.2014: One bonus per personal card per person "lifetime" [USA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
It is essential to read the terms of the specific offer, but in general:

This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
  • You can only earn one new account bonus for each personal card issued by American Express in the USA. We do not know precisely how far back American Express looks to see if you have previously held the same card, but there is anecdotal evidence that the Customer Service database looks back only seven years. This means that if you cancelled a card in 2007 or earlier, and have not held it since, you will probably qualify for a new account bonus in 2015.
  • Holding a related card does not disqualify earning a new account bonus. Examples: Green, Gold, and Platinum are each separate products. Delta Gold, Platinum and Reserve are each separate products. The Hilton credit card is a different product than Hilton Surpass.
  • Holding a Supplementary Card (authorized user) on someone else's account does not disqualify you from earning a new acount bonus if you open the same card type in your own name.
  • This rule does not apply to business cards. As of mid-February 2016, Amex appears to be adding the same restriction to its business card products.
  • If you receive a targeted offer, online or through the USPS, for a card which you have previously held you may, or may not, actually receive the bonus. Be certain to save a copy of the offer, and to read and save every screen which appears during the application process.
  • Upgrade offers are different from new account offers. You may be offered a bonus to upgrade (for example) a Gold Card to a Platinum Card, and you may be eligible for that bonus even if you previously held a Platinum card. It is still essential to read and save the terms of the offer.

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer.
  • This language appeared in the Spring of 2013, a year before the once-in-a lifetime policy was announced. The key term is "may", which gives American Express discretion to award or withhold the bonus.
  • To reduce the risk that the automated system will deny a new account bonus, RIGHT click the application link and open the application in a Private or Incognito browser window. American Express will still know that you are a current cardholder, but the system will not flag your application.

Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account within 6 - 8 weeks after the spend requirement has been reached.
  • In practice it is not possible to know when American Express's system will credit a bonus to your rewards account. It may happen immediately after you meet the target spend, or it may happen when the next statement (or the following statement) is generated, or it may take the full eight weeks.
Print Wikipost

Put a fork in it 5.1.2014: One bonus per personal card per person "lifetime" [USA]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by azepine00
Last year a family member got 10k but was denied 15 after meeing spend - amex claimed 1 yr rule.
Wish you hadn't told me that.

That was the strategy I was planning to use for my second SPG that was just approved yesterday.

Still, I guess the $55 MS fees for doing $5k in spend is well worth the points. Getting even 10K will put me over the 20K I need to get the 5K bonus on an airline miles transfer. So yes, 15K miles for $55 is better than a sharp stick in the eye.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
I had a similar question. Given all the recent changes to AmEx's sign-up bonus policies, what is the best application order/strategy for someone who's never had an MR card? Would this the below still work?

1. Personal Platinum for 100K bonus.
2. Apply for the Blue for 10K MR bonus.
3. Before annual fee is due, cancel Personal Platinum or anytime before (Blue will keep from losing MR Points).
4. Apply for MB Platinum for another 50K MR bonus.
5. 90 days from cancellation date of *original* Personal Platinum, app for PRG for another bonus.
6. Apply for Business Platinum at any point.

Last edited by bribro; Apr 26, 2014 at 2:41 pm
Old Apr 26, 2014, 1:57 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bribro
6. Apply for MB Business Platinum at any point.
I think it is too soon to know which strategies will work. For example, we don't know how the new terms will deal with cards which participate in the same rewards program (e.g. Membership Rewards vs Skymiles vs HHonors vs Starpoints). We don't know if 90/365 day thresholds will still have any significance.

However:

2. Everyday (Free) is now a better choice than Blue
6. There is no business version of the Mercedes card.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by mia
I think it is too soon to know which strategies will work. For example, we don't know how the new terms will deal with cards which participate in the same rewards program (e.g. Membership Rewards vs Skymiles vs HHonors vs Starpoints). We don't know if 90/365 day thresholds will still have any significance.

However:

2. Everyday (Free) is now a better choice than Blue
6. There is no business version of the Mercedes card.
Oops, meant to say Business Platinum. Edited.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by bribro
I had a similar question. Given all the recent changes to AmEx's sign-up bonus policies, what is the best application order/strategy for someone who's never had an MR card? Would this the below still work?

1. Personal Platinum for 100K bonus.
3. Before annual fee is due, cancel Personal Platinum or anytime before (Blue will keep from losing MR Points).
4. Apply for MB Platinum for another 50K MR bonus.
5. 90 days from cancellation date of *original* Personal Platinum, app for PRG for another bonus.
6. Apply for Business Platinum at any point.
No one knows how this is going to play out and we have 0 data points. Im sure we will start seeing people trying various things after May 1st, but it will be months/years until we know how this will actually work out.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 8:53 am

A datapoint with the SPG Personal card (as there are still a couple of days left to apply):

. I previously had an SPG personal card which I closed about 15 months ago.

. I applied two weeks ago using chrome incognito via the link on the SPG website. The offer was for 10,000 points after first purchase, and an additional 15,000 points after $5,000 in spend within 3 months.

. The T&C of the offer had the "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product." line

After getting the card and doing the initial purchase, I got the 10,000 points.

In addition, I completed the minimum spend a few days ago and can confirm that I got the additional 15,000 points.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ukinny2000
A datapoint with the SPG Personal card (as there are still a couple of days left to apply):

. I applied two weeks ago using chrome incognito via the link on the SPG website. The offer was for 10,000 points after first purchase, and an additional 15,000 points after $5,000 in spend within 3 months.

. The T&C of the offer had the "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product." line

In addition, I completed the minimum spend a few days ago and can confirm that I got the additional 15,000 points.
Thank you so much for posting that. So there is hope that my wife and I will get the full bonus on our recent apps.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
Another data point. I had a personal Plat that I cancelled last Sept. I applied for an MB Plat last week - was approved, hit the min spend on the first day, and had 50k bonus points post today. Tick Tock people.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA, AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by Nicksta
Another data point. I had a personal Plat that I cancelled last Sept. I applied for an MB Plat last week - was approved, hit the min spend on the first day, and had 50k bonus points post today. Tick Tock people.
Did the offer terms include the "welcome bonus not eligible for past cardholders" language? I cancelled regular plat in Feb 2014 - wondering if I should chance it and get the MB plat.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire

Well, this data point only confirms that the new policy is not in effect yet, which is, well, not really interesting.

I'm wondering if anyone received the bonus for another SPG after canceling SPG less than 12 months.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 5:49 pm

Thank you for posting this. . This also gives me the confidence that I will get the full 25k on my most recent app.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 6:14 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Sorry if this is asked before but is the Amex Plat MB considered a different product than the regular AMEX Plat? Ie I was a regular AMEX plat card holder but if I apply of the MB product will I be eligible for the bonus?

FDW
Old Apr 27, 2014, 6:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
,,,, I was a regular AMEX plat card holder but if I apply of the MB product will I be eligible for the bonus?
The terms say no:

Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had a Platinum Card® account enrolled in the Membership Rewards® program

https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...card/012/16581
Old Apr 27, 2014, 8:25 pm

So no data points for re-applying for a card you closed <12 months ago and still getting the bonus?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by packattack12
Did the offer terms include the "welcome bonus not eligible for past cardholders" language? I cancelled regular plat in Feb 2014 - wondering if I should chance it and get the MB plat.
Yes, that language was included.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.