Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Put a fork in it 5.1.2014: One bonus per personal card per person "lifetime" [USA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
It is essential to read the terms of the specific offer, but in general:

This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
  • You can only earn one new account bonus for each personal card issued by American Express in the USA. We do not know precisely how far back American Express looks to see if you have previously held the same card, but there is anecdotal evidence that the Customer Service database looks back only seven years. This means that if you cancelled a card in 2007 or earlier, and have not held it since, you will probably qualify for a new account bonus in 2015.
  • Holding a related card does not disqualify earning a new account bonus. Examples: Green, Gold, and Platinum are each separate products. Delta Gold, Platinum and Reserve are each separate products. The Hilton credit card is a different product than Hilton Surpass.
  • Holding a Supplementary Card (authorized user) on someone else's account does not disqualify you from earning a new acount bonus if you open the same card type in your own name.
  • This rule does not apply to business cards. As of mid-February 2016, Amex appears to be adding the same restriction to its business card products.
  • If you receive a targeted offer, online or through the USPS, for a card which you have previously held you may, or may not, actually receive the bonus. Be certain to save a copy of the offer, and to read and save every screen which appears during the application process.
  • Upgrade offers are different from new account offers. You may be offered a bonus to upgrade (for example) a Gold Card to a Platinum Card, and you may be eligible for that bonus even if you previously held a Platinum card. It is still essential to read and save the terms of the offer.

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer.
  • This language appeared in the Spring of 2013, a year before the once-in-a lifetime policy was announced. The key term is "may", which gives American Express discretion to award or withhold the bonus.
  • To reduce the risk that the automated system will deny a new account bonus, RIGHT click the application link and open the application in a Private or Incognito browser window. American Express will still know that you are a current cardholder, but the system will not flag your application.

Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account within 6 - 8 weeks after the spend requirement has been reached.
  • In practice it is not possible to know when American Express's system will credit a bonus to your rewards account. It may happen immediately after you meet the target spend, or it may happen when the next statement (or the following statement) is generated, or it may take the full eight weeks.
Print Wikipost

Put a fork in it 5.1.2014: One bonus per personal card per person "lifetime" [USA]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by unkn0wns0ldier
QQ: I'm a newbie so I was wondering if I should signup for both the business and personal SPG Card before this May 1st deadline. My original plan was to see if they offer the 30K bonus this summer to apply for the personal and business to get 60K SPG points then after one year cancel the business one so my credit score doesn't take a hit. Any suggestions? I greatly appreciate it.
only matters if you think a better offer will come along and when you need points by b/c if true then you will never get either again
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by skibum7732
only matters if you think a better offer will come along and when you need points by b/c if true then you will never get either again
My question was more along the lines of is the personal and business card treated as the same card? I would reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally like to get both to essentially get 60K + 15Kxfer bonus @ 20K each = 75K points. I need these points to redeem in 2015.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Sad that I applied for a DL card for my wife thinking we can do it again if a better offer came along.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... is the personal and business card treated as the same card? .
No, you can apply for both.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by mia
No, you can apply for both.
So this May 1st deadline shouldn't affect me, right?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:17 pm

I just clicked on a link to the Starwood Preferred card and got this message:

You have been identified as a current American Express Card Member. You may have seen an offer advertised for this product previously, but the offer is not available to current American Express Card Members.

I have only had ONE Amex card in my entire life, and it's not a Starwood. But this makes it sound like having ANY Amex keeps you from getting a bonus on any other Amex.

????
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:36 pm
mia

Originally Posted by trixiezzz
...this makes it sound like having ANY Amex keeps you from getting a bonus on any other Amex.
Please read this short thread to understand how you can make the message go away:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...igibility.html

In the specific case of the SPG card I suggest that you apply through a referral offer. The wording of these offers are more liberal than the terms of offers you might find on your own.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Please read this short thread to understand how you can make the message go away:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...igibility.html

In the specific case of the SPG card I suggest that you apply through a referral offer. The wording of these offers are more liberal than the terms of offers you might find on your own.
Where would one get a referral offer from?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 3:47 pm
mia

Where would one get a referral offer from?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ost-first.html
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:01 pm

caution on referral links...

Just a head's up on the referral links for SPG. As I posted earlier, they have the liberal language in the e-mail, but when you click through to the T&Cs, they have the restrictive language there.

It's still probably the best chance to get one (assuming you've had that card before or even have another Amex card), but it's not a done deal at this point to go that route. Amex used to be good about contacting them and mailing in terms (i.e. the e-mail), but sounds like they've basically got robots working now and don't want to deal with any "proof" that you may have.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:25 pm

Put a fork in it 5.1.2014: One bonus per card per person "lifetime" [USA]

With the (possible) ending of any bonus if current MR customer, I seriously hope Amex decides to reinstate the MR Shopping Portal. Especially since Platinum card only has 1X on all purchases.

That, or run promos for extra points for spend in specific categories like they used to do on my Delta Platinum card.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:19 pm

Please clarify.

I opened an American Express card in January 2014. I have had AMEX cards in the past, the last one was closed in December 2012.

I thought I was going to get 30,000 Delta Miles after $1,000 spend in 3 months and a $50 statement credit if I bought a Delta Airlines tix.

I have done both of these activities and am waiting for the miles to post and the statement credit to show up. It says in the small print that the miles will post 2-4 weeks after the spending quota is meet and the statement credit will appear 8-12 weeks after the Delta tix transaction.

Am I going to get the miles and the statement credit?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:22 pm
mia

Originally Posted by bakoboy
Am I going to get the miles and the statement credit?
What do the terms of the offer say? Were any of your previous American Express accounts SkyMiles credit cards?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:50 pm

I thought the terms of the offer were 30,000 miles after $1,000 spend in 3 months and a $50 statement credit if I bought Delta tickets.

I think I have had 3 or 4 Delta Skymiles AMEX dating back from 2008. I never pay the AF, as I cancel before the fee hits the account.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:59 pm
mia

Originally Posted by bakoboy
I thought the terms of the offer were ....
I meant the part of the terms in which they stipulated eligibility. If you didn't save a copy of the offer it will be difficult to say what might happen because the terms are in transition. Under a literal reading of the most recent terms you could be ineligible, but only if American Express considers the current SkyMiles credit card for which you applied to be the same product as one which you held previously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.