Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Earlier discussion is in this thread: Financial Review Discussion [2009-2013]

In the USA a Financial Review typically includes a request to submit an IRS form 4506-T which authorizes American Express to obtain a transcript of your Federal Income Tax Return for a specific year. It does not authorize a copy of the actual return. Download the form here: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf

Order your own transcript here: https://sa2.www4.irs.gov/irfof-tra/start.do

Other USA-based rewards card issuers also audit accounts and end unsatisfactory relationships.

Bank of America: 2013

Citibank: 2013

JP Morgan Chase: 2013.1 2013.4 2013.9 2013.12
Print Wikipost

Financial Review discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2015, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by taxmantoo
Has anybody been FR'd for MSing, admitted to buying gift cards, and had their gift card purchases reclassified as cash advances with cash advance fees and/or interest charged?
I've never heard of this happening with any issuer. I'm not saying it's never happened, just that I've never heard of it. Gift cards are not cash.

IMO, your best bet is to admit you bought gift cards for the points. The FR rep will already know those were gift cards, and there's not many good non-MS explanations for a large amount of $500 VGC purchases on a personal card. By my calculations, that approach has the highest likelihood (not guaranteed) of a good outcome. I'd think as long as your tax transcripts are consistent with your stated income, you'll be fine.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Odd FR, quickly resolved

I've had Amex cards since 1986, and got the DL Amex Plat in 2012. Since then, about $50K-$60K/year has gone on that card, none of it MS, and really a combination of expenses: some travel (DL tickets, hotel nights, rental cars), dining, general purchases, etc.

This year I'm on track of spending only about $30K on it, most of which happened by early September, with very little spend on it since.

I also have the regular Amex Plat, it doesn't see a lot of use, maybe $10K/year. The usage pattern hasn't changed on that card.

Two weeks ago I was asked by Amex to provide the 4506-T form that everyone reading this thread is so familiar with, which I did right away.

Yesterday, I was notified that all was well, and the matter was closed.

No spending limitations had been placed on the cards at all.

So, overall, pretty much a non-event. I thought I'd report it, just to show that sometimes the FR process is fairly painless.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 1:34 pm

So your FR was seemingly random after 30 years of unexciting usage, and therefore they didn't lock down your cards during FR?

Did your 4506-T authorize equifax to pull your 1040 transcript?
I feel it's one thing to let Amex see my tax return, and an entirely different thing to let equifax pull it from IRS and read it to Amex. Info like that doesn't belong in 3rd party hands, especially when that 3rd party is in the business of selling personal financial data.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So your FR was seemingly random after 30 years of unexciting usage, and therefore they didn't lock down your cards during FR?

I feel it's one thing to let Amex see my tax return, and an entirely different thing to let equifax pull it from IRS and read it to Amex. Info like that doesn't belong in 3rd party hands, especially when that 3rd party is in the business of selling personal financial data.
I don't see where he mentioned Equifax at all.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 4:36 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K

The 4506-t is an IRS form, line 5 lists where it's going to. So whenever one is filling it out, that's where to look, or put, who it is being sent to.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Yes, it seemed to be totally random. I didn't bother to ask why, since they probably wouldn't have told me anyway.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by United747
The 4506-t is an IRS form, line 5 lists where it's going to. So whenever one is filling it out, that's where to look, or put, who it is being sent to.
And mine would have gone to equifax verification services.
Not just no, but Hell No!

BTW, they have not tried to charge me any interest or cash advance fees. They haven't taken away my previously earned MR points either.
They did not award me any MR points for the purchases on my statement that was issued during the FR process.

Last edited by taxmantoo; Nov 25, 2015 at 11:18 am
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:38 pm

And mine would have gone to equifax verification services.
Not just no, but Hell No!

BTW, they have not tried to charge me any interest or cash advance fees. They haven't taken away my previously earned MR points either.
They did not award me any MR points for the purchases on my statement that was issued during the FR process.
Good to know man. How much was your monthly MS spend ? and how long you have been doing that ?

i thought of spending around 2500$ per month in MS which is less than my monthly income.

Will it be a problem ?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:22 am

Got the charging suspended alert on all my accounts on Saturday after my first transaction on the Business Gold card of... two dollars posted.

When I called the number the lady was very nice, she said "I see that you recently opened three new accounts (Green, Gold, Business Gold), blah blah blah...(the rest is the usual mentioning of the tax form request).

Not too worried about it, though since I've done minimum MS with my Amex cards, (less than 1k a month), I guess they get nervous when I have too many cards with no charging limits?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by snackboxes
Got the charging suspended alert on all my accounts on Saturday after my first transaction on the Business Gold card of... two dollars posted.

When I called the number the lady was very nice, she said "I see that you recently opened three new accounts (Green, Gold, Business Gold), blah blah blah...(the rest is the usual mentioning of the tax form request).

Not too worried about it, though since I've done minimum MS with my Amex cards, (less than 1k a month), I guess they get nervous when I have too many cards with no charging limits?
Yeah, Amex is pretty nervous about multiple approved cards within a short time fame. Really irks me honestly because of the time and resources it takes both sides to complete a FR. I'd rather be denied the card during the app process.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 4:22 am

Programs: Global Entry/TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by whoknew89
Yeah, Amex is pretty nervous about multiple approved cards within a short time fame.
I'm guessing there is no hard and fast rule that would automatically trigger a FR. But does anybody have a general idea about what would be considered too many cards and within how short of a time frame? Any rule of thumb would be appreciated.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Finagler
I'm guessing there is no hard and fast rule that would automatically trigger a FR. But does anybody have a general idea about what would be considered too many cards and within how short of a time frame? Any rule of thumb would be appreciated.
Two for me triggered a FR after daily purchases made on one of the new charge cards.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:55 am

The thing that annoys me is that AmEx is constantly sending out offers for new cards, and then they stick you with an FR. They really should disclose that if we give you this card, we will also give you an FR. I've started ignoring the AmEx offers for this reason. Now I'm down to one AmEx card.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by snackboxes

Did they ask for 2014 tax returns, or 2015?

Obviously it's a little early for 2015, but I ask because my income was significantly higher in 2014 than 15, so I am wondering whether I should go on an Amex app blitz to get the FR over with now, while they will still see my higher income.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:32 pm

I know this is a dumb question but would it be stupid to ask an amex CSR via online chat to expedite my bonus points after meeting minimum spend. I hit minimum spend via serve CC loads and have not put any other spend or transactions on the card. The balance on the card has been paid off for a month now. I just don't want to trigger a financial review or get my pending points taken away for MSing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.