Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM

Happened to me. Definitely bought a lot of VR with this card. Now all Citi credit cards 'closed'.

No reason given. CSRs confused. Say the department that did so will call back before Wednesday next week. Can still cash out the points, so, I'm doing so now.

Others have shared similar reports with me... so there is some sort of Citi purge going on. Very common use pattern was enjoying the uncapped 5X points for drug store purchases. Citi themselves of course not admitting anything and calling it 'risky account'.

Prepare... You've been warned...

Last edited by thehawk75; May 29, 2013 at 9:56 am Reason: Did not want my original 'stand alone post title' to be name of thread.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Happened to me. Definitely bought a lot of VR with this card. Now all Citi credit cards 'closed'.

No reason given. CSRs confused. Say the department that did so will call back before Wednesday next week. Can still cash out the points, so, I'm doing so now.

Others have shared similar reports with me... so there is some sort of Citi purge going on. Very common use pattern was enjoying the uncapped 5X points for drug store purchases. Citi themselves of course not admitting anything and calling it 'risky account'.

Citi is kinda silly IMHO. They invite people and now calling them abuser It is not the first time they are doing this. I can remember at least 4 types of cards that Citi issued that gives 5X. Maybe they should start shutting people's forward cards.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium

Thanks for the warning -- gonna take it easy on the VRs from now on.

Did you have other types of purchases as well? Grocery/gas? Or 1X?
Old Mar 30, 2013, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
Did you have other types of purchases as well? Grocery/gas? Or 1X?
These purchases will not make a difference.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 6:36 pm

Would you be kind enough to share what "a lot" is?
Old Mar 30, 2013, 7:20 pm

Programs: aa

Hey didnt you charge up 83k worth of spend at 5x? You should know that was way to much you cant abuse it like that .If you got 400k worth of thank you points in a month that cost citi about 3 to 4 grand in the month in 12 months the way you were going you would rack up millions of points so you defintely went to hard.Im shut down at chase so i know how much it sucks but i think if you got a 5k credit line with citi dont charge more than that in a month.5k times 5 still equals 25k typ a month.Slow and steady
Old Mar 30, 2013, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
At any rate, I am cashing out at 1/1.33 CPP as we speak (and likely while I can), and will be done before Monday -- for sure.

- Nope, I didn't spend anything on a 1% category. Why the f**k would I when I had another card that covered a higher percent reward? At the volume I did through CVS I highly doubt it would have made a difference anyway.

I hope someone gets them to admit that these closures going on is due to the reward program, I doubt they'll admit it though.

Last edited by thehawk75; May 19, 2013 at 1:06 pm Reason: tired of adressing questions and comments from this post
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:08 pm

--snip--
The bigger question is whether Citi just closed your cards, or also blacklisted you. If the former, then yes, you probably came out ahead. If the latter, then probably not in the long term.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:12 pm

Why does it matter if they admit that the account was closed because of perk abuse? They are clearly losing money doing business with us. You essentially paid about $500 dollars for $5k worth of travel. Someone has to pay for that difference. I'm sure when their marketing department was coming up with these sign-up bonuses, they were not factoring in people like us and the massive amount of points we could potentially earn.

Anyway, thank you for posting the info. My account is active and I will probably slow down with the spending. I have not come close to the level of spend that you did, but I don't have the credit limit to allow that kind of spending anyway.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by gloreglabert
The bigger question is whether Citi just closed your cards, or also blacklisted you. If the former, then yes, you probably came out ahead. If the latter, then probably not in the long term.
CSR refused to talk to him (probably due to instructions from the security dept.) means he is also blacklisted.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:23 pm

By the way, I think it's interesting that through this whole fiasco, the link to the offer stays active. Chase would've shut it down months ago...
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by gloreglabert
By the way, I think it's interesting that through this whole fiasco, the link to the offer stays active. Chase would've shut it down months ago...
From what I heard, it took two years for citi to make a move on CR (start to crack down) and took 6 months for Chase on AARP. So Chase is definitely more efficient.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum

I'm scared. How many is too many?
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Daniel on the way
I'm scared. How many is too many?
Did you read the last page of the thread?
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by dogbyte
I'm sure when their marketing department was coming up with these sign-up bonuses, they were not factoring in people like us and the massive amount of points we could potentially earn.
Reading this thread and just adding a comment. I am SO surprised to why there is no cap with Citi cards! Especially at 5x. I've been with so many different companies which all have caps. Obviously Citi's fault for not entering one simple cap into their computer system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.