Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge LGA [Opened, 12 August 2014; New location open 21 June 2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2022, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge LGA [Opened, 12 August 2014; New location open 21 June 2021]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2022, 4:54 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Anyone got an up to date status on the hours here?

Amex app says open til 9pm, Google Maps says 6pm.

I've learned to trust neither.
Any reason why Amex’s site is not to be trusted?
Old Apr 17, 2022, 7:23 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by seawolf
Any reason why Amex’s site is not to be trusted?
They had the same times before Christmas but when I arrived at 6.30pm on a Sunday, they were closed.

Similarly in January, the PHL Centurion had a posted closing time of 7pm but shut at 5pm the day I was in there.

Tbh it's very disrespectful to members not to take a few minutes to update the hours in the app.
seawolf likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Stopped by today (Tues 4/19) from 4:45 to about 6:15. Pretty busy, but there were plenty of seats in the main dining room and a few in the bar area. I didn't explore the other areas. Dinner was very good: chicken something - pretty flavorful, yellow rice, and shrimp in a pretty spicy red sauce. The shrimp in particular was very good, I went back for seconds and got some extra sauce to pour over the rice. They didn't have any of the better dessert options while I was there, just two types of cookies, chocolate chip and chocolate chip imposters (atmeal raisin). Steady flow of customers at the bar that the two bartenders managed really well. Left at 6:15 to go over to the United Club which was completely deserted by comparison to check it out for a few mins before my flight since I hadn't been there at dinner before.

Old May 1, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
I really like the new one. It's very spacious!! The high ceiling does make a huge difference.

The video was done and upload by myself to youtube.

Last edited by pigx5; May 2, 2022 at 11:40 am
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stopped in today (Sunday) from 1300 to 1345. The lounge was about 75-80% full and stayed that way my entire stay.

Hot food was a chicken dish along with a few vegetable sides. The bar had a line the entire time. I was happy to see they have a local New York Wheat Beer (Ommengang Brewing in Cooperstown) on tap now but the bartender insisted if you wanted two drinks you had to show an ID of another person over 21. That seemed really silly.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:39 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by CMK10
bartender insisted if you wanted two drinks you had to show an ID of another person over 21. That seemed really silly.
Unfortunately people sue for just about anything instead of taking personal responsibility; the line has to be drawn somewhere.

Example: One has too many drinks in CL, gets on a flight and become disruptive. Airline diverts flight and bill that passenger. Passenger sues AMEX for serving one too many.
Cat88L3 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:02 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by seawolf
Unfortunately people sue for just about anything instead of taking personal responsibility; the line has to be drawn somewhere.

Example: One has too many drinks in CL, gets on a flight and become disruptive. Airline diverts flight and bill that passenger. Passenger sues AMEX for serving one too many.
Showing an ID of a second person doesn't really stop this scenario, especially because the second person isn't seen by an Amex employee so they could be really drunk and Amex could be violating its obligation not to over-serve.

But, this ID rule seems to be the standard at the Centurion lounges -- I've also seen it enforced at JFK and SFO.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

...but the bartender insisted if you wanted two drinks you had to show an ID of another person over 21. That seemed really silly.
They've really stepped up doing that all over, though I've noticed it particularly at IAH since it's my home lounge and I typically sit at the bar. I asked one of the bartenders about the reason behind it and he said they're trying to be more cognizant since they've apparently received complaints of pax showing up to the plane wasted. Same thing happened to the KLM lounge at IAH a couple years ago, which following a complaint to and visit from the TABC causing them to add a staff member to the previously self serve bar, according to a manager I asked about it at the time.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:12 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by bgriff
Showing an ID of a second person doesn't really stop this scenario, especially because the second person isn't seen by an Amex employee so they could be really drunk and Amex could be violating its obligation not to over-serve.

But, this ID rule seems to be the standard at the Centurion lounges -- I've also seen it enforced at JFK and SFO.
The water is muddled because AMEX lawyer can now argue that the other person also has responsibility.

What AMEX really should be doing is not just see another ID but only hand the drink exclusively to that other person.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
I was in there yesterday and that barman was unnecessarily sharp in his tone and conduct towards guests - I ended up moving away from the bar because his conduct started to bother me.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:04 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
They've really stepped up doing that all over
Yes, at the old LGA location they would usually just ask the person getting the drinks to point out who the second drink was for. Have noticed ever since the new location opened, they've been asking for the IDs.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
FWIW the CLT CL doesn't care about the second ID requirement. And I am a lawyer and I don't know what's more laughable, the idea of suing a CL because of serving too many drinks or their "well the guy proffered an ID what more could I do?" defense.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:19 pm

Stopped in today (Sunday) from 1300 to 1345. The lounge was about 75-80% full and stayed that way my entire stay.

Hot food was a chicken dish along with a few vegetable sides. The bar had a line the entire time. I was happy to see they have a local New York Wheat Beer (Ommengang Brewing in Cooperstown) on tap now but the bartender insisted if you wanted two drinks you had to show an ID of another person over 21. That seemed really silly.
based on these pics the lounge seems noisy and crowded. Never been to a CL yet but I have to assume when I go it will be the same. I guess the only real reason to go at this point is for the free food and finding a decent seat? Doesn’t seem like a relaxing environment honestly
Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:43 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by michael1023
Doesn’t seem like a relaxing environment honestly
I’m not sure if CLs have ever been relaxing environments- maybe when they first opened, when centurion card holders were the only ones that got in for free. The overcrowding has been an issue for years now.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

And I am a lawyer
And I assume you're not a cat either

Originally Posted by michael1023
I guess the only real reason to go at this point is for the free food and finding a decent seat?
I mean free food and drink, why else would we be there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.