Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Canada: Travel insurance questions [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Medical: has nothing to do with the air ticket. Your friend is not covered by your card anyway.

Baggage Delay: for example

"Insured Person - means a cardmember, a cardmember’s spouse, and a
cardmember’s dependent children, whether travelling together or not."

Your "friend" is not an "Insured Person".
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: AMEX, AEROPLAN
Amex Canada: Gold/Platinum Travel Insurance Claim Experiences?

hi, I know I could just call Amex to get the answer, but I would rather to ask here for your experience in claiming the travel insurance (delayed and cancellation etc) with your Amex (Gold or Platinum). I have both Gold and Platinum from Canada. Really appreciate your input.

1. Do I get covered for flight delayed/cancelation if I use the Amex to pay for only taxes and fuel charges for the reward flights?

2. If I use my card to pay for my relatives for their travel while I am not accompany them, could they be covered?

Thanks

Last edited by onlycat; Jul 15, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:13 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
In which country is your American Express card issued? What is the exact card that you have?

These types of benefits vary substantially by country, and by specific card.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by mia
In which country is your American Express card issued? What is the exact card that you have?

These types of benefits vary substantially by country, and by specific card.
Thanks for reminding me. I have updated my post.

I have both Gold and Platinum in Canada. But most of time will use Plat since it comes with more benefits although less rewards.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:10 pm

If I recall report/opinions of many on various threads

1. No
only few cover FFP reward flights since they're affiliated, like CIBC/TD Aeroplan CC, RBC Avion

2. No, I'd think it's only yourself (and maybe spouse/dependents)
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:42 pm

1. If you redeemed Membership Rewards points with the "pay with points" option, then yes, you are covered. If you redeemed MR points by transferring them to Aeroplan or Avios, etc, then no you are not covered.

2. No. Primary cardholder has to be a traveller.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
If I recall report/opinions of many on various threads

1. No
only few cover FFP reward flights since they're affiliated, like CIBC/TD Aeroplan CC, RBC Avion

2. No, I'd think it's only yourself (and maybe spouse/dependents)
so TD aeroplan should cover if I redeem the rewards flight with Aeroplan and pay with TD aeroplan visa for the taxes and fuels?

i should have asked earlier before i redeemed my tickets.

Thanks again..
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Vasco
1. If you redeemed Membership Rewards points with the "pay with points" option, then yes, you are covered. If you redeemed MR points by transferring them to Aeroplan or Avios, etc, then no you are not covered.

thanks..
Old Jul 15, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by Vasco

PLATINUM:
FLIGHT AND BAGGAGE DELAY AND HOTEL/MOTEL BURGLARY INSURANCE
LOST OR STOLEN BAGGAGE INSURANCE

Insured Person - means a cardmember, a cardmember’s spouse, and a
cardmember’s dependent children, whether travelling together or not.

======

OP, please, call the claims department or READ THE INSURANCE DOCUMENT included in the membership package, or download from AMEX website.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by onlycat
so TD aeroplan should cover if I redeem the rewards flight with Aeroplan and pay with TD aeroplan visa for the taxes and fuels?

i should have asked earlier before i redeemed my tickets.

Thanks again..
You can find out for us Some aren't clearly indicated
http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/product...inite-card.jsp

Travel Medical Insurance11

You're covered without even having to charge the trip to your Card! As the Primary Cardholder, whenever you leave your province of residence, you, your spouse and dependent children are automatically insured upfront payments of eligible medical emergency expenses for $1 million for the first 15 days, without having to pay for the coverage. If you or your spouse is aged 65 or older, you are covered for the first 4 days of your trip.

Trip Cancellation / Trip Interruption Insurance12

Simply use your Card and/or Aeroplan Miles to cover the full cost of your trip and you’ll automatically be covered for up to $1,000 per insured person to a maximum of $5,000 for all insured persons if you need to cancel your travel plans before you leave, for one of the covered causes and up to $5,000 per insured person, to a maximum of $25,000 for all insured persons, if your trip is interrupted by medical and/or non-medical covered causes for a covered person or family member.

Delayed and Lost Baggage Insurance13

If your baggage is delayed more than 6 hours, each covered person is covered for emergency purchases of essentials such as clothes and sundry items. Each covered person is also covered should baggage be lost by a Common Carrier. The total benefits payable in respect of both delayed and lost baggage are subject to a maximum of $1000 per covered person per trip.

Flight/Trip Delay Insurance14

Take the stress out of travel delays by purchasing scheduled flights with your Card. If your trip is delayed more than four hours, you are covered for up to $500 CDN for reasonable and eligible hotel, motel or restaurant expenses.

Common Carrier Travel Accident Insurance14

Charge your fare to your Card and you, as the Primary Cardholder, your spouse and dependent children are insured for up to $500,000 while travelling on a common carrier (for example, a bus, ferry, plane, train or auto rental).
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:48 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Although some people seem to have had some luck, I figured I'd add on another data point.

Travelling on an Aeroplan reward, paid taxes with AMEX, and bags didn't arrive. Called the AMEX underwriter, and after they re-checked they told me that only if I had transferred my AE points to AMEX MR's and paid for the full flight cost with them, would I have been covered.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL
Reward Travel Benefits

Hello FTers, I can't find any recent reference on this but just wanted to confirm with you guys (a yes/no would suffice) if my cards' coverage are valid for reward travel. I have the Canadian versions of:

Platinum
Gold Rewards

Please let me know. Thanks!
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: Amex Plat CAN
Originally Posted by JCFans
Hello FTers, I can't find any recent reference on this but just wanted to confirm with you guys (a yes/no would suffice) if my cards' coverage are valid for reward travel. I have the Canadian versions of:

Platinum
Gold Rewards

Please let me know. Thanks!
The card will only cover travel that is either charged in full to your card or on MR redemptions. If you used any other program to redeem for flights, then you are not covered under the card's insurance. It does not matter if you transferred MR to another program and subsequently booked using those transferred points.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 2:52 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL

That's what I thought! Thank you for the the confirmation. Thank God all was okay and no delay or loss.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: *void

And in case you want coverage on future Aeroplan Flight awards, pay the taxes/fees using a CIBC or TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite card, if you have one. (just repeating what's already been said, earlier on this page/thread, nothing new here).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.