Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Canada: Travel insurance questions [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Canada: Travel insurance questions [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:52 am

I had a flight delay by about 6 hours once which ended up turning into almost 8 hours. I was stuck at La Guardia which is the worst airport to have to spend any amount of time in, in my opinion. I'm sure there are worse, but at the time it felt like the worst.

I couldn't find a lounge I had access too with even dinner or beer available. So, I had about $30 or $40 of incidental expenses. My mistake was going into the secure terminal too soon. There was just nothing to buy. Not even dinner or a drink.

I never bothered to claim anything. Next time, I probably would.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Are Airfare insurance benefits available when you PAY with your amex (plat or cent) tickets you buy? (E.G. Buying some tickets from AA site, paying with an amex centurion card).
or they are available only when you book those tickets through amex centurion travel?
Old Apr 12, 2014, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by tuchop
Are Airfare insurance benefits available when you PAY with your amex (plat or cent) tickets you buy? (E.G. Buying some tickets from AA site, paying with an amex centurion card).
or they are available only when you book those tickets through amex centurion travel?
The Amex insurance benefits vary by country, though tickets paid for with the Amex definitely are eligible (in some countries Amex also extends the insurance coverage to travel not charged to the CC), definitely no need to book via AMEX travel services.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: Avios, AMEX, AeroPlan, BMO, AS, WestJet
this question should be posted in churning amex in canada. sure you might have the odd person from canada come in and give their anectode but the entire thread, churning amex in canada is basically for people who do it for MR which most of the time is converted to aeroplan.

there your much more likely to have more incidents told, and remember theres alot tooth to the nail type stipulations, but canadians are behind those telephone lines, if your nice and polite they'l reciprocate it

though i have yet to have a need to trigger a claim, i would presume if you made the effort to pay everything that the aeroplan points didnt cover with their card, they will show leniency
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by DanTravel
I've used my Canadian Amex Platinum travel delay insurance benefits a few times, but it was always when a flight was cancelled for whatever reason.

How do the benefits apply, let's say, when you miss a connection. There are a few reasons you could miss a connection, incoming flight was delayed, or airport was much busier than usual and you couldn't make it to your next flight in time.

I'm asking because I have a 0:55h international connection coming up in Frankfurt.

If the connection is missed, does anyone know the criteria Amex will use to determine my $1000 benefit expense claim?

If my first flight is delayed, I think it's a no brainer. However, if I arrive at the airport, and certain criteria come into play that are not the fault of any one airline. Let's say the airport is overly crowded and the customs line is backed up much longer than it should be and I miss the flight. Or, I walk at my regular pace, and miss the flight - but I could have made it if I had ran for it.

Has anyone had any experience here with this type of scenario.

My Amex is a (Canadian) Platinum Amex.
First, you must be flying on a revenue ticket with the full fare charged to your Canadian Amex Platinum card, not Aeroplan or other redemption ticket except Amex MR.

If you miss a connection and there is no alternate flight available within 4 hours, your coverage kicks in. The original connection must meet the minimum connection time requirements.

Amex will cover you for "necessary and reasonable" expenses within 48 hours up to C$1,000. If you're so unlucky that the next available flight is 5 days later, you're on your own from day 3 to day 5.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by DanTravel
I had a flight delay by about 6 hours once which ended up turning into almost 8 hours. I was stuck at La Guardia which is the worst airport to have to spend any amount of time in, in my opinion. I'm sure there are worse, but at the time it felt like the worst.

I couldn't find a lounge I had access too with even dinner or beer available. So, I had about $30 or $40 of incidental expenses. My mistake was going into the secure terminal too soon. There was just nothing to buy. Not even dinner or a drink.

I never bothered to claim anything. Next time, I probably would.
Not much one can do with airport facilities. The Priority Pass that comes with the Canadian Amex Platinum card should be able to get you into the Maple Leaf Lounge or the United Club at the United terminal.

If you are flying AC within North America, consider buying On My Way coverage. I have excellent experience with OMW once before.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:24 am

The AMEX Plat travel insurance is so specific and I'm not sure what applies or not!

So for trip delay insurance, even if you use AP or MR or LM and pay for taxes with Amex Plat travle insurance still applies?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yerffej201
The AMEX Plat travel insurance is so specific and I'm not sure what applies or not!

So for trip delay insurance, even if you use AP or MR or LM and pay for taxes with Amex Plat travle insurance still applies?
Yes.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Yes.
Interesting. The certificates of insurance seem to say otherwise, but sounds good.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Yes.
Interesting. The certificates of insurance seem to say otherwise, but sounds good.
Assuming that you're referring to a Canadian Amex Plat card.

One is covered for Medical but nothing else if one is travelling on a redemption ticket other than Amex MR even if the sundry charges (e.g. fuel surcharge, taxes, etc.) are paid with the Canadian Amex Plat card.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801
Assuming that you're referring to a Canadian Amex Plat card.

One is covered for Medical but nothing else if one is travelling on a redemption ticket other than Amex MR even if the sundry charges (e.g. fuel surcharge, taxes, etc.) are paid with the Canadian Amex Plat card.
That's what i thought. But reports say otherwise.
And then at what point does amex mr stop becoming amex mr, such as if i transfer to ap, then to usdm via points.com? it's still amex mr to start with...
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:45 pm

That's what i thought. But reports say otherwise.
And then at what point does amex mr stop becoming amex mr, such as if i transfer to ap, then to usdm via points.com? it's still amex mr to start with...
I have contacted RBC insurance and the written reply was very clear. If one uses Amex MR to pay for the trip, in whole or partially, one is covered. If one transfers MR to another programme, e.g., Aeroplan and Asia Mile, and one obtains a ticket through that programme, one is not covered even if the taxes, fuel surcharges, etc. are paid with the Canadian Amex Plat card.

I have also read reports here about successful claims when travelling on an airline FF programme redemption tickets. One may want to take that chance. At the end of the day, if the claim is rejected and one wants to dispute in Court, the judge will only rule in accordance with the terms and conditions of the insurance policy which very clear states that it is not covered.

One will not find out until there is an incident and a claim is filed. Then you will find out.

When I travel on a redemption ticket, I buy a non-medical travel insurance policy because the medical part is covered by Amex.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Clipper801
I have contacted RBC insurance and the written reply was very clear. If one uses Amex MR to pay for the trip, in whole or partially, one is covered. If one transfers MR to another programme, e.g., Aeroplan and Asia Mile, and one obtains a ticket through that programme, one is not covered even if the taxes, fuel surcharges, etc. are paid with the Canadian Amex Plat card.

I have also read reports here about successful claims when travelling on an airline FF programme redemption tickets. One may want to take that chance. At the end of the day, if the claim is rejected and one wants to dispute in Court, the judge will only rule in accordance with the terms and conditions of the insurance policy which very clear states that it is not covered.
Thanks Clipper, for reporting "written" confirmation...I'm going to sound like a broken record, but I will repeat and concur, that this is consistent with what I had reported as well, after speaking to Amex reps late last year and earlier this year:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...23post21864257
I have spoken with AMEX on this in the past. There are NO AMEX cards, not even the Aeroplan Plat, which will provide flight insurance coverage on an Aeroplan Reward booking, where you use the AMEX card to play the taxes/surcharges/scamcharges. RBC is the underwriter, and I was transferred to speak to an RBC rep because the AMEX rep was not certain about this situation. The RBC rep repeated emphatically to me "NO AMEX cards, none!"

In order to get "Flight and baggage delay" and "Lost and stolen baggage" insurance, the flight cost must be charged for a FULL fare ticket to get these coverages. So, no coverage is applicable when paying just the Aeroplan taxes/fees.

I spoke with AMEX in Sept 2013, so unless things have changed YMMV big-time if you want this flight insurance coverage on an Aeroplan Reward booking.
So, as Clipper said, though others have stated getting coverage from Amex on Aeroplan redemption flights, included jarosuba upthread (which is a wonderful customer experience offered by Amex, contrary to the terms), don't be surprised to find that Amex refuses to provide assistance.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Thanks Clipper, for reporting "written" confirmation...I'm going to sound like a broken record, but I will repeat and concur, that this is consistent with what I had reported as well, after speaking to Amex reps late last year and earlier this year:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...23post21864257

So, as Clipper said, though others have stated getting coverage from Amex on Aeroplan redemption flights, included jarosuba upthread (which is a wonderful customer experience offered by Amex, contrary to the terms), don't be surprised to find that Amex refuses to provide assistance.
Right, so terms say you don't get it on redemptions BUT IF you do get it consider yourself lucky. Okay.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: *void
Right, so terms say you don't get it on redemptions BUT IF you do get it consider yourself lucky. Okay.
Korrectamundo...ad infinitum, and beyond.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.