Search

Passport Help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2003, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Passport Help

I have never worried about this before, but my son is about to start traveling in the Far East.

Exactly what help does Amex give you in getting a passport if it is lost? Do they just give you forms to fill out which you have to bring to the consulate/embassy or does it go beyond that?

Does it only work with American passports? (He has both US and Israeli).
Old Dec 7, 2003, 4:12 am

Location: KLM GD, DL PM, AA LT Plt, Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Interconti Amb/PC Spire, etc.
May depend on his card, but as a Centurion they arranged for a replacement to be delivered to my hotel.
Old Dec 7, 2003, 1:07 pm

Programs: I've got three passports, A couple of visas, Don't even know my real name.
I don't know how good Amex's service is but I have met lots of fellow travelers who have lost passports, credit cards, travelers checks etc. It's a pain in the neck, but easy enough to get sorted out if you are in a major city. Most banks will courier you a new card and advance you money on a Amex/Visa/MC etc.

As for the passport, only the consulate can issue a new one. They do have a callout service and they can do you a new passport in a hurry if you need one. I got a new passport from my consulate in London in 45 minutes.

Tell him to make a photocopy of the passport and keep it seperate from the passport so he doesn't lose both of them. Also, take a copy and keep it at home in a safe place.

Finally, a word of friendly advice - tell him to leave the Israeli passport at home unless he has a specific need for it (ie, he is going to Israel). Even then you are much better off with a USA passport.
Old Dec 7, 2003, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Thanks, everyone.

Ex-Amex, he really has no choice. He needs the Israeli passport to leave the country and to come back home after the trip. He knows, however, not to use it anywhere else.

Of course, these days saying you are American doesn't make you much safer than saying you are Israeli.
Old Dec 7, 2003, 10:36 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dovster:
Of course, these days saying you are American doesn't make you much safer than saying you are Israeli.</font>
I agree 100%. The same applies to citizens of the United Kingdom. IMHO, one of the safest passports to use, is the coveted Swiss Passport. The gleaming red book, with the easily identifiable white cross, is a symbol of safety and neutrality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.