Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX and PAYPAL.com

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:44 am

I have a centurion card and I done over $5K this month on ebay and paid with paypal and not 1 word. every change has gone through without 1 word. My largest charge was $1600 too.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 1:14 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
In my experience, the Paypal sending limit for CC funded payments varies greatly...not just Amex. I think it is determined my sender history, sender history with that card, receiver history, type of transaction, and maybe other factors. I have sent over $30K Amex funded Paypal payments in a few days before...but my per tranaction limit has been fluid.

Last edited by wanaflyforless; Apr 15, 2006 at 2:19 am
Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:15 am

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
Is anybody aware of the fact that this thread started in 2002, then continues some time in 2004 and then suddenly appeared in 2006? Thing may change in the time...
Old Apr 9, 2006, 4:17 pm

Programs: SPG Gold,Amex Cent,IC RA,HH Diamond,Marriott Gold,Hyatt Dia,LH FTL,CX Diam,FB Plat
Originally Posted by Brobbel
Is anybody aware of the fact that this thread started in 2002, then continues some time in 2004 and then suddenly appeared in 2006? Thing may change in the time...
Yes,I`m aware of it and I wonder why everybody can use an Amex card.When I tried to enter the dates of my Amex (Germany),I was told that Paypal would not accept Amex although I`d been using Amex/Paypal for some years.Is there any German Paypal member using his Amex card here on FT?
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by ringbahn
Is there any German Paypal member using his Amex card here on FT?
No, I'm Dutch - and use Paypal rarely and only with small amounts. I don't trust Paypal enough for higher amounts.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 7:02 am

Programs: Centurion
Originally Posted by ringbahn
Yes,I`m aware of it and I wonder why everybody can use an Amex card.When I tried to enter the dates of my Amex (Germany),I was told that Paypal would not accept Amex although I`d been using Amex/Paypal for some years.Is there any German Paypal member using his Amex card here on FT?
Yes, I'm from Germany and use my Amex with Paypal in eBay over years. My last transaction was last month. Now I write in German, it's easier to explain.

Ich hab eben mal auf mein Paypal-Profil geschaut und ich kann heutzutage keine weitere Amex mehr eingeben. Da eBay Deutschland auch kein Amex nimmt, wurde das wohl auch bei Paypal-Deutschland gestrichen. Ich hab mich damals noch auf der US-Seite von Paypal angemeldet, weil es da noch keine Deutsche Seite gab. Ich muss nun aber immer noch Zusatzgebühren bezahlen, weil die Amex-Karte über Amex-US abgerechnet wird. Ist nicht gerade der Hit. Vielleicht funktioniert es, wenn Du Dich zuerst auf der US-Seite anmeldest, aber ich glaub die Chancen sind schlecht mit Amex in Deutschland. Beschwerde an Amex schreiben!
Old Apr 15, 2006, 1:12 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by writetorich
I charge mostly on starwood for more valuable points.

Today, I tried Plat card for $1800 and then $900.

DENIED...
If you were sending to a Paypal personal account(receipient), I believe the limit is $500 monthly for any personal account to receive money after Paypal verification. That could be the problem.

Originally Posted by writetorich
This happened a few years ago with starwood card and I called Amex right away. Paypal customer service is non exsistance!....
Did you call? I got the answers I needed over the phone. I actually just spoke to their customer service tonight at 1-888-221-1161.
(4:00 AM PDT to 10:00 PM PDT Monday through Friday)
(6:00 AM PDT to 8:00 PM PDT on Saturday and Sunday)
Was told today this line is for Premier and Business Paypal accounts only.

Last edited by lin821; Apr 20, 2006 at 1:10 am Reason: Update
Old Jun 10, 2006, 9:27 am

Reviving this thread again

I've been trying to use PayPal to up my Amex spend, and have run into some difficulty.

It allowed me to do an $8000 transaction on 5/20. On 5/25 I did another $8000 transaction. On 5/26 I tried again and PayPal told me it was declined by Amex. I called Amex (plat) and asked them and they confirmed that they had declined the charge. They said that they have a limit on the amount charged through PayPal in each 30 day period. I asked what that limit was, and he said around $5000, but it depends on each account. I told him that it must be much more than that, and he looked at my account and was very surprised that I was allowed to charge so much, and told me that I was very lucky, and that he'd never seen anyone able to charge so high within 30 days before. I've been trying to do another $8000 about every other day, and on 6/7 another went through without being declined by Amex. I was thinking that maybe it's actually 15 days, so I tried again today (16 days past the 5/25 transaction), but it was declined.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
Old Jun 10, 2006, 5:53 pm

I think its just the luck of the draw. I sent $10k to a (verified) American personal account from the UK last month from my BA Amex PPlus card.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 3:10 am

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
AMEX still has a funky, inconsistent "30-day rolling average" limit for CHARGE CARD charging (gold,plat,cent), and it is absurdly low. In my experience as low as $4-$8K in a given 30day rolling period. (No loss, IMO, since AMEX's Membership Rewards program is so anemic who wants to accumulate MR points over starwood starpoints anyway ?)

OTOH, there is no limit, subject to your own credit line w/ AMEX, when using amex CREDIT CARDS such as HHONORs, starwood, etc (ie AMEX's OPTIMA card products).

ALL of these limits are AMEX-established, not paypal-established, even if and when AMEX claims otherwise (usually by an ill-informed AMEX CSR who doesn't even understand their own internal policies).
Old Jun 12, 2006, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by ILUVCITIBANK
AMEX still has a funky, inconsistent "30-day rolling average" limit for CHARGE CARD charging (gold,plat,cent), and it is absurdly low. In my experience as low as $4-$8K in a given 30day rolling period. (No loss, IMO, since AMEX's Membership Rewards program is so anemic who wants to accumulate MR points over starwood starpoints anyway ?)

OTOH, there is no limit, subject to your own credit line w/ AMEX, when using amex CREDIT CARDS such as HHONORs, starwood, etc (ie AMEX's OPTIMA card products).

ALL of these limits are AMEX-established, not paypal-established, even if and when AMEX claims otherwise (usually by an ill-informed AMEX CSR who doesn't even understand their own internal policies).
This is interesting. Does that mean that I could get them to fedex me an optima card and charge as much as I want via PayPal? (and am I correct in understanding that these charges will count towards my spend for cent. qualification?)

Also, how do you explain me being able to charge $24k using my plat charge card within the last 30 days?
Old Jun 12, 2006, 7:43 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, InterContinental Royal Ambassador
This is definitely a YMMV kind of thing.

I'm in the middle of a heavy charging month and have sent over $55k via PayPal in the first 12 days of this month.

All charged on my personal Centurion and no problems whatsoever.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 7:10 pm

Programs: V-Flyer Black
Funny you all have problems. I normally send about $14,000 a month (work) from my US Amex Gold Prefered Rewards Plus whatever they call it. Each transaction is well over $5,000.

I think it is more of a rolling spending thing........
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Brobbel
No, I'm Dutch - and use Paypal rarely and only with small amounts. I don't trust Paypal enough for higher amounts.
My colleague wanted to use his Amex on Paypal, but he couldn't enter his Amex-number, only Visa or Eurocard/Mastercard were accepted.

I tried for him, and after a phonecall to Paypal, they told me that the contracts between Paypal and Amex were suspended. Only the cards which were already on Paypal can be used until expiration date, but no new ones were accepted anymore.

I don't know if this is only for the Netherlands, Europe or everywhere, but I thought some of you wanted to know this.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

WOW that sounds like it would apply to all of paypal. they dont want to pay the amex fees i guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.