Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX and PAYPAL.com

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2002, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Were these "per month" limits that people mentioned per calendar month, or per statement month?

d
Old Jun 30, 2002, 11:26 pm

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
Doppy,
AMEX will tell you this limit is based on a ROLLING 30day period. ie, ...previous 29 days plus the current day you attempting to charge.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 1:43 pm

I had the same thing happen to me. I suspect AMEX sets the PAYPAL limit to prevent people from earning MR points in a rapid manner as this would be easily done with multiple paypal accounts.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 3:27 pm
KVU

Programs: Ex AmEx Cent, Ex BA/AmEx Premium Plus, Mastercard World Signia, HH Gold VIP, HPG Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
I had the same thing happen to me. I suspect AMEX sets the PAYPAL limit to prevent people from earning MR points in a rapid manner as this would be easily done with multiple paypal accounts.
I think if someone is silly enough to pay all that paypal comission in order to earn MR points then they are off their rocker. We, in London, have to pay silly fees for using AmEx on paypal. For starter all transactions are processed in USD so they conversion rate sticks one knife in your back, then AmEx apply their USD conversion, which as we know is a joke and then some. Last week I did a transaction for £312 on paypal. After paypal converted it to USD to charge my AmEx card and then AmEx converted it back to GBP I had ended up paying £332. Joke, eh? All because paypal dont have a UK merchant account. More like AmEx wont give it to them to swindle us UK paypal peps with hefty forex charges.

Best

KVU
Old Jul 28, 2004, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Wasn't part of the problem due to people using e-bay to buy things from themselves (or their relatives) using Paypal to generate low-cost Membership Reward points?
Old Jul 28, 2004, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by RJB
Wasn't part of the problem due to people using e-bay to buy things from themselves (or their relatives) using Paypal to generate low-cost Membership Reward points?
But these would not be low-cost MR points. The fee to be able to accept payments in your Paypal account via credit cards is 2.9% plus $0.30 per transaction. Is that an acceptable cost for MR points?

On a similar subject, Stormpay (similar online payment system as Paypal), has just this week stopped accepting AmEx as a payment method.

Susan
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by SusanDK
On a similar subject, Stormpay (similar online payment system as Paypal), has just this week stopped accepting AmEx as a payment method.
I would prefer not to shop somewhere that did not accept AmEx.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 9:38 am

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
I have never heard of Stormpay, but when I checked their IN-BOUND fees...was surprised anyone would use such a service.

Paypal is half this. Am I missing something ? That they stopped AMEX, if they did (I don't personally know), is just the final nail in the coffin of this place. I have long-wondered why a large entity like AMEX, Citibank, even Wells Fargo bank (one of the original founding bank members of paypal, who sold out their interest when eBa bought the service)...hasn't jumped into this multi-billion electronic payment service. I believe there is a day when profits from paypal may rival ebay's own internally-generate profits, or at least represent a HUGE eBay's gross cash flow and gross income.

That the world's largest banks are missing this wide-open opportunity is really intriguing.
==================================
Receive Money to your StormPay Account::

Standard Rate = 6.9% plus 69 cents per transaction*
Old Jul 31, 2004, 10:58 am

Programs: Co Plat - Marriott Plat
Does Amex provide any kind of protection with using the card to pay via paypal for a auction purchase? If someone was to buy somthing on a aution and use the card via paypal- never recieve the item- would you be able to call Amex and dispute the charge?
Old Jul 31, 2004, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by ILUVCITIBANK
I have never heard of Stormpay, but when I checked their IN-BOUND fees...was surprised anyone would use such a service.

Paypal is half this. Am I missing something ? That they stopped AMEX, if they did (I don't personally know), is just the final nail in the coffin of this place.
I would never use them by choice, but a lot of online businesses use them for convenience to accept payments from customers. Paypal can be very difficult for small online businesses and will shut down accounts and freeze money at the drop of a hat if they see too much volume going through.

I've only used Stormpay to pay one merchant that I wanted to purchase from and had no other options (luckily, that merchant now has its own merchant account).

Susan
Old Apr 6, 2006, 2:49 pm

Current Status Of Paypal Limits

will a 1800 non ebay non auction payment be approved by ebay And Amex.
I'm sending it to an infrequent paypal user. An account that is a few years old but has not recieved money in the past. My friend has only sent money.
I am along time Amex cardholder and have a new Plat charge card ($395 a year).

I would be using the plat charge card.

I saw this two year old thread and was unsure if I should start a new one or continue this dated thread.

o
Old Apr 6, 2006, 6:25 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, InterContinental Royal Ambassador
I'm completely confused. Are we talking about limits when sending payments on PayPal using your Amex? I send huge payments via PayPal every month and never have a problem. I probably average $30k per month on my Amex Business Gold and $15k per month on my Centurion thru PayPal. Am I missing something?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:15 pm

Are you paying for ebay purchases via paypal WITH AMEX

Originally Posted by LiveFromNY
I'm completely confused. Are we talking about limits when sending payments on PayPal using your Amex? Am I missing something?
No you are not confused or missing anything.

If you are paying for ebay auctions, I think its viewed like any other purchase,
But I think that $1000 is a limit per month for others.

Have you had any charged as a cash advance?

I heard that Paypal can be diffucult with credit cards when it comes to money payments and not ebay auctions.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:22 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, InterContinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by writetorich
No you are not confused or missing anything.

If you are paying for ebay auctions, I think its viewed like any other purchase,
But I think that $1000 is a limit per month for others.

Have you had any charged as a cash advance?

I heard that Paypal can be diffucult with credit cards when it comes to money payments and not ebay auctions.
Never had a payment charged as a cash advance. Not even sure I have cash advance on my business charge card.

Just today I paid a web developer $6500 on my business Amex and paid 2 ebay auctions for rare coins, one for $2100 and one for $2800 on my Centurion. I also sent a guy $1300 yesterday for a deposit on a custom piece of furniture.

All on my Amex cards and all with no problems.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 10:05 pm

Plat card denied for $1800 and then $900!!!!

I charge mostly on starwood for more valuable points.

Today, I tried Plat card for $1800 and then $900.

DENIED.

EBAY screen "claimed" card issuer denied.

I skeptical. I sending to a paypay acct with zero transactions.
part of me suspects that paypal views this as higher risk and wants to steer me to instant transfer or e check.

This happened a few years ago with starwood card and I called Amex right away. Paypal customer service is non exsistance!

Amex said my account was find and it should have gone through.

Something is fishy here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.