Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Second Global Entry Reimbursement?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by 14940674
I am not surprised. I wonder what those posters who reported that their kids were free were seeing.
seeing or smoking?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat
I think under 14 can clear with parents, so no need for GE, but still get the benefit.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by umustbjokim
I think under 14 can clear with parents, so no need for GE, but still get the benefit.
I've seen families get head-of-line privilege in regular CBP lines when the parents have GE and the kids don't, but that was before they let children under 12 enroll. That may have changed.

According to the GE FAQ, children must be enrolled in GE for the family to use GE for entry:

http://www.globalentry.gov/faq.html#30
Q: As a Global Entry program member, or NEXUS or SENTRI member with the Global Entry benefit, can I extend my expedited benefit to my travel companion(s) (children, spouse, or co-traveler) who is/are not part of the Global Entry program?
A: Global Entry benefits are member specific and cannot be extended to others.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by HookemHorns
I've seen families get head-of-line privilege in regular CBP lines when the parents have GE and the kids don't, but that was before they let children under 12 enroll. That may have changed.

According to the GE FAQ, children must be enrolled in GE for the family to use GE for entry:

Q: As a Global Entry program member, or NEXUS or SENTRI member with the Global Entry benefit, can I extend my expedited benefit to my travel companion(s) (children, spouse, or co-traveler) who is/are not part of the Global Entry program?
Aha, interesting - that was not the case when we signed up. Good to know!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by HookemHorns

Well two weeks ago (Dec 31) I flew into JFK from HKG with the rest of the family. I have GE but they don't so I joined them in a queue at JFK. Once I reached the custom officer he said next time I can cut the line and bring the rest of the family along. I couldn't believe it so I asked again he confirmed it. Thought it is kind of unfair to other people waiting in the queue. Now it looked like what the officer told me was wrong.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by yoyo
Well two weeks ago (Dec 31) I flew into JFK from HKG with the rest of the family. I have GE but they don't so I joined them in a queue at JFK. Once I reached the custom officer he said next time I can cut the line and bring the rest of the family along. I couldn't believe it so I asked again he confirmed it. Thought it is kind of unfair to other people waiting in the queue. Now it looked like what the officer told me was wrong.
From the FAQ, GE privileges cannot be shared (eg: taking a non-GE family member in tow through the kiosks). Head-of-line seems to be a gray area. According to the FAQ, head-of-line is only available when the GE kiosks are down, or as directed by a CBP officer. It appears the rule allows for some leeway, and from what I've observed, the officer you spoke with was not necessarily wrong.

Before my kids had GE, I used to approach the first CBP officer I could find, flash my passport with "CBP" sticker, and ask if my family (usually queued at that point) would be eligible for front-of-line privilege. Sometimes the answer was yes, and sometimes no.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: All of them...
Originally Posted by xlax:19774836
Originally Posted by jbak_ft
I called Amex to inquire about this. . . .
But did you follow rule No. 2 - HUACB (hang up and call back)?

Rule No. 1 - Don't call
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:06 am

quick question - not sure if anyone is in this situation -

I applied in May 2011 right after Amex Platinum started offering the reimbursement. Had no plans of traveling internationally but figured what the hell. Got the statement credit quickly, scheduled my interview, and then the airport I was scheduled for had to re-schedule me. Long story short, I had to re-schedule again (due to a conflict on my part), and ended up just canceling the interview when another conflict came up (figured it was free and I had no plans for traveling internationally so nothing lost nothing gained).

Fast forward 2.5 years and now I'm planning a few international trips and I'd like to enroll - any evidence as to whether Amex would reimburse another application fee for an interview as of Jan 2014? I can't tell from the posts whether it was being reimbursed once per year back in 2011/early 2012. Also, given Platinum customer service normally siding with the customer, my hope is that even if the once per 5 years stipulation applies (even though my first app was back before they had this stipulation), they'd manually reimburse me.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:22 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by jason478
quick question - not sure if anyone is in this situation -

I applied in May 2011 right after Amex Platinum started offering the reimbursement. Had no plans of traveling internationally but figured what the hell. Got the statement credit quickly, scheduled my interview, and then the airport I was scheduled for had to re-schedule me. Long story short, I had to re-schedule again (due to a conflict on my part), and ended up just canceling the interview when another conflict came up (figured it was free and I had no plans for traveling internationally so nothing lost nothing gained).

Fast forward 2.5 years and now I'm planning a few international trips and I'd like to enroll - any evidence as to whether Amex would reimburse another application fee for an interview as of Jan 2014? I can't tell from the posts whether it was being reimbursed once per year back in 2011/early 2012. Also, given Platinum customer service normally siding with the customer, my hope is that even if the once per 5 years stipulation applies (even though my first app was back before they had this stipulation), they'd manually reimburse me.

Thoughts?
The current policy is one reimbursement for the lifetime of the card. It's not currently clear that they'll even reimburse once people who signed up in the first wave reach their 5-year expiration. I recently put a friend's sign-up fee on my card in hopes of getting it reimbursed, about 2.5 years after my initial sign-up was reimbursed, and there was no reimbursement. So YMMV but doesn't look good.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:33 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Transferred jason478's question to a more specific thread.

Originally Posted by colerc
The current policy is one reimbursement for the lifetime of the card. It's not currently clear that they'll even reimburse once people who signed up in the first wave reach their 5-year expiration.
I think the policy has been updated:

Card Members can receive one $100 credit every 5 years for an application fee charged to each eligible Card.
http://exploreplatinum.americanexpre...enefits/Travel
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:35 am

Thanks colerc - did you attempt to have Amex reimburse you manually? (either via secure message or calling?) My hopes are that they'd grant an exception since your first signup was prior to the limitation (like mine).
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jason478
Thanks colerc - did you attempt to have Amex reimburse you manually? (either via secure message or calling?) My hopes are that they'd grant an exception since your first signup was prior to the limitation (like mine).
Not sure if this is an alternative, but would it be possible to contact GOES/CBP and see if your original application is still out there pending somehow, and they'd let you update/complete it without a new application fee?

I'm sure there's some sort of expiration, and I'd much rather deal with Amex than CBP...but it's one alternative route if Amex doesn't provide the second reimbursement. After all, in Amex's books, they've already paid the $100 and their T&Cs specifically say it's not on them if you don't get approved for any reason.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by InfoMofo
to interview for Nexus you had to go to one of the enrollment centers near the US/Canadian Border (http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/tr...xus_enroll.xml), so I just went with Global Entry.
that is correct assumption, right?

I just want TSA precheck and GOES seems like the only option in TX or AZ...
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: WN CP, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, AA Gold
I hate to bring back a (very) old thread, but I had a question about this and was wondering if anyone had any recent experience...

I paid Global Entry in early 2012 with Amex Plat, was reimbursed, and then didn't get around to getting to the interview. My fault, I know. I kept putting it off and my application was cancelled. I paid the fee to get Global Entry then, and was reimbursed from Amex in 2012.

I want to pay the fee for Global Entry again now. Any idea if Amex will reimburse me again, with the same Plat Amex?
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Not sure about your specific question, but while the thread has been revived -- I started this originally asking about whether I could get the second reimbursement for my daughter. In the meantime, my wife paid the fee with a different CC and I never tested whether it would work. Then, just to test this again, we had a son.* Applied for GE for him a few weeks ago, the charge came through on Jan 28, and no reimbursement yet (and I'm not expecting any). I have been planning to get the biz plat -- should have done it before applying for him!

*Not true. Well, the second half of the sentence is true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.