Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express (USA) online shopping portal gone? (fka Bonus Points Mall)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by mia
Every major airline operates a shopping portal which allows the customer to pay with any card. There was nothing special about the American Express portal, and there is still ample competition except for the fact that Caretera operates most of the USA-based programs, including Chase.
Except that the trasnferability of points from MR to multiple programs was a definite bonus. I realize that closing of the shopping portal doesn't change that, but it certainly makes the entire program less valuable since I'll have significantly fewer points to transfer.

AMEX has until the end of summer to sort this out or I'm closing all my accounts and shifting the rest of my business to Chase.

After all the continuous devaluation of the program over the last 18 months, there is little differentiation in their value proposition.

My Ritz Carlton rewards card gives me the $200 airline incidental credit, lounge access and ensures I never, ever fall below Gold elite level with Marriott/RC. I think if I add a UR card I'll be good to go.

It might actually be nice to get off the AMEX annual fee treadmill. Between a plat card, business gold and the Mrs.'s cards we pay them way to much each year for the pleasure of using their cards.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by mia
Every major airline operates a shopping portal which allows the customer to pay with any card. There was nothing special about the American Express portal, and there is still ample competition except for the fact that Caretera operates most of the USA-based programs, including Chase.
Did/does Caretera operate Amex's portal as well?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 11:17 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by goAsia
Did/does Caretera operate Amex's portal as well?
Not to my knowledge. It may have been outsourced when it was initially launched as Bonus Points Mall, but /earn seems to have been run in-house.

Last edited by mia; Jul 7, 2012 at 4:23 pm
Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Pure speculation / Questions with no answer expected:

Is AMEX just moving things around? I notice the small business credit in Boston & other targeted locales recently, and last month or so they were doing various statement credits up to $100 for certain vendors via twitter.

Is their promo budget being moved from the mall and into direct statement credits or other 'modern' social media venues such as Facebook / Twitter?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:25 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by reft
Is their promo budget being moved from the mall and ...
No, the shopping portal should be profitable for the operator. The bonus points are purchased by the merchants.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:47 am

AMEX is really loosing my respect. Their customer service was always excellent and their decisions transparent. Now, I'll take Chase almost any day over AMEX.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by mia
No, the shopping portal should be profitable for the operator. The bonus points are purchased by the merchants.
Someone I can always remember that for airline miles and forget it for general points.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by mfr2000
I sent a secure message to Amex Rewards and got this reply:

I am really sorry that the Bonus Points Mall web site is still not working and you are loosing on bonus points.

However, please do not worry, I would request you to make the charge directly at merchants physical store or online store (Apple, Tiger Direct, Home depot etc) and once the charge is posted to your account, write back to us with the charge details and we will issue the bonus points manually.

NOW I AM CONFUSED
Right, nothing so far today. Will have to double check later. I have had around 200k with the bonus points first half of the year, so it will really be a problem if this doesn't get fixed.

May I ask what the secure message protocol is? An email or...?

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Jul 9, 2012 at 10:15 am
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by byroshi
Just received a SM from Amex saying that after I've made my purchases at the qualifying retail or online merchant, if I wait till the charges post to my account and reply back to the SM, the rep will manually add the 3X for me.

As for the site being down, the rep said that their Technical team is reviewing some technical difficulties with no ETA on when the site will return... so yes, it seems like we're getting different messages (technical issues vs. shutting down the site).
that's good enough for me, i will go ahead with purchases and revert to them to have the account adjusted manually
Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: American Express Membership Rewards, Marriott Rewards Platinum
Had an interesting chat with an MR rep today. He read me an email sent to employees updating them on the shopping portal. In sum: it is currently being "reviewed" and may be ulimately discontinued, reinstated or replaced/updated.

Rep said that it got very positive or negative reviews based on whether a cardholder was awarded the bonus points (aka they used the portal correctly, didn't attempt to buy an item in store yet expect bonus, and didn't attempt to combine the bonus with another shopping portal).

The same email mentioned this targeted promo:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...threshold.html

Apparently, they're still sending it out, with newer accounts getting invited later.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 7:23 pm

This is a shame. I've been doing most of my spending with Chase for the last year, but have to trying to move more spending back to Amex lately to diversify where my points are. It seems like the last purchase I made via the Bonus Points Mall, at Lands' End, posted correctly, so at least there's that. If I'm not going to have the opportunity to earn multiple points for shopping online, it's going to be very very hard for me to build up enough points to be useable for anything worthwhile.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA CK
FWIW, all of my 6x tigerdirect charges during the promotion in May and June are not posting correctly. They're posted as 4x (3x in bonus). The 6x Apple charges are posting correctly. When I called MR the rep told me that I'll have to wait until the earn site comes back up for them to have access to the records and reconcile any errors in bonuses with me.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:18 am

I really loved the Bonus Points Mall and hope they decide to keep it. I've never had a problem receiving my points. I hope they decide to bring it back. If not I will switch my purchases to Chase.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:02 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by emoose1
Had an interesting chat with an MR rep today. He read me an email sent to employees updating them on the shopping portal. In sum: it is currently being "reviewed" and may be ulimately discontinued, reinstated or replaced/updated.
Wow, this is terrible news. Amex don't seem to want me to use their charge cards for spending anymore.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by emoose1

Rep said that it got very positive or negative reviews based on whether a cardholder was awarded the bonus points (aka they used the portal correctly, didn't attempt to buy an item in store yet expect bonus, and didn't attempt to combine the bonus with another shopping portal).

The same email mentioned this targeted promo:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...threshold.html

Apparently, they're still sending it out, with newer accounts getting invited later.
Did the rep say what the motives were from AMex? Are they still trying to have people used the shopping portal and earned bonus points, or they care about the reviews that might hurt the image of the cards? If the former, all they have to do is to educate people better to use them. If the latter, then all they need is to come up with a better idea to get bonus points through some protocol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.