Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express (USA) online shopping portal gone? (fka Bonus Points Mall)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express (USA) online shopping portal gone? (fka Bonus Points Mall)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by karlmitchell
All categorized as "Merchandise & Supplies - Internet Purchase"? Sometimes they process as "Merchandise & Supplies - Department Stores" on Amazon, but none of those have given me 3x points.

-Karl
In December I had a bunch of purchases from Amazon, which again were in the mixed categories above. I believe it may have to do with if the purchase was 'Ships from and sold by Amazon.com' vs. sold by 'xxxx' fulfilled by Amazon.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by balwx
In December I had a bunch of purchases from Amazon, which again were in the mixed categories above. I believe it may have to do with if the purchase was 'Ships from and sold by Amazon.com' vs. sold by 'xxxx' fulfilled by Amazon.
Yep. I see the same thing. My orders for items that were directly sold by Amazon did not get bonus. Those that were from other merchants (even if fulfilled by amazon) got 3x. As described previously, those that got the bonus have the merchant listed as Amazon Marketplace (as opposed to simply Amazon.com) and were classified as "Merchandise & Supplies - Internet Purchase."

I also got 3x on a couple of Paypal transactions, filed under "Business Services - Internet Services."

I still wonder just what in the heck is going on here. Why have bonus categories and not tell your customers about them? I mean, I'm not really complaining, since I got a couple of thousand points I had no reason to expect, but as a business strategy it makes no sense to me.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by mfr2000
I sent a secure message to Amex Rewards and got this reply:

I am really sorry that the Bonus Points Mall web site is still not working and you are loosing on bonus points.

However, please do not worry, I would request you to make the charge directly at merchants physical store or online store (Apple, Tiger Direct, Home depot etc) and once the charge is posted to your account, write back to us with the charge details and we will issue the bonus points manually.

NOW I AM CONFUSED

I wonder if all these 3x bonuses is just American Express' attempt to automate this? Maybe it's just a goodwill thing? If only it were vaguely predictable!
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:16 am

I still got 3x at paypal this month. Makes me want to use paypal for all of my online transactions - unfortunately this is only a $5 recurring monthly transaction (though it serves as a good barometer for whether this "glitch" is still active.)

It looks like Amex might be trying to tighten this problem up though - they clarified terms of the bonus categories on my most recent statement. (3x only for airfare directly from carrier, 2x only at domestic (US) gas stations)
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:26 pm

I wonder if all these 3x bonuses is just American Express' attempt to automate this? Maybe it's just a goodwill thing? If only it were vaguely predictable!
I doubt it's proactively goodwill, rather than something systemic.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 3:22 pm

Semantics. A deliberate introduction of a systemic benefit, whether announced or not, can count as goodwill. If accidental, however, clearly it isn't.

My personal favourite idea is that they're just messing with us. By giving these unexpected points, they're keeping us engaged and interested enough not to cancel. Incidentally, they may even keep us quiet on all the inquiries, as we don't want to risk losing this benefit by drawing their attention to it! However, my preference towards that interpretation is borne more out of amusement at the idea rather than any kind of logic.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 4:27 pm

So we made some additional purchases from "sold by 'xxxx' fulfilled by Amazon" which posted yesterday 3x.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 4:40 pm

I asked Amex for an update on the missing earn mall, today. Nothing new. However, I'm increasingly of the opinion that the current state of affairs could be more lucrative than the old earn mall, as we can leverage the mysterious 3x bonuses in addition to referral bonuses from other sites.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:49 pm
Used to be highman123

I had several Apple purchase but no bonus points posted. I inquired today.

highman123, I would like to inform you that membershiprewards.com/earn is currently unavailable. Therefore, you cannot earn 4X or 5X MR points for Apple purchases

We have recently identified unforeseen system issues within the Earn page at membershiprewards.com. While we make updates to fix these issues, we have to interrupt the program.

Last edited by MightyTravels; Feb 7, 2013 at 12:57 pm
Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by highman123
I had several Apple purchase but no bonus points posted. I inquired today.

highman123, I would like to inform you that membershiprewards.com/earn is currently unavailable. Therefore, you cannot earn 4X or 5X MR points for Apple purchases

We have recently identified unforeseen system issues within the Earn page at membershiprewards.com. While we make updates to fix these issues, we have to interrupt the program.
"recently". That's funny.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:31 am

The (correct) bonus points for a purchase I made last July just posted this weekend. (I never even inquired about them.)
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:06 am

The link title says it all:

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/03/amex...opping-portal/

Hopefully our recent discussions point to a replacement of a different sort, however.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:53 pm

The link title says it all:

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/03/amex...opping-portal/

Hopefully our recent discussions point to a replacement of a different sort, however.
What's funny is, if you look upthread, several of us that got talkative CSRs last year already knew this was done.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 1:40 pm

Yes, but others stated quite clearly that they were working on fixing the earnings mall. I'm afraid that they've been very inconsistent.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:46 pm

It appears the mysterious triple points bonuses may be ending. The small recurring paypal charge I had been getting triple points on every month only received one point / dollar this month. Any other recent experiences?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.