Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FHR rates competitive?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
2015 FHR brochure now available - http://www.finehotelsresortsdigital....lplatinum/2015

Confirms free in-room WiFi as a new benefit ^
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by ABG
FHR or Centurion? Clearly the later and clearly not available to those who just have FHR access
Yes Centurion, so I get an extra bennie or two, but even normal Platinum FHR you get at least free breakfast right? So if the FHR rate is the same as the published web rate, it is again an easy choice. And I think you'd get the 3rd night free under the current promo.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 2:53 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by stimpy
Yes Centurion, so I get an extra bennie or two
Your posted offer is, IMHO, substantially better than the FHR offer and doesn't belong in a thread entitled "FHR rates competitive". This is a CTS offer and open to a small pool of customers.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ABG
Your posted offer is, IMHO, substantially better than the FHR offer and doesn't belong in a thread entitled "FHR rates competitive". This is a CTS offer and open to a small pool of customers.
It is not true at all that Centurion is substantially better in this case. If you read the link above to the 2015 FHR catalog and look up this hotel, you can see that you too will get the same benefits except one which is the $200 spa/F&B. Oh and Cent's get 12pm check in too. Those are the only differences. And as this thread is about the rates, those are the same for Plat and Cent.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:55 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Then at least note it as such in your post stimpy. I would call 200.00(USD?) credit on a hotel that starts at SGD380 before any free nights pretty substantial
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, here is a re-post of the above....

Booking the MO Singapore, the FHR rates are exactly the same as the rates on the MO website. So it's an easy choice to book with FHR and get the same room, but also...

3rd night free
daily buffet breakfast
$200 F&B or spa credit (Centurion only, minimum 3 night stay)
Free lunch or dinner
12pm check in and 4pm check out
upgrade at check in

Is that better for you? It doesn't really change the basic point that FHR rates are very competitive at this hotel.

Last edited by stimpy; Mar 29, 2015 at 5:05 pm Reason: edit thanks to Kages note
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

cent basically adds 2nd amenity and confirmed upgrade at cent partners

noon checkin if available is for plat as well
Old May 2, 2016, 11:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Thumbs down Conrad Seoul

Looking to add 1 extra night to my 2 x weekend certs. Hotel website is $76USD cheaper than FHR. As a Diamond, I get all the amenities other than the $100USD F&B credit. Will just book through the hotel's site.
Old May 3, 2016, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by jmw2323
Looking to add 1 extra night to my 2 x weekend certs. Hotel website is $76USD cheaper than FHR. As a Diamond, I get all the amenities other than the $100USD F&B credit. Will just book through the hotel's site.
To be fair, the $100 F&B credit might be worth more to some people. For example, if you were holding a dinner at the hotel. Is that a HHonors rate on the website?
Old May 3, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by skimple
To be fair, the $100 F&B credit might be worth more to some people. For example, if you were holding a dinner at the hotel. Is that a HHonors rate on the website?
no doubt that certain things are worth more to others. $24 net isn't much.

yes, it's an HHonors rate but anyone can get that rate just by signing up

then again, HHonors rate only beats most other sites such as Booking.com and Expedia by $5

So FHR is still significantly higher
Old May 4, 2016, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I'd estimate that in my experience FHR rates are best about 2/3 of the time. I usually assume that I'll use the F&B credit and breakfast, but I do not assume I'll get an upgrade.

Sometimes the FHR guaranteed 4 pm late checkout and likely early check-in benefit is the critical difference for me.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by acarney
I agree that I wouldn't really mind Amex ditching Marriott if they truly can't get anything better then the "new gold" which isn't that great compared to what we were used to this last year or so...

I would like Hyatt to be brought into the mix but really the perks aren't that great unless they bump you into the top tier, and I doubt that would be the case. The lounge access and full 4pm late checkout is what seems the most useful to me and what I would like to see from a $550 card. I doubt Amex would bump up to Hilton diamond since they already offer a cobranded card that offers that... They would need to add something else perk wise if they ditched Marriott and just kept Hilton the same, even if they expanded the Uber benefit to just be $200 in "car service" credits (rental, private card, car sharing, Uber/Lyft etc) but I suspect they're getting a sweetheart deal from Uber on that perk.

Maybe I need to investigate in booking more hotel stays using the Amex travel portal to gain the perks, though I'm not sure if any/many "normal" (think ~$200 to $250/night) Marriott level properties are part of that program. I don't really want to be dropping $400+ a night to get perks like that :P

MR and airport lounge... what are you going to do Amex, I don't see a lot of "wow" coming from your card...
Any time I've used the Amex portal to get some of the FHR benefits, the price has been so significantly higher on a per night basis than it would be booking direct that no amount of supplementary value from the FHR program would make it worth it. At times I've noticed hundreds of dollars difference on a nightly basis for the same room and the FHR benefit for that hotel has been something pointless like a one time hotel credit or daily breakfast, which at most hotels I get anyway, well I did before this.

Now, if they made it so hotels booked directly with the hotel earned 5x MR points the same as flights booked directly with airlines, then I'd be listening. That would be a huge win for Amex if they made that change and I think it might be the most logical change with this devaluation of their current hotel status offerings.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by RumPatrol
Any time I've used the Amex portal to get some of the FHR benefits, the price has been so significantly higher on a per night basis than it would be booking direct that no amount of supplementary value from the FHR program would make it worth it. At times I've noticed hundreds of dollars difference on a nightly basis for the same room and the FHR benefit for that hotel has been something pointless like a one time hotel credit or daily breakfast, which at most hotels I get anyway, well I did before this.
I agree with this over a few dozen searches (admittedly small data). I have heard comments that "it's great for Las Vegas" and maybe that's true.

But it seems to nearly never be a great deal elsewhere.

I see two possibilities

1) People aren't comparison shopping and believe FHR is a good deal even when it isn't.

2) There are select cities/times/properties where it is a great deal and we've just missed them.

But even if (2) is true, I suspect you are still giving up a deal at some other hotel to get the FHR deal. In other words, you might get an $800 room for $600 with FHR and also get free food, but there's still a really great $500 hotel out there to be booked directly/via Expedia/etc.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by rogo
But even if (2) is true, I suspect you are still giving up a deal at some other hotel to get the FHR deal. In other words, you might get an $800 room for $600 with FHR and also get free food, but there's still a really great $500 hotel out there to be booked directly/via Expedia/etc.
My experience is with hotels in Hawaii, specifically the Fairmont Orchid. The FHR price is always the same as booking directly from the hotel, but it gives the $100 amenity (spa credit or in recent years food credit), plus free breakfast and if not a room upgrade, you at least get a reasonable room. A couple of years ago, when I booked through an OTA, I received an extremely crappy room on the bottom floor, with the view and noise of a nearby utility building. I didn't even know that the Fairmont has such substandard rooms. I had the same experience with a Marriott just a couple of miles down the road. SInce then I never book any hotel in Hawaii through an OTA, I always make sure to book direct or preferably through FHR, my experiences since have been much much better.

The only complaint I have is that the 4th night free benefit sometimes offered on FHR is a scam - the price booked on the hotel web site is the same as the FHR price *with* the discount included. So the 4th night free really isn't a discount at all.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by rogo
I agree with this over a few dozen searches (admittedly small data). I have heard comments that "it's great for Las Vegas" and maybe that's true.

But it seems to nearly never be a great deal elsewhere.

I see two possibilities

1) People aren't comparison shopping and believe FHR is a good deal even when it isn't.

2) There are select cities/times/properties where it is a great deal and we've just missed them.

I'm guessing 2 is true, I'm sure there are some good deals out there on FHR that I'm just missing because they are places I don't travel to, but I've searched for hotels on FHR across the world from the US to Europe to Asia and never saw a FHR deal that was better than just booking direct. At times it was so much more expensive that I'm convinced it was an error.

Originally Posted by blaz
My experience is with hotels in Hawaii, specifically the Fairmont Orchid. The FHR price is always the same as booking directly from the hotel, but it gives the $100 amenity (spa credit or in recent years food credit), plus free breakfast and if not a room upgrade, you at least get a reasonable room. A couple of years ago, when I booked through an OTA, I received an extremely crappy room on the bottom floor, with the view and noise of a nearby utility building. I didn't even know that the Fairmont has such substandard rooms. I had the same experience with a Marriott just a couple of miles down the road. SInce then I never book any hotel in Hawaii through an OTA, I always make sure to book direct or preferably through FHR, my experiences since have been much much better.

The only complaint I have is that the 4th night free benefit sometimes offered on FHR is a scam - the price booked on the hotel web site is the same as the FHR price *with* the discount included. So the 4th night free really isn't a discount at all.
I forgot to mention this in my original post, but yes that is something I've run into a lot. I'd look at a 3rd or 4th night free property, and then when you go to book it ends up being just as much as just booking 3 or 4 nights direct would be. Very scammy.

I might try FHR for Hawai'i trips from now on. I've tried it all over the world and don't think I've ever come across something that made any financial sense whatsoever. I also never use it in Vegas because I tend to get upgrades direct from hotels, but I might give it a try there too since everyone seems to suggest it works best there. I'm in Vegas 10 times a year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.