Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Platinum & Membership Rewards SPG/Marriott benefits beginning August 2018?

Amex Platinum & Membership Rewards SPG/Marriott benefits beginning August 2018?

Reply

Old Apr 16, 18, 3:39 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 122
Amex Platinum & Membership Rewards SPG/Marriott benefits beginning August 2018?

i wonder if this benefit will still match to gold in the new Marriott rewards system? Would be a blow to see this drop to silver or get cut altogether. I saw the luxury spg card matches to gold, and if the hilton aspire matching to diamond is any indication im afraid it might match to silver.
cplush is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 18, 3:44 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 7,605
I would guess Gold... but the benefits of the new Gold are less attractive. Specifically no more lounge -> no more breakfast. And if that's true, one less reason for me to hold on to the Plat card.
notquiteaff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 18, 3:55 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Charlottesville, Va. USA
Posts: 1,188
Does anyone know which additional airlines will be available to transfer points to? Specifically, will miles now transfer to AA at the same rates as other airlines?
jmj9905 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 18, 4:19 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 7,605
Originally Posted by jmj9905 View Post
Does anyone know which additional airlines will be available to transfer points to? Specifically, will miles now transfer to AA at the same rates as other airlines?
There's probably a better thread for that in the SPG forum
notquiteaff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 18, 4:24 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: SkyTeam Elite, Aeroplan, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 149
One of the biggest benefits to me holding Amex Plat has been Marriott gold and getting lounge access and breakfast.

If that benefit goes with the new elite system, I'm not sure what my plan B is. Hilton gold gives breakfast, but Hiltons are a lot more expensive overall and have a much smaller footprint.

I'll have to see what Amex Canada is going to do. I am definitely not paying big bucks for a higher tier SPG card that only gives gold...I would for plat and then cancel my current Amex Plat.
ESpen36 and Stgermainparis like this.
Handcake is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 18, 4:25 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SFO
Posts: 2,223
Originally Posted by cplush View Post
i wonder if this benefit will still match to gold in the new Marriott rewards system? Would be a blow to see this drop to silver or get cut altogether. I saw the luxury spg card matches to gold, and if the hilton aspire matching to diamond is any indication im afraid it might match to silver.
Per NY times:

Also, cardholders of the old-school American Express Platinum card will continue to get automatic Marriott gold status.


https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/16/y...y-program.html
Troopers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 18, 4:28 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SFO
Posts: 2,223
Originally Posted by Handcake View Post
One of the biggest benefits to me holding Amex Plat has been Marriott gold and getting lounge access and breakfast.

If that benefit goes with the new elite system, I'm not sure what my plan B is. Hilton gold gives breakfast, but Hiltons are a lot more expensive overall and have a much smaller footprint.

I'll have to see what Amex Canada is going to do. I am definitely not paying big bucks for a higher tier SPG card that only gives gold...I would for plat and then cancel my current Amex Plat.
I suspect you're not alone. $75k spend on the new SPG Luxury Card (or the Ritz card) gets you Platinum. No more lounge and breakfast with a credit card.
Troopers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 18, 4:44 pm
  #8  
dw
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: New York, NY
Programs: AA Plat, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC, Marriott/SPG Gold
Posts: 4,338
Compared to pre-merger SPG I suppose the new Gold status is similar on paper except that we lose guaranteed 4 pm checkout and get 2 pm subject to availability... and with so many higher tiers, upgrades will probably be few and far between.

Iíve certainly enjoyed the Marriott Gold Iíve had since the merger, and am disappointed that Iíll no longer have access to breakfast/lounges, but it always seemed like a bit of a fluke/temporary concession as part of the merger as Marriott hasnít been as aggressive as Hilton in bundling status with credit cards... even the Chase Ritz Carlton card only gave Gold for the first year and required (a fairly reasonable) 10k annual spend to renew it in subsequent years.
ptownca, IndyHoosier and shotb83 like this.
dw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 18, 4:48 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SEA, or BOS, or other places. What day is it?
Programs: DL DM/1MM, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, {HH, MR, SPG, IHG} Gold
Posts: 1,044
Starriott Gold is the new Silver. I think the late checkout (going from 4pm guaranteed to 2pm "based on availability") is the biggest devaluation for me, though breakfast is second.

This doesn't completely ruin the AXP value proposition for me, but it's significant. I'm losing the extra SPG points from Crossover Rewards ("will continue through July 15, 2018" almost certainly means "it's gone on July 16"), the Marriott and SPG late checkout benefit, and the Marriott breakfast benefit all of which were part of my calculations in moving from the DL Reserve Amex to the AXP.
CKDGM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 18, 5:06 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 733
Oh man, I read this to mean if you were SPG Gold/Marriott gold right now that would bump to Marriott Platinum after the change. Man, this card is getting killed lately. The AF bump and killing basically any benefits from Marriott/SPGs means you're paying a lot for not as much. I would guess at this point the super high end Hilton card (and possibly Marriott card if one is offered) would be the better bet since it offers a little more airline credit, a free night, and hotel status. The only real killer is the lounge access. Uber benefits, big deal, Hotel and Airlines are really where these high end cards play and the hotel side is taking a beating...
acarney is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 18, 6:11 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Programs: Delta - PM, SPG - GM, Hertz - PC
Posts: 99
SPG Status via Plat card

So what happens to my SPG Status (that reciprocated on Marriott gold) after the merger?
still status via AmEx?
Iím a Hilton traveler - but enjoy the occasional stay at Marriott for the lounge access as Gold member
LilRobb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 18, 6:28 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Charlottesville, Va. USA
Posts: 1,188
Thanks notquiteaff I have posted a different(although similar question) in the spg forum.
notquiteaff likes this.
jmj9905 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 18, 6:29 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NYC
Programs: DL DM; HZ PC; Natl Exec Elite; SPG; Amex Plat
Posts: 254
Originally Posted by CKDGM View Post
Starriott Gold is the new Silver. I think the late checkout (going from 4pm guaranteed to 2pm "based on availability") is the biggest devaluation for me, though breakfast is second.

This doesn't completely ruin the AXP value proposition for me, but it's significant. I'm losing the extra SPG points from Crossover Rewards ("will continue through July 15, 2018" almost certainly means "it's gone on July 16"), the Marriott and SPG late checkout benefit, and the Marriott breakfast benefit all of which were part of my calculations in moving from the DL Reserve Amex to the AXP.
I think you nailed it - SPG Gold never really got me much, but guaranteed 4 PM late checkout was great. 2PM "based on availability" is basically the same as you get if you just ask at the front desk as a non-elite. I never considered the Marriott free breakfast a sustainable perk, so that doesn't really bother me.

It rubs me the wrong way that they raised the price $100/y and yet offer less

Last edited by manacit; Apr 16, 18 at 6:42 pm
manacit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 18, 6:39 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 33,001
Originally Posted by Handcake View Post
One of the biggest benefits to me holding Amex Plat has been Marriott gold and getting lounge access and breakfast.
Originally Posted by Troopers View Post
Y'all know that Marriott Gold is not a published Amex Plat benefit, right? The benefit is SPG Gold, which for the past 18 months (or so) has matched to Marriott Gold.

The odds that Amex Plat will now grant Marriott Plat are (IMO) pretty much zero. I would expect you'll get "new" Marriott Gold, which equates to old SPG Gold. i.e., no breakfast.
IndyHoosier and manacit like this.
Kacee is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 18, 6:56 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 122
Originally Posted by acarney View Post
Oh man, I read this to mean if you were SPG Gold/Marriott gold right now that would bump to Marriott Platinum after the change. Man, this card is getting killed lately. The AF bump and killing basically any benefits from Marriott/SPGs means you're paying a lot for not as much. I would guess at this point the super high end Hilton card (and possibly Marriott card if one is offered) would be the better bet since it offers a little more airline credit, a free night, and hotel status. The only real killer is the lounge access. Uber benefits, big deal, Hotel and Airlines are really where these high end cards play and the hotel side is taking a beating...
i have to think amex isn't stupid and there has to be some more benefits coming for the personal plat. with the battle for premium co-brand hotel and airline cards i wonder how long amex will be able to keep the status' for plat before the chains start asking why they are selling that without any point purchases coming back. just a thought
Gasolin and manacit like this.
cplush is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread