Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Lists Eligible and Ineligible Airline Fee Transactions [General discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Revised terms for 2014:

Benefit is available to Consumer and Business Platinum Card® and Centurion® Members only. To receive statement credits of up to $200 a year toward incidental air travel fees, Card Member must enroll and choose a qualifying airline at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice. Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card Account can enroll and select the qualifying airline. Card Members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. Card Members who have already selected a qualifying airline will be able to change their choice one time each year in January at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of the Card. For 2014 only, Card Members may update their airline selection one additional time starting on 1/15/2014 through 2/28/2014 at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of the Card. Card Members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline. Statement Credits: Incidental air travel fees must be charged on the enrolled Card Account for the benefit to apply. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the enrolled Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $200 a year in statement credits across all Cards on the Account. Incidental air travel fees must be separate charges from airline ticket charges. Fees not charged by the Card Member's airline of choice (e.g. wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners) do not qualify for statement credits. Incidental air travel fees charged prior to enrollment in this benefit are not eligible for statement credits. Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees. The airline must submit the incidental air travel fees under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be identified. Please allow 2-4 weeks after the qualifying incidental air travel fee is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. We rely on airlines to submit the correct information on airline transactions, so please call the number on the back of the Card if statement credits have not posted after 4 weeks from the date of purchase. Card Members remain responsible for timely payment of all charges. To be eligible for this benefit, Card Account(s) must be active and not in default at the time of statement credit fulfillment. If a charge for any incidental air travel fee is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account (for example, Sign & Travel), the statement credit associated with that charge will not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit will be applied to your Pay In Full balance. For additional information about this benefit, call the number on the back of your Card.
Print Wikipost

Amex Lists Eligible and Ineligible Airline Fee Transactions [General discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by bradcc
Anyone knows how long it will take for the change of airline choice to be effective? I received an e-mail from Amex saying that the change request was received and processed right after. But does anyone know if there is a wait time before their system will recognize the new choice?
Early last year a rep told me it takes "up to 24 hours" to update an airline change in their system and not to expect same-day reimbursement. I waited to the next day to make an eligible purchase, and was credited fine. However, since charges don't post right away, I'm guessing an eligible purchase on the same day as an airline selection/change would be reimbursed without trouble.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:40 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Can I assume that ex-UK additional APD paid after-the-fact would be viewed either as ticket, taxes/fees, or upgrade and, technically, not eligible? I wonder if this looks like an airline change fee so that it would go under the radar.

Cheers.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:43 pm

Is there a valid link to change Airline Programs? I have one from an email blast Amex sent out a month ago but it doesn't work.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:05 am

Any way to check how much credit is remaining for this calendar year? What I really want to check is whether they charged some last minute purchases in 2012 to this year or last year.

Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2013, 2:38 pm

How on EARTH is in-flight internet not an "incidental" fee?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:51 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
American Express explains this in their terms:

Fees not charged by the Card member's airline of choice (e.g. wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners) do not qualify for statement credits.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
Isn't in flight Internet charged by gogo anyways? So wouldn't qualify for that reason alone.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
Originally Posted by igopogo
Any way to check how much credit is remaining for this calendar year? What I really want to check is whether they charged some last minute purchases in 2012 to this year or last year.

Thanks!
You can call, or load up a year to present statement and search for what the reimbursement is noted as.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 7:36 am

General question on AMEX $200 reimbursement

I neglected to choose my airline for the $200 AMEX reimbursement until AFTER I had charged legitimate reimburseable airline costs on the card. Will I get reimbursed after the fact for those expenditures?
Old Oct 12, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by upgrader
I neglected to choose my airline for the $200 AMEX reimbursement until AFTER I had charged legitimate reimburseable airline costs on the card. Will I get reimbursed after the fact for those expenditures?
No
Old Oct 12, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Originally Posted by upgrader
There was a post in one of the airline specific reimbursement threads (AA?) where someone called Amex after the fact and they were reimbursed. Can't hurt to try.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Post #935 in the AA reimbursement thread.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 7:52 am

Is the $200 reimbursement per calendar year? If I signup in the middle of the year, do I get $200+$200 reimbursement for $450 worth of annual fee?
Old Oct 13, 2013, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Is the $200 reimbursement per calendar year? If I signup in the middle of the year, do I get $200+$200 reimbursement for $450 worth of annual fee?
Yes.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Dicoverist
$200 Annual Travel Credit?

Just upgraded my MR Gold to Platinum and wanted to verify the terms. It is my understanding that this credit is every calendar year and that I can get $200 for the remainder of this year and another $200 for next year.

Have I got this right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.