Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Lists Eligible and Ineligible Airline Fee Transactions [General discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Revised terms for 2014:

Benefit is available to Consumer and Business Platinum Card® and Centurion® Members only. To receive statement credits of up to $200 a year toward incidental air travel fees, Card Member must enroll and choose a qualifying airline at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice. Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card Account can enroll and select the qualifying airline. Card Members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. Card Members who have already selected a qualifying airline will be able to change their choice one time each year in January at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of the Card. For 2014 only, Card Members may update their airline selection one additional time starting on 1/15/2014 through 2/28/2014 at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of the Card. Card Members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline. Statement Credits: Incidental air travel fees must be charged on the enrolled Card Account for the benefit to apply. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the enrolled Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $200 a year in statement credits across all Cards on the Account. Incidental air travel fees must be separate charges from airline ticket charges. Fees not charged by the Card Member's airline of choice (e.g. wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners) do not qualify for statement credits. Incidental air travel fees charged prior to enrollment in this benefit are not eligible for statement credits. Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees. The airline must submit the incidental air travel fees under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be identified. Please allow 2-4 weeks after the qualifying incidental air travel fee is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. We rely on airlines to submit the correct information on airline transactions, so please call the number on the back of the Card if statement credits have not posted after 4 weeks from the date of purchase. Card Members remain responsible for timely payment of all charges. To be eligible for this benefit, Card Account(s) must be active and not in default at the time of statement credit fulfillment. If a charge for any incidental air travel fee is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account (for example, Sign & Travel), the statement credit associated with that charge will not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit will be applied to your Pay In Full balance. For additional information about this benefit, call the number on the back of your Card.
Print Wikipost

Amex Lists Eligible and Ineligible Airline Fee Transactions [General discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:10 am

Yep, but keep in mind it's only for things like upgrades and food, not for the actual purchase price of a ticket.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Diamond
You may have success on purchasing a gift card for the airline however. I use mine for United and have been credited each time. You may want to check out the threads for your airline of choice.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by FlyingCOS
You may have success on purchasing a gift card for the airline however. I use mine for United and have been credited each time. You may want to check out the threads for your airline of choice.
You also have to call customer service and elect the airline you want charges credited for
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by rkb2530
Just upgraded my MR Gold to Platinum and wanted to verify the terms. It is my understanding that this credit is every calendar year and that I can get $200 for the remainder of this year and another $200 for next year.
Did you get 50k sign up bonus for upgrading?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Dicoverist
Originally Posted by Cana2013
Only got 30K, didn't know 50K was an option.

Thanks for all the comments and confirmation.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Southwest CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Yes, I just used my $200 for a united GC and was comped 3 days later and will do the same in January. I'd also like to hear more about the 50k upgrade.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Cana2013
I'll assume Cana2013 is asking about CANADIAN AMEX Platinum (usual offer of 50K AMEX MR, or 60K via referral)....while the OP is probably USA-based (location says Illnois)

So USA AMEX cardholders can probably ignore that 50K comment
Canadian AMEX Platinum is $699/year, with $200 credit to use on all travel expenses via AMEX Travel service, and full Priority Pass (1 guest free)

I could be wrong though, if AMEX USA does offer 50K AMEX MR
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FPC Platinum, SPG/Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, BW Diamond Select
Originally Posted by theanswriz42
Yep, but keep in mind it's only for things like upgrades and food, not for the actual purchase price of a ticket.
Not my experience.

Booked a flight through Amex Travel on US Airways for YYC-PHX. $248 was processed to the card with the $200 credit following soon thereafter.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Shenanigans
Not my experience.

Booked a flight through Amex Travel on US Airways for YYC-PHX. $248 was processed to the card with the $200 credit following soon thereafter.
Let OP clarify whether he's USA or CANADA AMEX Platinum first then

USA $200 is for Airline-related charges only

CANADA $200 is for ALL TRAVEL charges, but only via AMEX PTS instead
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Dicoverist
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Let OP clarify whether he's USA or CANADA AMEX Platinum first then
USA, not sure how I got mixed in with the great white north.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by rkb2530
USA, not sure how I got mixed in with the great white north.
because some people just reply stuff to anything, and Canadians will assume AMEX Canada first, while US residents will assume AMEX USA

Either way, I hope you found your answers
Old Dec 30, 2013, 9:54 pm

Amex $200 credit

I signed up last January and I never assigned my airline for the credit. I need to do this in the next couple days and take advantage of it and was hoping to get some ideas of the best use.
Sorry I know this subject is discussed a lot on here but I don't have a lot of time to research and don't want to waste it. Is there any gift cards or anything I can buy that can be used towards flights?

Any recommendations of how to best use the $200 credit

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by sidar
I signed up last January and I never assigned my airline for the credit. I need to do this in the next couple days and take advantage of it and was hoping to get some ideas of the best use.
Sorry I know this subject is discussed a lot on here but I don't have a lot of time to research and don't want to waste it. Is there any gift cards or anything I can buy that can be used towards flights?

Any recommendations of how to best use the $200 credit

Thanks in advance
There are pages discussing each airline and what is possible with each one. There are a few on the 1st page of this forum and the rest within the past few pages. You actually have 1 day left so you may wanna hurry
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:03 pm

thats why I am asking here instead of reading a ton of pages. I want current info and I know these things change.
I remember when I got the card people were using it to buy $200 in AA gift cards. Is this still possible and can those AA gift cards be used towards flights?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:10 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by sidar
thats why I am asking here instead of reading a ton of pages. I want current info and I know these things change.
I remember when I got the card people were using it to buy $200 in AA gift cards. Is this still possible and can those AA gift cards be used towards flights?
so you're basically saying you're too lazy to search for yourself and want us to spoon feed you? Nope, not me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.