Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Lists Eligible and Ineligible Airline Fee Transactions [General discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Revised terms for 2014:

Benefit is available to Consumer and Business Platinum Card® and Centurion® Members only. To receive statement credits of up to $200 a year toward incidental air travel fees, Card Member must enroll and choose a qualifying airline at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice. Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card Account can enroll and select the qualifying airline. Card Members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. Card Members who have already selected a qualifying airline will be able to change their choice one time each year in January at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of the Card. For 2014 only, Card Members may update their airline selection one additional time starting on 1/15/2014 through 2/28/2014 at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of the Card. Card Members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline. Statement Credits: Incidental air travel fees must be charged on the enrolled Card Account for the benefit to apply. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the enrolled Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $200 a year in statement credits across all Cards on the Account. Incidental air travel fees must be separate charges from airline ticket charges. Fees not charged by the Card Member's airline of choice (e.g. wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners) do not qualify for statement credits. Incidental air travel fees charged prior to enrollment in this benefit are not eligible for statement credits. Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees. The airline must submit the incidental air travel fees under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be identified. Please allow 2-4 weeks after the qualifying incidental air travel fee is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. We rely on airlines to submit the correct information on airline transactions, so please call the number on the back of the Card if statement credits have not posted after 4 weeks from the date of purchase. Card Members remain responsible for timely payment of all charges. To be eligible for this benefit, Card Account(s) must be active and not in default at the time of statement credit fulfillment. If a charge for any incidental air travel fee is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account (for example, Sign & Travel), the statement credit associated with that charge will not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit will be applied to your Pay In Full balance. For additional information about this benefit, call the number on the back of your Card.
Print Wikipost

Amex Lists Eligible and Ineligible Airline Fee Transactions [General discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:11 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Any recent experience in terms of how long reimbursements take to hit your statement?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:47 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SFTNYC
Any recent experience in terms of how long reimbursements take to hit your statement?
We have a separate thread for redemption experiences with each qualifying airline. Tell me which airline, and I will direct you to the thread to read reports, but (in general) the time ranges from two days to two weeks.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Not sure if this has been asked before, but I was just approved this week for the 100k Business Platinum and it's out for delivery today. I know I should be able to get a $200 airline credit yet in 2014, and then another in 2015. Any chance it'd be possible to get a 3rd credit in January, 2016 before I cancel...??
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:25 am
mia
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dajoip
... Any chance it'd be possible to get a 3rd credit in January, 2016 before I cancel...??
Assuming the benefit is renewed in its current form for 2016, you should be able to make a reimbursable expense in early January, likely after the annual fee has been billed, but before it would be due for payment. However, it's difficult to say if the reimbursements would post before the due date. You should plan on paying the fee, and then cancelling with a refund.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:13 pm

Best time to apply to receive $200 Credit

Hi there,
Hoping someone can help me with this question.

I'd like to apply for the Amex Platinum Card and would like to take advantage of the $200 airline fee credit offer. Since this $200 airline fee credit is given annually based on calendar year, I want to take advantage of it this year and next year before the next year's annual fee is due.

If I apply now (1/21/15) and get approved today, would it be considered that my account is opened Jan. 2015 and next year's annual fee will be due Jan. 2016? If this is the case, then I will not be able to get another $200 credit before the annual fee is billed. or shall I wait until February to apply?

Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:26 pm
mia
Original Poster

If you apply now the annual fee will be billed on the last day of the first billing cycle, sometime in February, and again on approximately the same date in 2016. See this short thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-fee-post.html
Old Apr 5, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
This Visa article references that they've recently instituted more detailed reporting of ancillary fees from airline purchases with explicit categories like Wifi, Seat Upgrades, Baggage, etc. I wonder if American Express has something similar up their sleeve soon to make it harder to use the credit for gift cards, etc.

http://visacorporate.tumblr.com/post...aborate-on-new
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:55 pm

Can you use the reimbursement for centurion lounge access?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:58 am
mia
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xinfamousxi
Can you use the reimbursement for centurion lounge access?
No. This benefit only reimburses airline fees. The Centurion lounges are not operated by an airline. (If you have a Platinum Card there is nothing to reimburse, because there is no cost to enter a Centurion lounge.)
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL, Hyatt, National
I'm sure its been posted before, but just some experience.

Bought a flight for $212 round trip. Decided to pay with miles to get it below $200.

It shows up on my statement as "additional collection" and two days later refunded.
Old May 13, 2015, 5:24 pm
mia
Original Poster

Moderator action

Question about using AA gift cards has been moved to the AA thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-aa-only.html
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Just got the card and have a question about reimbursement.

Do I have to designate an airline or will it reimburse appropriate charges from any airline?
Thanks
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by pkerr
Just got the card and have a question about reimbursement.

Do I have to designate an airline or will it reimburse appropriate charges from any airline?
Thanks
you have to designate an airline.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by joscofra
you have to designate an airline.
You are quick!
i was just about to edit to say I found the answer.
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.