Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer AMEX Points

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2012, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Pres. Circle, HHonors Diamond
Transfer AMEX Points

I'm deciding on going with the AMEX Platinum Card and have some questions regarding transferring points. If I decide to downgrade the card (Gold or Green), will my points be carried over? I will probably apply for a Gold/Green and transfer the points over. Are all the MR points transferred over 1:1 ratio? I know by being Platinum, you get a 25% bonus on travel redemption.

Since this card is probably more useful for redeeming for travel, I'm more concerned that the points are all carried over if I do go with Platinum and change my mind later on.

Thanks.
Old May 21, 2012, 2:43 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gk17
... If I decide to downgrade the card (Gold or Green), will my points be carried over?
There is no need to "transfer", your new card will be linked to the same Membership Rewards account. If you "downgrade" this will happen automatically. However, if you submit a new application for the Green or Gold card do not cancel the Platinum card until the new card is activated and you have verified that it is linked to the same rewards account.
Old May 21, 2012, 2:43 pm

There is no such thing as transferring Amex Membership Rewards points within Amex. Your membership rewards account is separate from your card account. So long as you have one MR earning card active, open, and linked to your MR account, your point balance will remain. So, if you want to cancel a card, just make sure you have another MR linked card open.

Mia is the expert here, but I believe the the transfer options for Membership Rewards points to airlines and other travel partners are the same, regardless of whether you have green, gold or plat. The key differences in the cards are in how you earn points. Although you've noted one significant exception -- the 25 percent bonus on using pay with points if you have the plat card.
Old May 21, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by mia
There is no need to "transfer", your new card will be linked to the same Membership Rewards account. If you "downgrade" this will happen automatically. However, if you submit a new application for the Green or Gold card do not cancel the Platinum card until the new card is activated and you have verified that it is linked to the same rewards account.
Yes but remember if you have a MR account open alot of the new sign in bomuses will be non eligable.
Old May 21, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
This thread may be helpful - there are some pearls here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...nnual-fee.html
Old May 21, 2012, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I have had no difficulty getting signup bonuses with cards already open. There may be some out there for "first-time Amex card holders" but I haven't had any issues.

You will have problems if you downgrade eventually to a Blue card, but not Gold or Green. You keep the points and they are still transferrable.
Old May 22, 2012, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies and also for the link GetawaysRus. Right now the plan is to go with AMEX Platinum if my company approves since I want to have access to the lounges and other perks. My thought is to downgrade if I don't need all those benefits anymore to maybe the Blue card which will be MR Express points. If I decide to upgrade again to Platinum, those points will be MR Standard/First. The thread answered this question so I think I'm good now.

Never had an AMEX card before so I didn't know it was just one account linked with additional credit/charge cards. Good to know.

One more question. Is MR "Standard" the same as "First"? I saw this mentioned in the other thread: MR Express, Standard and First.
Old May 22, 2012, 10:38 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gk17
Is MR "Standard" the same as "First"? I saw this mentioned in the other thread: MR Express, Standard and First.
See post 92 of this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18390948-post92.html
Old May 22, 2012, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Right in front of me LOL I was probably at that site for at least a few times but didn't catch it. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.