MR earning cards with no annual fee?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2012, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: many
MR earning cards with no annual fee?

Hello All,
Sorry if I missed this.

Are there any other MR point earning cards without annual fee?
If so, can either a PRG or Plat card can be converted over one?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 3:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There is no fee-free card which participates in full Membership Rewards. The closest is Blue which is free but participates in Membership Rewards Express. Express points cannot be transferred to any airline or hotel program, and they have half-value for Pay with Points redemption. However, if you still hold a Green, Gold, Platinum or Centurion cards plus a Blue card the points earned with the Blue card will be treated as if they were earned by the more expensive card.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: many
Originally Posted by mia
There is no fee-free card which participates in full Membership Rewards. The closest is Blue which is free but participates in Membership Rewards Express. Express points cannot be transferred to any airline or hotel program, and they have half-value for Pay with Points redemption. However, if you still hold a Green, Gold, Platinum or Centurion cards plus a Blue card the points earned with the Blue card will be treated as if they were earned by the more expensive card.
Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
Originally Posted by mia
So, would this strategy work?

1) Downgrade Amex Gold PRG to a Blue card when annual fee is due.
2) Sometime later, open a different, new, true MR earning card (either first year fee waived or paid).
3) Transfer MR points to full MR card opened in #2.

Would the MR points them be available as full-value MR points?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MJLouise
So, would this strategy work?

1) Downgrade Amex Gold PRG to a Blue card when annual fee is due.
2) Sometime later, open a different, new, true MR earning card (either first year fee waived or paid).

Would the MR points them be available as full-value MR points?
Yes. I had just the Amex Blue for awhile. My MR points earned under Blue became full MR points when I opened up my Amex Plat.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by MJLouise
As a point of order, you don't "transfer" MR points from one card to another. The MR account has its own number and exists independent of any card accounts you have linked to it, although you must have at least one active MR-earning card linked to it in order for it to remain active. If none of the linked cards are eligible for regular MR, then the MR account will degrade to an MR Express account. If at some point in the future a full-value MR card account is linked to the MR account, then the MR account gets promoted back to a regular one that allows transfer to airline or hotel programs, including all existing points. But there is no notion of "transferring" MR points from one account or card to another.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Fee-free MR Amex card?

Is there a card that doesn't have a fee that will allow me to keep my MR points? I currently have two Gold cards (Premier and OPEN business card) and I'm planning to close them both when the annual fee becomes due, but I just recently learned that if you close all cards then MR points vanish. Is there a card I can get with no fee that will either earn me MR points and will keep my account active or at least let me freeze or maintain my points?
Thanks for any feedback.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond
personal card--Blue
business card--Platinum Business credit card; not to be confused with the Business Platinum charge card

Both participate with MR Express, and have $0 annual fee.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 5:54 pm
mia

Originally Posted by budblab
business card--Platinum Business credit card; not to be confused with the Business Platinum charge card.
There is also Blue for Business discussed in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...iness-usa.html

...it's important to understand that any of these cards will preserve the points balance, but the points will not be transferable to any airline or hotel program. You will need to hold a Green, Gold, Platinum or Centurion card to have access to transfers, and none of those are free after the first year, although you may be able to negotiate a retention bonus.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
I thought you have one month to transfer your MR points after cancelling the card
Old Feb 5, 2012, 6:57 pm
mia

Moderator action

mromero07's question has been merged into identical thread from mid-January. Reviewing previous posts will answer basic questions.

Another thread addresses kyunbit's question:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...last-card.html
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:03 am

any choice to conver the platinum card to some non-anual-fee card?

any suggestions?
Old Feb 18, 2012, 5:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by flyertea
any suggestions?
Are you trying to keep your MR points alive or do you want to just keep your credit line with Amex alive?
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Are you trying to keep your MR points alive or do you want to just keep your credit line with Amex alive?
I have the blue card, so i think the mr points will be alive after the closing of PLatinum card,
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:36 pm
mia

Moderator action

flyertea's question has been merged into a previous discussion of this topic. Blue from Amerucan Express is the only fee-free USA personal card linked to Membership Rewards. It will preserve the points earned with the Platinum card, but they will become Express points which cannot be transferred to any airline or hotel program (see preceding posts).

Why do you want to convert rather than apply for another card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.