Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is It Me, Or Does The Amex Website Suck?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
Is It Me, Or Does The Amex Website Suck?

Is it just me, or does the American Express website totally suck? This is a major financial corporation, and the interface is totally inadequate. My issues:

1. Membership Rewards Points. I have no idea where my bonus points are, when they post, if I am even getting them from my bonus points mall purchases, and so on. It would be nice if they showed detailed info like the 1,200 points I get from a $300 purchase at jcrew.com through bonus points mall are available.

2. The personal credit information never seems to work and looks like it leads to the AMEX website circa 1999. Check spending ability? Not sure if the website even does anything for me. Update financial information, not sure if what I enter even registers.

3. My gf (foolishly) pays for Credit Secure. Since they changed the website in the last week or so, I have no idea where to easily find it.

4. The travel website sucks. R/t airfare to Moscow from Detroit on Delta through Orbitz = $600/ticket. On the American Express travel site, the same ticket is $1,100--gee I can't wait to book through AMEX for double points.

And so on. Am I the only one perpetually frustrated by this site?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
I agree about how hard it is to find credit secure.

However for checking balances and such, I find amex's site to be very simple/easy to use. Also, for checking recent declines I find it useful (i can't find that on ANY of my other credit cards websites...that's right, not one easily shows me all the recent declines).

I do wish that AMEX would show pending charges somewhere on their site (or do they and I jus don't know where?)
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:41 pm

I probably have used 6-7 different websites for credit cards. I actually think american express has the best one, albeit it can have improvements of course. Payment date is clear, exchanges are clear, charges have detail, etc. Membership rewards can be faster but everything is pretty easy, some credit cards make you log in completely separately! But I definitely find it better than most.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by jenssales
I probably have used 6-7 different websites for credit cards. I actually think american express has the best one, albeit it can have improvements of course. Payment date is clear, exchanges are clear, charges have detail, etc. Membership rewards can be faster but everything is pretty easy, some credit cards make you log in completely separately! But I definitely find it better than most.
While I think the AmEx website can use some minor improvements (e.g., better website performance, MR details), I agree that it is better than most other card issuer websites.

The feature I like the most is the ability to download a year's worth of transactions with extended details (i.e., primary/additional account, reference, address, merchant category, etc.) directly into Excel. ^

Some issuers will not even provide a year-end summary or only provide a scanned (non-searchable) copy.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by WBOTM
While I think the AmEx website can use some minor improvements (e.g., better website performance, MR details), I agree that it is better than most other card issuer websites.

The feature I like the most is the ability to download a year's worth of transactions with extended details (i.e., primary/additional account, reference, address, merchant category, etc.) directly into Excel. ^

Some issuers will not even provide a year-end summary or only provide a scanned (non-searchable) copy.
great point. Not even about a year end summary. You can choose the date range you want, look at graphs, look at summaries, download to a spreadsheet. Not trying to say this is the best ever but definitely have had frustrations over other sites and definitely have thought..why couldn't they be like the amex website!
Old Apr 14, 2010, 6:35 am

I've always liked the online account portion of AMEX.com.

So it seems, to answer your question, as though perhaps it is just you!
Old Apr 14, 2010, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
Well, I agree. It is easy to see charges, look up previous statements, find charges by a date range etc. I guess Membership Rewards is my gripe--I have no idea if I am ever getting all the points I should be getting. Pending charges would be nice to see.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 3:58 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, CX DM, DL Gold, HHonors Gold, AA Plat
Yeah I agree in regards to the MR as well.

As far as the rest of the site, in my opinion it exceeds every other card issuer I have encountered (Chase, Citi, FIA, etc).

Oh yea, the FHR site could be a bit quicker. There's no need for all the animation.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 6:10 pm

I got a survey last week that seemed skewed pretty strongly about the usefulness of the website, and potential feature additions. I let them have it...
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:17 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
I completely agree, the worst website next to the old Schwab site (which is really the worst, but its old so its OK plus card is better)

AMEX is really clunky (try using it from a poor internet connection or from dial up) forget it and the onlline secure email all I can say is AGGGGGH!

Oh and MR yet that really bad too...

even little US Bank is better

Originally Posted by andrewpartyman
Is it just me, or does the American Express website totally suck? This is a major financial corporation, and the interface is totally inadequate. My issues:

1. Membership Rewards Points. I have no idea where my bonus points are, when they post, if I am even getting them from my bonus points mall purchases, and so on. It would be nice if they showed detailed info like the 1,200 points I get from a $300 purchase at jcrew.com through bonus points mall are available.

2. The personal credit information never seems to work and looks like it leads to the AMEX website circa 1999. Check spending ability? Not sure if the website even does anything for me. Update financial information, not sure if what I enter even registers.

3. My gf (foolishly) pays for Credit Secure. Since they changed the website in the last week or so, I have no idea where to easily find it.

4. The travel website sucks. R/t airfare to Moscow from Detroit on Delta through Orbitz = $600/ticket. On the American Express travel site, the same ticket is $1,100--gee I can't wait to book through AMEX for double points.

And so on. Am I the only one perpetually frustrated by this site?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:54 pm

Programs: SW Gold, DL Siver, CO Silver
FHR website

worst technology ever. period. Almost as bad as the reps at PTS.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:05 am

Programs: BA GfL
I am OK with most of AmEx's online functions except the MR part, which is absolutely infuriating. It is by far the weakest link in an otherwise pretty good experience, and never fails to drive me nuts when I try to figure out what points have posted and why. It is truly lame.

About ten days ago I got an e-mail *and* a letter from Amex saying "Congratulations, you've earned the 15,000 points from your Premier Gold Rewards promotion! The points are in your account." Needless to say, there was no 15,000 point addition in my account, and when I called to chase them down, the CSRs (including a supervisor) said they couldn't find them, they had no idea why I had gotten the e-mail and letter, and "that's done by the Marketing Department. We don't know why you got it." The first CSR actually went so far as to tell me I should fax her the letter I'd received from AmEx itself! (At which point I blew a gasket and escalated the call to a supervisor.)

Still don't have the points, but according to the supervisor, they should post after my April statement is printed. We shall see. I'm sure the reason for the posting that appears on the website will say something illuminating like "null."
Old May 22, 2012, 3:05 pm

American Express web site sucks

For a huge company, their web site is ridiculous.

Last edited by CommProjSeniors; May 22, 2012 at 3:07 pm Reason: typo
Old May 22, 2012, 3:18 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by CommProjSeniors
... ridiculous.
Welcome to Flyertalk. Please explain the specific problems that you are experiencing. A blanket condemnation isn't useful.
Old May 22, 2012, 5:57 pm

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
AMEX Web site (2012 Version) is decent

The web site changed earlier this year, so some of the pre-2011 comments in this thread may apply to the older version of the web site, not the current one.

I find it to be a decent web site (and the previous one was good too.) I happen to like the tags and the automatic rules you can assigned. MR point information details are a little buried, but I can't get any details out of chase UR, just a total of bonus categories, leading to "Did that last item post and I did I get bonus points for it?" type of thoughts. The MR points posting seems to be a procedural function (1 month behind) rather than a web site issue, although I supposed they could add the expected points-to-post in the transaction detail to make it more clear what you'll get when you get it.

There's a lack of Flash, animation and other web bloat which is always a welcome plus.

All other things equal, I'm more inclined to pull out the AMEX over other cards, because of the website & tagging, reporting and transaction detail download features. Chase offers some analysis in Blueprint, but it's their rules, not mine, so when the merchant is not correctly categorized I can't 'fix it' on Chase.

Is it perfect? No, but no web site is. I can deal with the few things that aren't completely to my taste.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.