Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:40 pm
fMD

$100 GC using Aspire on 6/15. Ticker is showing $150 left, no credit yet.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by jackthedog
Apologies if this is off topic, also I tried searching but couldn't get the result I was looking for, has anyone had any luck with Early Bird purchases crediting recently with the Aspire?
yep, I purchased 6/10 2 charges of $25 and was credited 6/15
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:06 pm

Purchased 6/10 GC worth $150. No Credit as of today. The transaction shows Ticket Number with nothing else.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:09 am

I'm hoping this is just some kind of bulk processing hangup. It seems like most of the ones that aren't posting are Platinum Business cards?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Nirvana91
It's actually from the screenshot from post #1824 above. That purchase was June 3rd for $125, and the credit posted June 6th. The purchase for $125 that is NOT credited is from June 9th.
Both GCs were purchased the same way otherwise (for example, not while on a mobile device)?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by 808traveler
Both GCs were purchased the same way otherwise (for example, not while on a mobile device)?
In my case everything was the same. Same computer, same browser, not logged into WN account. $125 each time. I waited for the first credit to process successfully and then did the second one a few days after that.
I'm hoping this is just some kind of bulk processing hangup. It seems like most of the ones that aren't posting are Platinum Business cards?
In my case it is the Hilton Aspire card.

Right now if I had to guess, it seems that transactions OVER $100 are not crediting but transactions up to and including $100 seem fine. That's just my guess though.
808traveler likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:49 am

OK so I am now at 11 days post-purchase of my $125 GC that has not credited (nor moved the meter). I have nothing indicating that this will ever credit for me, I guess this is part of the game we play. I think that at this point we may be in a scenario where:
  1. This is just a temporary glitch
  2. Only $100 or less counts; OR
  3. The whole thing is dead for GCs
I definitely hope it's #1 or #2 , but would certainly welcome additional folks posting their success or failure.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:00 am

OK so I am now at 11 days post-purchase of my $125 GC that has not credited (nor moved the meter). I have nothing indicating that this will ever credit for me, I guess this is part of the game we play. I think that at this point we may be in a scenario where:
  1. This is just a temporary glitch
  2. Only $100 or less counts; OR
  3. The whole thing is dead for GCs
I definitely hope it's #1 or #2 , but would certainly welcome additional folks posting their success or failure.
somebody on DoC stated they got their $200 GC from WN reimbursed a few days ago. Unfortunately they didn't give much other info, and I find it odd that they're the one positive DP, when all we're seeing are failures at GCs >$100 here.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:48 am

OK so I am now at 11 days post-purchase of my $125 GC that has not credited (nor moved the meter). I have nothing indicating that this will ever credit for me, I guess this is part of the game we play. I think that at this point we may be in a scenario where.
I think we are out of luck. If the transaction is without the document type: SPD/AIR FREIGHT, we are not going to get the credit.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:05 pm

6/17: Purchased $50 SWA egc to test out my new Platinum
6/20: Posted as SPD/AIR FREIGHT
No movement in benefits bar or credit yet.

I have an Amex gold and got the $100 like three months ago no problem. I can't remember how long it took the credit to post. Any thoughts on how long?

If this route stops working I don't know what I do. Split my time between two UA and WN hubs.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by chrispytoast123
6/17: Purchased $50 SWA egc to test out my new Platinum
6/20: Posted as SPD/AIR FREIGHT
No movement in benefits bar or credit yet.

I have an Amex gold and got the $100 like three months ago no problem. I can't remember how long it took the credit to post. Any thoughts on how long?

If this route stops working I don't know what I do. Split my time between two UA and WN hubs.
I would give it s few more days. I know it's a very uncertain time right now with mixed dp but my valid charge for ebci didnt credit for close to 5 days after I ran the charge.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by fMD
$100 GC using Aspire on 6/15. Ticker is showing $150 left, no credit yet.
Any update? I just got aspire and before buying this wanted to check.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:31 pm

Wish I would have seen this thread earlier. Today I set Southwest as my airline and bought a $100 GC about 30 minutes later on my new AMEX Platinum. Fingers crossed that it works, not sure how likely that is based on the comments here, but I will keep y'all updated.

Glad I didn't do $200 at once.

Has anyone had luck reaching out to AMEX and asking for the credit? I feel like to do this, you would have to buy in smaller increments. $100 or $50 probably will not look like a checked baggage fee to AMEX. How much does Southwest charge and how can you make your GC purchase look like a checked baggage fee just to be safe? You would need to add tax as well right?

Last edited by dezcutit; Jun 20, 2019 at 9:37 pm
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG SA
Originally Posted by dezcutit
Wish I would have seen this thread earlier. Today I set Southwest as my airline and bought a $100 GC about 30 minutes later on my new AMEX Platinum. Fingers crossed that it works, not sure how likely that is based on the comments here, but I will keep y'all updated.

Glad I didn't do $200 at once.

Has anyone had luck reaching out to AMEX and asking for the credit? I feel like to do this, you would have to buy in smaller increments. $100 or $50 probably will not look like a checked baggage fee to AMEX. How much does Southwest charge and how can you make your GC purchase look like a checked baggage fee just to be safe? You would need to add tax as well right?
If I am right, a well known rule is Never call.
808traveler likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by dezcutit
Don't call for something like this. Gift cards aren't an allowable use of the credit to begin with, so calling to ask why it's not working would be a very bad idea.

Southwest offers 2 free bags, so pretty much the only other things that would work according to the rules would be drinks, wi-fi, Early Bird check in. All of which cost between $10-$25 dollars. There may be some I'm missing
dagangwood and 808traveler like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.