Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by MikeekiM
Based on what your statement shows, and what the website shows (that you have $200 in credits available through Dec 2018), I agree that you should be good to go...

It assumes that the website balance graphic is updated in near realtime and that it is accurately reflecting your 2018 remaining balance. I have found that sometimes these charts are not realtime reflections and are only updated on some regular schedule (like a nightly scheduled job).

I hope that this is accurate because it means that the credit is based on the transaction date and not the credit date (just for future reference).
yep, based on transaction date when i chatted with an agent, who put on hold to re-verify. for mine, recd a prg on 29th & selected sw around 3 pm; bought a $100 e-gc around 10 pm; $100 credit posted on 31st
for future ref, any way to get a acct # after the appl was approved? still not sure as was told by an agent in new acct dept that he had no access to an instant acct # or amex no longer provided immediately after...

Last edited by danhouston; Jan 2, 2018 at 11:55 am
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:58 pm

I got my instant account number right after the website approved my application. It said that I only had three minutes to write it down and that it was impossible to get the account number after those three minutes other than waiting on the card to arrive.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll check back in a few days to see if that graphic updates. I'm glad it seems to have been based on transaction date and not reward date.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by joeluk44
I got my instant account number right after the website approved my application. It said that I only had three minutes to write it down and that it was impossible to get the account number after those three minutes other than waiting on the card to arrive.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll check back in a few days to see if that graphic updates. I'm glad it seems to have been based on transaction date and not reward date.
about appl, mine wasn't instantly approved; had to call in for ver. to be approved
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:36 am

Datapoint:

Amex PRG -
1/1 - Changed airline to Southwest
1/1 - within a few hours of receiving the confirmation email of the airline change, i purchased a $100 gift card
1/3 - Transaction posted
1/4 - $100 Credit posted
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by joeluk44
Can anyone please tell me how I can tell if I got my credit on time for 2017?

I was approved for the card 12/29, selected Southwest as the airline, waited until the next day for gift cards since this post suggested doing that.

Here's what my online statement looks like:
Jan 01 AMEX AIRLINE FEE REIMBURSEMENT -$100.00
Jan 01 AMEX AIRLINE FEE REIMBURSEMENT -$100.00
Dec 30 SOUTHWEST AIRLINES DALLAS TX $100.00
Dec 30 SOUTHWEST AIRLINES DALLAS TX $100.00

On the benefits page, in the section for the credit, it looks like this :

Would that graph normally show a declining amount as it used? If my credits were used in 2018, would this chart say $0 today or at some point when it updates? Sorry, this card is new for me and these didn't post in time for the graph to update for 2017 if it does actually update.
Just a quick update, my benefits graphic still says I have $200 available for 2018. Even though my credit posted in 2018, it appears it is correct that the dollar amount is based on the transaction date.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Does AMEX cover Southwest Wi-Fi on board under the $200 credit?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:55 am

Bought two separate $100 GCs (10 minutes apart)
Jan 01 (2018) SOUTHWEST AIRLINES DALLAS TX $100.00
Jan 01 (2018) SOUTHWEST AIRLINES DALLAS TX $100.00

Statement credit applied 2 days later
Jan 03 (2018) AMEX AIRLINE FEE REIMBURSEMENT -$100.00
Jan 03 (2018) AMEX AIRLINE FEE REIMBURSEMENT -$100.00
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by woodford02A
I think the answer is going to depend on whether the charge is from Southwest or from a 3rd party provider.

It clearly is an airline incidental charge... So as long as the charge comes up as "Southwest", you should be good. Even if the credit is not automatically applied, I think you'd have good grounds to call them and request the credit... But if the charge appears as "Joe's Airline Internet Service", then I think you might be SOL.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: MR, UR, UA
Here with some positive DP's to share:

2x Plat + 1x PRG:
Jan 1 2018: changed airline selection to WN around 5am ET
Jan 1 2018: bought 2x$200+1x$100 eGC right away, minutes apart
Jan 3 2018: purchases posted, dated Jan 1
Jan 4 2018: credited, dated Jan 3
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:24 am

Triple dipping my Amex Plat before closing it next week. Jan. 1 at 9 am changed airline from United to Southwest. Jan. 2 at 3 pm purchased two $100 SW e Gift cards in separate transactions. Jan. 4 charges cleared my Amex. Jan. 5 received two $100 credits.

Now for one final Uber Eats credit and then sayanora Amex Plat.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by woodford02A
I was curious about this as well. After a quick Google search turned up nothing, I decided to reach out to Southwest's amazing social media team on Twitter. They said the credit card charge will code as follows...

SWA INFLIGHT WIFI $8.00

May not auto-credit with Amex but at least it codes well enough that you should be able to call in and have them apply it manually. There's definitely no denying its a Southwest charge.

Here's the full reply from @SouthwestAir...
Originally Posted by Southwest Twitter
Okay Coach, thanks for your patience. On your statement, (I just got an actual statement from my Marketing folks) it should read: SWA INFLIGHT WIFI $8.00. Does that help? ^SO
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by HockeyCoachBen
SWA INFLIGHT WIFI $8.00
This indicated that they have created a separate merchant account for these charges, just as Alaska Airlines (?) did for gift card sales. That should preclude automated reimbursement.

Then there is this language in the terms which uses in-flight WiFi as an example of an ineligible expense:

Fees not charged by the Card Member's airline of choice (e.g. wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners) do not qualify for statement credits.
HockeyCoachBen likes this.

Last edited by mia; Jan 5, 2018 at 11:43 am
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Then there is this language in the terms which uses in-flight WiFi as an example of an ineligible expense:
Darn! I actually search the Amex site to find any such language and didn't see that at all.

I guess on my next WN flight, I'll be the guinea pig and buy the WiFi on my Platinum card to see what happens. Its only an $8 "loss" if it doesn't work out.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:14 pm

This just seems wrong... How can a charge that appears like "SWA INFLIGHT WIFI $8.00" not be considered a Southwest incidental charge???

<sigh>... Just seems like it is near impossible to legitimately accrue $200 in incidentals based on examples like this...
HockeyCoachBen likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:44 am

My wife has both personal Premier and Plus cards. Application date was 10/1/17. Statement date is the 1st of each month. One of the cards completed $2k spend on 12/27 and the 60k points are coming. The other card completed spend on 12/31 with multiple grocery and restaurant purchases at night (but before midnight Eastern time). Statement for 1/1 closed and one supermarket charge ($90ish) didn't make the cut. Transaction activity history shows transaction on 12/31 but posted on 1/2/18. Obviously she didn't get the 60k on this statement and that's fine; should she expect a problem due to the 1/2/18 post date? (3 month mark is 1/1/18) Basically, does the transaction date or post date matter more for these deadlines?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.