FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1300461-airline-fee-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2011-2015-a.html)

crimson12 Sep 2, 2011 10:15 am

Originally Posted by NavyUCF (Post 17041994)
I haven't called AMEX, but my guess is that 4 X $60 would be, of coure, over $200 max, so the company did not reimburse the fourth transaction. (Incidentally, I think I had spent about $15 on a Delta flight in terms of meals.)

Right. I'm wondering, like if you spent $210 on food on the DL flight (God that would be awful), would they reimburse up to $200, or none at all because the purchase was over $200?

Has anyone had luck getting $200 of a purchase reimbursed, when the total charge exceeded $200?

Note, my award booking fee, charged separately, was $10. So I don't see why at least that wasn't reimbursed, even if the $225 miles purchase wasn't.

The_Wrath_of_Khan Sep 6, 2011 6:26 pm

So transferring 17,000 Delta miles for $200 would work for this right? Right now with the 100% transfer bonus that nets you 34,000 miles.

Henry82 Sep 6, 2011 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by keirnna (Post 17066166)
So transferring 17,000 Delta miles for $200 would work for this right? Right now with the 100% transfer bonus that nets you 34,000 miles.

Doesn't look promising... miles purchases are being categorized as "Document Type : FREQUENT FLYER FEE/PURCHASE", which the system doesn't seem to pick up as an "incidental expense".
See data point here: Post 447.

Huff DeLand Sep 14, 2011 4:45 pm

Reimbursed for Precious Cargo

I was reimbursed $200 just two days after completing DL flights where my partner and I each took a pet. (DL charges $125 per pet in the cabin)

StanleyLi Sep 20, 2011 9:11 am

Transfered DL 7000 miles on 9/18 from my DL account to my wife's DL account and vice versa for $100 each. Got reimbursed on 9/20.

crimson12 Sep 21, 2011 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by StanleyLi (Post 17140639)
Transfered DL 7000 miles on 9/18 from my DL account to my wife's DL account and vice versa for $100 each. Got reimbursed on 9/20.

That's impressive, because I believe mile transfers are explicitly on the "no" list. I guess the overall lesson here is that if you keep purchases small, you'll have much better luck.

As for the ongoing saga of my points purchase from DL (which is not explicitly on the "no" list), I called a CSR yesterday who said he "put it through"; it hasn't shown up on my account yet but he did say it went through without any problem. The credit is supposed to post within 6 weeks; we'll see.

absolutk3 Oct 3, 2011 8:52 am

FYI for those Delta flyers out there I bought an airline ticket for $139.40 last week and got reimbursed for it 3 days later.

KKR Oct 4, 2011 11:28 am

Data Point

First post, long time lurker. Just got reimbursed two separate one-way Delta ticket purchases ($98 and $73). I only had $150 reimbursement allowance left and was worried that only the first ticket would get reimbursed ($98). Instead, they reimbursed: $98 and $52. I'm very satisfied ^

johnny_lats Oct 4, 2011 5:55 pm

How to use the $200 Airline Credit by the end of the year

Hello all,

I have used almost none of my $200 annual credit. I have mine on Delta. Am I correct that I lose it if I don't use it by the end of the year?

I tried to use it to change a ticket, but the change fee of $150 was more than the cost of a one way ticket, so I had to buy the one way instead.

Any thoughts on what to do with the credit?

Thanks!

KKR Oct 4, 2011 6:09 pm

The one way ticket should be reimbursed (mine was). Other alternatives include: baggage fee and Delta Sky Club one day pass.

I'm inclined to say food and beverage on-board, but for some reason, mine did not get reimbursed (happened two months ago, but it was only $5.00 and I did not want to waste a few minutes to call them).

ddallas Oct 4, 2011 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by johnny_lats (Post 17221123)
Hello all,

I have used almost none of my $200 annual credit. I have mine on Delta. Am I correct that I lose it if I don't use it by the end of the year?

I tried to use it to change a ticket, but the change fee of $150 was more than the cost of a one way ticket, so I had to buy the one way instead.

Any thoughts on what to do with the credit?

Thanks!

Yeah, that ticket has a good chance of being reimbursed due to the low dollar amount. You will know within a few days.

Bbabbaloo Oct 12, 2011 3:45 pm

Delta Options

I hate to leave $180 on the table. Delta seems to be the least attractive airline as far as this deal goes. I won't be flying Delta between now and 12-31. My only option seems to be to go to the airport multiple times and buy gift certificates in increments of less than $50. Very inconvenient! Do I have that right?

Thanks!

dbh1 Oct 13, 2011 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Bbabbaloo (Post 17263415)
I hate to leave $180 on the table. Delta seems to be the least attractive airline as far as this deal goes. I won't be flying Delta between now and 12-31. My only option seems to be to go to the airport multiple times and buy gift certificates in increments of less than $50. Very inconvenient! Do I have that right?

Thanks!

I assume you mean standing in line twice? Wouldn't you be able to do one transaction, then after it is completed remember that you wanted to do it again? Unless they hold and combine transactions before sending them to their merchant processor, that should work. Also, do you need to go down to $50 for delta? $90 on American website worked just fine for me. Is their nothing you can buy from dental online?

canesfan Oct 13, 2011 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by dbh1 (Post 17268129)
I assume you mean standing in line twice? Wouldn't you be able to do one transaction, then after it is completed remember that you wanted to do it again? Unless they hold and combine transactions before sending them to their merchant processor, that should work. Also, do you need to go down to $50 for delta? $90 on American website worked just fine for me. Is their nothing you can buy from dental online?

I just checked Delta's website and you can't buy gift certificates there. Must buy them at airport or at ticket office (NYC is only one). Then you can't even redeem them online. Must go to ticket office or travel agent. Pretty useless...

Purchasing a Delta Gift Certificate
Gift certificates can be purchased with cash, check, or credit card at any of our Delta Ticket Offices or airport locations2.

Using a Delta Gift Certificate
The recipient of a Delta Gift Certificate can redeem their dollar amount for an air ticket or Delta Sky Club membership at any Delta U.S., San Juan, or U.S. Virgin Islands ticket office location, including your local travel agent.

Gift certificates are not redeemable at delta.com at this time.

satz Oct 19, 2011 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by canesfan (Post 17268558)
I just checked Delta's website and you can't buy gift certificates there. Must buy them at airport or at ticket office (NYC is only one). Then you can't even redeem them online. Must go to ticket office or travel agent. Pretty useless...

Purchasing a Delta Gift Certificate
Gift certificates can be purchased with cash, check, or credit card at any of our Delta Ticket Offices or airport locations2.

Using a Delta Gift Certificate
The recipient of a Delta Gift Certificate can redeem their dollar amount for an air ticket or Delta Sky Club membership at any Delta U.S., San Juan, or U.S. Virgin Islands ticket office location, including your local travel agent.

Gift certificates are not redeemable at delta.com at this time.

One data point:
I tried to buy a gift card at the airport. The first reaction you will get by an agent at the counter is surprise. They probably never knew that their company sold gift cards because you can only buy them at the airport and you cannot redeem them online thus getting hit with a phone booking fee or airport fee when you redeem it.

Also Delta requires you to name a recipient of the gift card who is the only person who can redeem the gift card. Another thing is that for some reasons I was told that some states do not allow the sale of gift cards, so you cannot buy a gift card (at least a Delta one) in CA and some others.

Anyways, I bought a gift card for $50 and did not get reimbursed. The transaction was coded as "Passenger Ticket" rather than "Additional Collection". I am not sure if it was the standard rule or because the agent did not know how to code it. I will probably return it for a refund with a 10% penalty fee the next time I fly.

I booked an TATL award ticket with taxes and fees around $180 and was immediately reimbursed the next day.