FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1300461-airline-fee-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2011-2015-a.html)

NickTN01 Jul 3, 2011 8:02 pm

Ticket charges reimbursed

Signed up for Delta as soon as the program started. Since I am GM, I really have never had use for the $200 credit since my checked bags are free, no SDC charge, etc.

I've booked plenty of flights since then on DL, but oddly the last two I booked ($137rt/$83ow) have been reimbursed the next day under the airline fee reimbursement (well, $63 of the second flight). I find this very odd since the charges show up on my statement as passenger tickets complete with ticket numbers and departure information. But hey, I'm not complaining :D

leonard016 Jul 11, 2011 2:27 pm

would like to add a data point on DL. I charged a $99.70 one-way ticket to my Plat and was reimbursed within 3 days. Thanks FT!!

eloraculo Jul 15, 2011 6:50 pm

Are ticket purchase suppose to be reimbursable? I bought a $100 RT on Delta with the Amex card and a few days later I got the reimbursement.

scubadu Jul 15, 2011 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by eloraculo (Post 16735897)
Are ticket purchase suppose to be reimbursable? I bought a $100 RT on Delta with the Amex card and a few days later I got the reimbursement.

This question has been addressed numerous times in this very thread.

No, tickets are not supposed to be reimbursed. However, there is ample data in this very thread, should you choose to spend a little time reviewing it, demonstrating that Amex's "filtering system" for this credit process isn't perfectly tuned.

People have received the credit for things they weren't supposed to and people have not received the credit for things they should have. YMMV.

Regards

Delta2010 Jul 28, 2011 3:04 pm

Delta

I got my Plat card earlier this week and selected Delta airlines as my airlines of choice for $200 credit, primarily because Delta is my prefered carrier. I read this entire thread last night to see how people are redeeming this $200 credit. I summarized here short bullet points about how ppl were successful receiving credit through Delta. If there are any more, please update the list as it will help everyone -

1. Domestic Award fee of $10
2. Tax on International award ticket
3. cost of ticket price as long as net amount paid by AMEX plat is <$100 (rest may be paid through ecrdit or vouchers)
4. In aircraft food and entertainment (meals, drinks, headsets etc but no GoGO)
5. Baggage fee
6. Award ticket change fee ($150)

My bags are free as I am a FO. I rarely change the reservation. I know I will be booking atleast three domestic award tickets this year so that's $30. Add another $50 for meals/drinks on these flights. That's still just $80. There gotta be some more ways :).
Idea/Question - I have some DL evouchers. If I book a one-way fully refundable ticket 2-3 months out, use vouchers to bring net cost down <$100. charge it to Plat AMEX and cancel once I receive the credit from AMEX? I know its not ethical but will it fly? Will I get my vouchers/amount of ticket back once I cancel?

ENFO Jul 28, 2011 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Delta2010 (Post 16816850)
I got my Plat card earlier this week and selected Delta airlines as my airlines of choice for $200 credit, primarily because Delta is my prefered carrier. I read this entire thread last night to see how people are redeeming this $200 credit. I summarized here short bullet points about how ppl were successful receiving credit through Delta. If there are any more, please update the list as it will help everyone -

1. Domestic Award fee of $10
2. Tax on International award ticket
3. cost of ticket price as long as net amount paid by AMEX plat is <$100 (rest may be paid through ecrdit or vouchers)
4. In aircraft food and entertainment (meals, drinks, headsets etc but no GoGO)
5. Baggage fee
6. Award ticket change fee ($150)

My bags are free as I am a FO. I rarely change the reservation. I know I will be booking atleast three domestic award tickets this year so that's $30. Add another $50 for meals/drinks on these flights. That's still just $80. There gotta be some more ways :).
Idea/Question - I have some DL evouchers. If I book a one-way fully refundable ticket 2-3 months out, use vouchers to bring net cost down <$100. charge it to Plat AMEX and cancel once I receive the credit from AMEX? I know its not ethical but will it fly? Will I get my vouchers/amount of ticket back once I cancel?

I can't answer your question, but after looking at your list, (I most frequently fly Delta also since I'm near a Delta hub) I think I was wrong to designate Delta as my choice since like you I already get waived bag fee. Next year I may choose something like Jetblue and use it to buy extra legroom seats or Continental/ United (not sure are they on the list?) and use to buy day passes for those times I am not travelling on Delta and therefore can't use the lounge.

runfit Jul 28, 2011 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by ENFO (Post 16818882)
I can't answer your question, but after looking at your list, (I most frequently fly Delta also since I'm near a Delta hub) I think I was wrong to designate Delta as my choice since like you I already get waived bag fee. Next year I may choose something like Jetblue and use it to buy extra legroom seats or Continental/ United (not sure are they on the list?) and use to buy day passes for those times I am not travelling on Delta and therefore can't use the lounge.

Can it be used on a Skyclub membership? If so, you can use that to substantially bring down the price of one (depending on your status). I know you get loung access with the Plat anyway, but that might be something someone could do if there were going to cancel their plat. I'm thinking about this :)

mreed911 Jul 31, 2011 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by yngdiego (Post 16834605)
I wonder if this would work for DL? Buy a few INTL award tickets that have a decent amount of taxes, wait for the credits, then have DL re-deposit the miles. I'd be afraid AMEX would see the charges reversed/credited and take away their credit.

Why shouldn't they? Reverse the charge, reverse the credit. That only makes sense.

yngdiego Jul 31, 2011 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by mreed911 (Post 16834622)
Why shouldn't they? Reverse the charge, reverse the credit. That only makes sense.

Indeed it does....but indiansfan07 hasn't reported yet that they took back the credit.

imm2b Jul 31, 2011 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by runfit (Post 16818910)
Can it be used on a Skyclub membership? If so, you can use that to substantially bring down the price of one (depending on your status). I know you get loung access with the Plat anyway, but that might be something someone could do if there were going to cancel their plat. I'm thinking about this :)

Yes. I asked about airlines lounge membership, and it does qualify. I read the T&C's and it's confirmed

djmeese1 Aug 1, 2011 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by ENFO (Post 16818882)

I'm a Delta FF and chose them as my airline as well. When I started this thread I was really confused as to what I should do. Choosing your carrier can work out great in certain scenarios. My wife and I just flew RT from NYC - Barcelona. We bought economy comfort seats which really made the flight more comfortable and you get open bar. Great way to knock out $160 of the $200... ($40 x 4 fot the round trip for two).

msp2msy Aug 15, 2011 6:32 am

Delta tickets up to $125 ok

Bought a number of one-way tickets recently on a new Amex Platinum and was reimbursed for a ticket that was a bit more than $125. Very nice!

SnoopDaddy Aug 15, 2011 9:04 am

nice data pt

Originally Posted by msp2msy (Post 16926467)
Bought a number of one-way tickets recently on a new Amex Platinum and was reimbursed for a ticket that was a bit more than $125. Very nice!

i wonder if this would work if one used points and pay on a delta flight to bring the pay fare down to about 125. i may try this soon and will report back.

msp2msy Aug 15, 2011 9:23 am

Originally Posted by SnoopDaddy (Post 16927231)
i wonder if this would work if one used points and pay on a delta flight to bring the pay fare down to about 125. i may try this soon and will report back.

Based on my experience it should. That said, I think there's a lot more general experience here that less than $100 works. I was hoping for this one but wasn't betting on it. In fact, I specifically used a couple small value vouchers to bring the ticket down this low but didn't want to go below $100 due to a different promotion.

Good luck!

sbjnyc Aug 15, 2011 1:25 pm

I bought 6,000 skymiles using the 100% promotion for $225, which would effectively be 12,000 skymiles for $25. It hit my Amex bill as Delta Air Lines so I assume I will get reimbursed. I plan to do the same thing next year assuming there is a similar promotion.