FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1300461-airline-fee-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2011-2015-a.html)

HWGeeks Feb 15, 2011 5:39 pm

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

I only fly delta domestically so I reg'ed with delta and use it for inflight meals, because of the $200 dollar credit I have been generous on my flights buying neighbors food/drinks etc.

johndoe123 Mar 6, 2011 8:28 pm

Can I buy a sky club membership (for someone else) and get $200 in credit back?

What about international award ticket redemption fees for taxes, etc.? They seem to post as "Additional collection".

juuceman Mar 8, 2011 3:34 pm

$200 pet fee was refunded by Amex without question or request.

DLcoop1977 Mar 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Buy miles?

Can you use the $200 to buy miles? If so, then for $168 you would get 9K SkyMiles. (Have to buy in set increments so the next choice would be 12K miles for $224. This includes the current 50% bonus on buying miles.) Granted, this is not a screaming deal, but come the end of the year if you have credit to spend......

mia Mar 12, 2011 3:36 am

Originally Posted by DLcoop1977 (Post 16019206)
Can you use the $200 to buy miles?

At most airlines, miles purchases, gifts or transfers are billed by points.com, not by the carrier. The charge must be submitted by the airline to be considered.

Wiirachay Mar 12, 2011 6:34 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 16020885)
At most airlines, miles purchases, gifts or transfers are billed by points.com, not by the carrier. The charge must be submitted by the airline to be considered.

DL's miles purchases are posted as DL, appearing like a ticket, not by a third party vendor. Not sure how AMEX's systems are set up in terms of detecting if the transaction is refundable. IIRC, the "ticket" type is in the miscellaneous category, similar to bag fees.

pguo Mar 12, 2011 8:23 am

taxes refunded

I am DL platinium. Booked couple of trips to Paris using DL points for my wife and I on tax card, tax comes in total $176. got credit back on the next statement. Wait for another month to cancel my trip to get the $176 back.

patriots68 Mar 12, 2011 9:14 am

Is the $150 dollar fee, I'm only an FO on Delta, considered a ticket charge or is it something else so that I could use the 200 towards changing a ticket

dawgflyer Mar 17, 2011 9:05 pm

Has anyone tried to purchase a Delta Gift Certificate and got the Amex refund?
http://www.delta.com/help/contact_us...ates/index.jsp

This could be a work around for using the credit to purchase flights plus if you don't use the certificate you can get cash back for a 10% charge.

newtraveler123 Apr 4, 2011 12:40 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned already...

I got 2 award tickets on DL to Europe with $200 in taxes($100 per). I was reimbursed under the $200 airline credit.

richardamp Apr 7, 2011 8:19 am

Anyone have any luck getting reimbursed for buying Delta gift cards? If so, what increments were those bought in?

5thofjuly Apr 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Flyer IAH (Post 16206186)
Which airlines besides AA have gift cards that would qualify for the reimbursement?

I haven't seen any successful besides Delta yet. There was the question around whether Delta gift cards worked, but I haven't seen a post to suggest either way. I wish Amex was more clear on what is reimbursable and what isn't. It feels more like a guessing game to take advantage of the benefit. I would say there seems to be a pattern of small purchases getting reimbursed (gift cards, cheap flights, etc.) So maybe Amex is clearing everything below a certain threshold. I wish I knew how their system was determining what gets credited and what doesn't. Frustrating....

cacohenassaf Apr 13, 2011 9:56 am

Wait, I didn't get it... Anyone tried to buy a Delta gift card and got reimbursed for it? If that is the case, what was the gift card amount?

Thank you!

mreed911 Apr 13, 2011 10:08 am

Originally Posted by cacohenassaf (Post 16211025)
Wait, I didn't get it... Anyone tried to buy a Delta gift card and got reimbursed for it? If that is the case, what was the gift card amount?

Thank you!

I bought 400 $.50 cards and so far have 397 of them reimbursed.

cacohenassaf Apr 13, 2011 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by mreed911 (Post 16211118)
I bought 400 $.50 cards and so far have 397 of them reimbursed.

Hey, thanks for the reply. You bought 400 .50 $ cards?? haha
I can't find where to buy gift cards the only thing i see is this:
https://www.delta.com/help/contact_u...x.jsp#purchase
and this is not redeemable online...

Thanks again

ryandc99 Apr 15, 2011 4:16 pm

Anyone have any Luck with DL Gift Certs? As a DL PM, I am still not sure what I can get reimbursed on besides a $150 change fee.

QSYH Apr 16, 2011 12:27 am

Originally Posted by ryandc99 (Post 16226063)
Anyone have any Luck with DL Gift Certs? As a DL PM, I am still not sure what I can get reimbursed on besides a $150 change fee.

I haven't heard of it as only tried other airlines. However, if you take a look at the terms it doesn't look incredibly favorable at least not to me.
You can only purchase them at a ticket office or airport. When you want to redeem, you can't redeem it online.

Renes Points Apr 17, 2011 10:18 am

Originally Posted by cacohenassaf (Post 16214752)
Hey, thanks for the reply. You bought 400 .50 $ cards?? haha
I can't find where to buy gift cards the only thing i see is this:
https://www.delta.com/help/contact_u...x.jsp#purchase
and this is not redeemable online...

Thanks again

This is what I am going to try. Going to do 2 $100 one's and see. Should work and I will spend one way or the other with DELTA!^:D

ryandc99 Apr 17, 2011 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by deltagoldflyer (Post 16233622)
This is what I am going to try. Going to do 2 $100 one's and see. Should work and I will spend one way or the other with DELTA!^:D

Let me know if buying miles works!!

akcae Apr 17, 2011 6:40 pm

Anyone had any luck with a $99 companion ticket? My wife has one and we're about to use to it to book a flight for Memorial Day weekend.

cacohenassaf Apr 18, 2011 11:01 am

Originally Posted by deltagoldflyer (Post 16233622)

Thanks, are you going to buy that from DL ticketing office?
I saw that you cannot redeem that online which means - fees when you book though the office, no?

Please let me know if you got reimburse for those... thank you mate!

dohvegas Apr 19, 2011 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Travelergcp (Post 16231363)
Sounds like anything reported without a ticket number and under a certain dollar threshold is going to post correctly and get reimbursed.

DL.com one way ticket w/reported ticket number, under $100 = reimbursed

Renes Points Apr 20, 2011 11:04 am

Originally Posted by cacohenassaf (Post 16238667)
Thanks, are you going to buy that from DL ticketing office?
I saw that you cannot redeem that online which means - fees when you book though the office, no?

Please let me know if you got reimburse for those... thank you mate!

I am going to buy NOT MILES but 2 gift certs for travel when at the airport next time. Yes I will have to go to the airport to cash them in or I can mail them in as well. Either way if I get the $200 credit they are free money and if not I will use them anyway for flights!

I will advise (it will take a while my next flight is JUNE!)

twoner32 Apr 20, 2011 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by dohvegas (Post 16245788)
DL.com one way ticket w/reported ticket number, under $100 = reimbursed

Can you explain more?

Are you saying that a one-way ticket on DL.com was reimbursed?

tompk1 Apr 20, 2011 2:24 pm

I recently purchased a couple of delta tix priced at about $170, used a $75 voucher on each ticket which brought eaach down to about $94 and got a credit on the amex for the $94 per ticket 3 days later.

ryandc99 Apr 20, 2011 3:22 pm

Anyone have any luck yet with purchasing a Delta Gift cert?

twoner32 Apr 20, 2011 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by ryandc99 (Post 16253009)
Anyone have any luck yet with purchasing a Delta Gift cert?

I might try to just end this long debate on here :)

ryandc99 Apr 26, 2011 9:50 am

Anyone with recent luck on Delta? Still trying to figure out what to do...

mtkeller Apr 26, 2011 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by ryandc99 (Post 16282684)

This likely isn't actually going to help you, but I'd booked an award ticket for my (no status) mother and did OLCI for her and paid the bag fee with the AmEx Plat. Credit posted very shortly thereafter. Sure, I'm not getting the money back myself, but I'm doing something nice for a family member, which counts for something in my book.

lsk5013 Apr 30, 2011 7:18 am

Originally Posted by ryandc99 (Post 16282684)

Anybody know if I book an award ticket on DL, will the taxes and fees be covered by the $200 credit? All it is says is:

Delta Airlines
Doing Business As: DELTA AIR LINES
Merchant Address: ATLANTA AIRPORT
ATLANTA
GA
UNITED STATES
Category: Travel - Airline

aubreyfromwheaton May 1, 2011 2:25 pm

Is there a best way to cleanly harvest the $200 on DL without buying drinks, snacks or memberships.

I have not flown AA (though I have 150K miles to burn thx Citi) so I don't really want AA gift cards, and the tiny chance that they don't get reimbursed would stink if I elect AA for the entire year.

QSYH May 2, 2011 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton (Post 16310588)
Is there a best way to cleanly harvest the $200 on DL without buying drinks, snacks or memberships.

I have not flown AA (though I have 150K miles to burn thx Citi) so I don't really want AA gift cards, and the tiny chance that they don't get reimbursed would stink if I elect AA for the entire year.

Delta: change fees, baggage, etc. If it works with the gift certificates I wouldn't really recommend since you have to go to the kiosk to purchase it AND you can't redeem online.

Best way to be honest is to purchase the AA gift cards, sell it, and use the cash to get what you want. If you buy $50 worth of AA gift cards it's still worth $50. When you sell you might sell for $40-45.
If you are worried about not getting reimbursed, it's pretty much for any transaction thus making you call into CS and requesting a manual credit.

akcae May 2, 2011 3:19 pm

I redeemed some (lots) miles for a J award to Europe this summer. DL charged me about $150 in fees. This was a couple of weeks ago and the offset credit has not yet posted (I did select DL as my 2011 airline a while back). Time for a secure message?

Spiffster May 2, 2011 5:11 pm

up to you. definitely if it's not on the next statement you get in the mail.

my credits have posted online with a varying number of days but they've always been on the same monthly statement as the charges.

Originally Posted by akcae (Post 16316865)
I redeemed some (lots) miles for a J award to Europe this summer. DL charged me about $150 in fees. This was a couple of weeks ago and the offset credit has not yet posted (I did select DL as my 2011 airline a while back). Time for a secure message?

ryandc99 May 3, 2011 5:03 pm

Has anyone bought a DL Gift Cert yet?

FLYPWM May 4, 2011 2:28 pm

Can the $200 AXP Plat Credit be used for the new DL Economy Comfort? Thanks

ryandc99 May 6, 2011 9:25 am

Originally Posted by jmw2323 (Post 16338625)
Have seen people here who had to argue for their credit. Heaven forbid they actually honor what they offer without us having to demand it.

I purchased the US club membership. 4 weeks later, still no credit. I sent a secure message asking for the credit to my account specifically for the purchase of a US Club membership. Here's the response:

"I understand your concern.

I would like to inform you that the $200.00 Airline Fee Credit benefit is applicable for the following charges only:

Checked baggage fees
Overweight/oversize baggage fees
Change fees
Phone reservation fees
Pet flight fees
Airport lounge day passes and annual memberships
Seat assignment fees
In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, etc)
In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet)

This credit is not applicable for the following charges:

Airline tickets
Charges processed by merchants other than the airline the Cardmember is enrolled in (for example, inflight Internet services providers such as GoGo)
Charges made by airline partners (for example, Cardmember purchase ticket on enrolled airline Delta, but purchases food on an Air France flight)
Trip insurance / baggage insurance
Ticket upgrades (Including American Airlines Upgrade Stickers)
Travel agent fees
Point transfer fees
Duty free purchase
Award ticket fees
Gift cards issued by Airlines

I hope you find this information useful."

Has anyone had any luck purchasing a standby upgrade? I have an trip coming up to HNL. No upgrades on DL for medallions to Hawaii, so I was wondering if they have availability and I wait list, if the fee will be reimbursed.

ryandc99 May 8, 2011 9:05 pm

I had booked a ticket using e-credit vouchers on DL. There was $116 remaining on my ticket that I charged to my Platinum card. I then cancelled that ticket later that day and rebooked, this time the difference after vouchers was $106. Today I had too credits post. First was for 106 and the second for 94... very interesting. Will be interesting to see if they stand and one doesn't get taken away since I had a refund posted too...

mtkeller May 12, 2011 1:26 am

Originally Posted by FLYPWM (Post 16328578)
Can the $200 AXP Plat Credit be used for the new DL Economy Comfort? Thanks

I'd like to know the answer to this, too. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to find out, since my understanding is that DL will refund your money if you later select a non-Economy Comfort seat.

runfit May 12, 2011 5:19 am

Here is one way it worked that surprised me. I used it to pay the taxes and fees on a Delta international award tickets. I was reimbursed in 1 day. Well, I had to cancel the ticket a while later (free for PMs and DMs, so no cost there) , my credit card was refunded for the amount (which was a good bit over $100) and amex didn't take the credit back they gave! In other words, I got the money for free! Don't know if that is a fluke or for real. Try it with an award Res sometime (no risk if you don't have to pay the cancellation)!