FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1300461-airline-fee-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2011-2015-a.html)

aviators99 Dec 15, 2011 9:23 am

I used my extra $200 that was good from 12/10 - 12/31 last year on a DL Sky Club membership. It's been great for me, mostly for use in AS, AF, BA and other clubs. Anyway, I have to use another DL $200 before the end of the year. I was considering going to the airport and buying some DL GCs...

I went to the Sky Club site, and noticed that they are currently running a promo for renewing or joining Sky Club that is good until 12/31. If you join by then, you can get 2 extra months (14 months) or 1,500 MQMs. The promo codes are at https://www.delta.com/traveling_chec...omos/index.jsp

If you aren't already a member, you also get the $50 initiation fee waived by using one of these promos. It also mentions that you are free to renew early. So I renewed my membership that runs out mid-February for $300. With the $200 credit, it will cost me $100 for 14 months of membership.

Now to decide which airline to elect for 2012.

mia Dec 15, 2011 10:58 am

Originally Posted by aviators99 (Post 17631919)
... DL Sky Club membership. It's been great for me, mostly for use in AS, AF, BA and other clubs....

I would be surprised in a DL membership helped you enter a BA lounge?

aviators99 Dec 15, 2011 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 17632635)
I would be surprised in a DL membership helped you enter a BA lounge?

You're right, that was Priority Pass...

jmw2323 Dec 15, 2011 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by aviators99 (Post 17634954)
You're right, that was Priority Pass...

don't think any of the BA lounges accepts Priority Pass

snshahmd Dec 15, 2011 8:03 pm

Actually Priority Pass is accepted at BA Galleries at IAD.

I can see for miles Dec 16, 2011 9:29 am

For those like myself who would prefer cash back instead of airline gift cards or incidental reimbursements, I think I've found a nice loophole. You can purchase Delta gift certificates (can't buy them online; have to purchase them from Delta at an airport or Delta office), then, according to Delta's gift certificate T&C, you may receive a refund for the gift certificate if returned within one year (again, at an airport or Delta office). Delta, according to its T&C, may charge a 10 percent fee for the refund. If Delta does, that's still $180 of the $200 you'll receive back. I bought four $50 Delta gift cards yesterday. Will wait for the AMEX credit to post, then return the gift cards.

Anyone else try this?

myeurocrush Dec 18, 2011 10:58 am

Originally Posted by I can see for miles (Post 17638775)
For those like myself who would prefer cash back instead of airline gift cards or incidental reimbursements, I think I've found a nice loophole. You can purchase Delta gift certificates (can't buy them online; have to purchase them from Delta at an airport or Delta office), then, according to Delta's gift certificate T&C, you may receive a refund for the gift certificate if returned within one year (again, at an airport or Delta office). Delta, according to its T&C, may charge a 10 percent fee for the refund. If Delta does, that's still $180 of the $200 you'll receive back. I bought four $50 Delta gift cards yesterday. Will wait for the AMEX credit to post, then return the gift cards.

Anyone else try this?

Did you get credited for the delta GC purchase?

DLcoop1977 Dec 22, 2011 8:50 pm

Buying Skymiles?

I have searched this thread, but have not found the definitive answer as to if the purchase of Skymiles will be reimbursed. Has anyone successfully (or unsuccessfully) done this?

wdmonet Dec 23, 2011 8:26 am

Delta skymiles not reimbursed

Originally Posted by DLcoop1977 (Post 17678601)
I have searched this thread, but have not found the definitive answer as to if the purchase of Skymiles will be reimbursed. Has anyone successfully (or unsuccessfully) done this?

I tried and it didn't work - keep in mind though that my fee was 320.00 so it seems like from previous posts - anything over say 100 has a tougher time of getting "automatically" credited

sbjnyc Dec 23, 2011 11:58 am

It worked for me after a phone call and a couple of months of waiting.

weave Dec 24, 2011 8:30 am

I tried the double-up miles offer (for $39) on a ticket and that was not reimbursed.

budblab Dec 25, 2011 5:16 pm

What date does a Sky Club purchase post to your Amex account? I will be at the airport on Dec 31. In my experience, my online Delta ticket purchase has always posted on my Amex the day after the purchase. Is the same true for a sky club purchase?
(Sorry for the double-post. I already posted this ? earlier today in the Delta forum, then realized this could be a better place.)

pcharles Dec 27, 2011 6:24 am

Originally Posted by budblab (Post 17690850)
What date does a Sky Club purchase post to your Amex account? I will be at the airport on Dec 31. In my experience, my online Delta ticket purchase has always posted on my Amex the day after the purchase. Is the same true for a sky club purchase?
(Sorry for the double-post. I already posted this ? earlier today in the Delta forum, then realized this could be a better place.)

I wouldnt worry about it. They give you receipts at the time of purchase and I believe it is related to transaction date, not posting date. My skyclub purchases were reimbursed about 3days later. If you are concerned, I would try to make the club purchase earlier upon arrival at the club and not at closing time.

Everyone should expect delays from account activity from any transactions from Dec 24-26 as well as Dec 31 -Jan 2.

InfoMofo Dec 27, 2011 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by wdmonet (Post 17680594)
I tried and it didn't work - keep in mind though that my fee was 320.00 so it seems like from previous posts - anything over say 100 has a tougher time of getting "automatically" credited

I bought the MQM deal at the end of the year. I think the fee was 500 dollars, and I called plat customer service to have them credit my remaining 150 in airline credit towards that. It shows up on your amex bill specifically as "airline/travel fee" or something, so it wasn't hard to argue with them, but I did have to call twice to make sure it was credited.

zshanlon Dec 28, 2011 9:15 am

Originally Posted by InfoMofo (Post 17699414)
I bought the MQM deal at the end of the year. I think the fee was 500 dollars, and I called plat customer service to have them credit my remaining 150 in airline credit towards that. It shows up on your amex bill specifically as "airline/travel fee" or something, so it wasn't hard to argue with them, but I did have to call twice to make sure it was credited.

Are you saying that you bought the 5000 MQMs for $495 and AMEX reimbursed you your remaining $150 for that purchase? What does it look like on your AMEX statement?