FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1300461-airline-fee-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2011-2015-a.html)

LoRDyRiCHie May 17, 2011 12:22 pm

hi guys now i enrolled with delta for the 200$ the question is if i buy AA GCs will i be credit .do i have to be enrolled with AA to get the Credit.
i need some deltails please

akcae May 18, 2011 10:12 am

My statement closed without a credit for the $150+ DL award fee. I sent a secure message asking about it (not specifically referring to it as "award" fee) and got a reply that it takes "up to 4 weeks" to process airline enrollment and 6-8 weeks for credits. I enrolled DL as my preferred airline two days before the fee posted. The rep also helpfully added all the "covered" and non-covered types of fees (listing award fees as ineligible, but we know how well that's enforced).

So, now I'm thinking it's a timing issue? I'm gonna wait another couple of weeks, since it's been about five since the charge.

msp2msy May 18, 2011 10:28 am

DL - Use Reimbursement WITH eCerts

Apologies for the title, meant to write DL - Use Reimbursement WITH eCerts.

While booking recently, it occurred to me that Amex has been pretty consistently crediting for airfares that less than $100 so I decided to try booking a fare and using an eCert to pay for MOST of the fare. The remainder, around $75 (but not exactly), was charged to my Platinum card.

The ticket showed on my Amex bill as Additional Collection. :) That was a good sign... And two days later a credit of the same ~$75 amount appeared.

I prefer to pay with my Amex Gold PR for the 3x MR but this was pretty nice.

BarbiJKM May 18, 2011 11:17 am

Anyone know how to get a DL change fee credited when they have automatically deducted it from original fare and left an eCredit for the balance in my DL account? How to submit this to AmEx Plat for my airline credit?

FLYPWM May 19, 2011 11:30 am

Just bought this for my family of 4 and had $200 statement credit that posted the same day. It posted person by person so it posted as 60-60-60-20.
Thanks...I just bought it for my two kids on a DL flight from TLV-ATL in Dec.(different locator). I'll look out for the credit.

jmorgans May 23, 2011 6:39 am

Can anyone comment on how to get cancellation fees (as opposed to change fees) reimbursed? With Delta if I cancel a flight, they simply deduct the fee from the Delta credit that they issue. There are no charges that show up on the card for reimbursement.

BarbiJKM Jun 1, 2011 11:13 am

Originally Posted by jmorgans (Post 16433520)
Can anyone comment on how to get cancellation fees (as opposed to change fees) reimbursed? With Delta if I cancel a flight, they simply deduct the fee from the Delta credit that they issue. There are no charges that show up on the card for reimbursement.

I asked the same question a few pages ago, regarding change fees -- the problem is the same for either cancellation or change fees. Delta does not provide any documentation to show that the $150 charge was imposed, merely issues the balance of the ticket price as an eCredit, so HOW can one get AmEx to reimburse it as an airline credit?

mreed911 Jun 1, 2011 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM (Post 16484879)
I asked the same question a few pages ago, regarding change fees -- the problem is the same for either cancellation or change fees. Delta does not provide any documentation to show that the $150 charge was imposed, merely issues the balance of the ticket price as an eCredit, so HOW can one get AmEx to reimburse it as an airline credit?

If it's not charged to your Amex, you can't.

BarbiJKM Jun 1, 2011 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by mreed911 (Post 16485895)
If it's not charged to your Amex, you can't.

The original ticket IS booked to my Plat AmEx but DL doesn't send ANY documentation of the change fee; just immediately deducts it and posts the remaining balance as an eCredit.

mia Jun 1, 2011 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM (Post 16487401)
...immediately deducts it and posts the remaining balance as an eCredit.

American Express would not be aware of this, it's merely an internal bookkeeping entry at Delta. You would be able to recover the fee only if it required a additional card transaction.

peezondeez Jun 11, 2011 9:37 am

finally registered to let you guys know my reimbursement

I called up Amex and picked Delta as my choice...and then immediately booked a $245 flight with a $100 voucher, and got reimbursed the remaining $145 immediately when the charge came through...

dl767captain Jun 18, 2011 10:28 am

Airline Reimbursment Covers A Lot

So when I got my platinum card I immediately signed up for the airline fee Reimbursment for Delta. We used my dads card to sign up for continental last Christmas when we flew them to Charleston. And honestly, I think it's one of the best features of the card. Now that UA and CO have merged our bag fees and change fees were covered on our UA trip to Europe. Something we weren't expecting. Then today I see that my Amex paid for the companion fee for my dad (a companion ticket for $100 from our delta amex). Never would have expected that but it just made my upcoming flight much more enjoyable.

Henry82 Jun 26, 2011 3:10 am

Originally Posted by ryandc99 (Post 16323355)
Has anyone bought a DL Gift Cert yet?

Originally Posted by twoner32 (Post 16253413)
I might try to just end this long debate on here :)

Any data points on this? :p

msp2msy Jun 30, 2011 1:01 am

Originally Posted by ianturner (Post 16644870)
so what i'm learning from this thread is that since im a plat on DL and get free bags, free SDC, and free award redeposits, i should select another airline for the card choice and go the gift card option?

Likewise, I'm a DL Plat and selected Delta. It's been tough finding some easy use of the credit. Here's what worked for me very well:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16408348-post230.html

Dreps Jun 30, 2011 7:46 am

I'm in the same boat (plane?) as a DL plat. When I recently looked to see if I could purchase DL gift certificates since that seems a popular use in this thread, the DL Web site indicated that the certificates had to be bought at ticket offices (I assume that includes airports) of which there are practically none and that they could not be used online. I'm not exactly sure what the previous poster (msp2msy) recommended in terms of eCerts. I infer that this is if you are using one but the fare in question exceeds its value? Again, that would not be relevant for me. Any other ideas?