FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   $200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1300452-200-airline-fee-reimbursement-reports-ua-only-2010-2016-a.html)

sipndip Oct 27, 2011 12:38 pm

United data point. Bought Award accelerator for $68 to test whether it would be reimbursed. Got reimbursed 3 days later...

Not normally a good value at 3 cents per mile but better than nothing if you're looking to use up the $200 credit

The_Wrath_of_Khan Oct 28, 2011 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43 (Post 17352165)
When I booked an award ticket last spring, I found that award ticket fees were not covered. However, it seems like over-the-phone ticketing fees ARE covered. I am booking a couple more award tix, and will probably have to do it on the phone. Does anyone know if these are reimbursed?

Reading the thread, I'm getting the feeling that almost anything gets reimbursed if it's small enough.

Anybody know?

I was reimbursed for all of my Continental award ticket fees automatically.

Flyer IAH Oct 31, 2011 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Jake Gittes (Post 17290612)
Sucks it didn't work out, but thanks for the good data point. I purchased two, $75 Continental GCs and one, $50 GC; they all got reimbursed.

My plan for 2012 is to buy those same denomination GCs and then cancel the Plat card. I'm going to take the plunge on the CO PP card.

How long did it take to get reimbursed? I purchased a $75 Continental GC and still not reimbursed after ten days... :confused:

I can see for miles Nov 1, 2011 2:07 pm

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I wasn't reimbursed for a $100 Continental gift certificate purchase on Oct. 10. But when I bought a $97 Continental gift certificate on Oct. 26, a credit for $97 posted four days later. YMMV, it would seem.

Flyer IAH Nov 1, 2011 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by I can see for miles (Post 17373373)
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I wasn't reimbursed for a $100 Continental gift certificate purchase on Oct. 10. But when I bought a $97 Continental gift certificate on Oct. 26, a credit for $97 posted four days later. YMMV, it would seem.

Good deal, did you purchase online? I purchased one for $75 on October 22 and no reimbursement yet... I am losing hope. If it does not get reimbursed I am cancelling the card; I hardly ever incur fees with CO/UA.

Readog Nov 9, 2011 2:22 pm

Ordered an $85 gift card from Continental a few weeks ago and did not receive a credit. In the past I did $75 and got it back...anyone have any luck with Continental lately?

I can see for miles Nov 10, 2011 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by I can see for miles (Post 17373373)

I charged a $98 Continental gift certificate on Oct. 7 and was reimbursed two days later, so I'm 2-for-3 this year. The one time I wasn't reimbursed I had charged $100.

gnomie Nov 10, 2011 8:53 pm

Worked for me

Originally Posted by Readog (Post 17421396)
Ordered an $85 gift card from Continental a few weeks ago and did not receive a credit. In the past I did $75 and got it back...anyone have any luck with Continental lately?

About ten days ago I ordered a $75 gift certificate from CO - took about 6 days to credit to my account

caroak Nov 15, 2011 12:07 pm

According to United and Continental websites gift certificates can only be used for the specific airline on the certificate. As of now, they are not interchangeable. My $200 can be used on either one but I'm not sure on which of the two I would travel. Does anyone know if they will be interchangeable after the first of the year when the websites are merged? The CO agent only had the info that was on the website.

limey1K Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm

I applied mine to United and then used it to help pay for my RCC membership. Took a couple of emails to Amex but I got it applied against the charge.

redwoman Nov 17, 2011 7:44 pm

Confirmed that the AMEX Plat travel credit works for UA Club membership

Hi Joediver and af fp, and others who may be UA/CO FFs. I just upgraded to Plat over the phone and asked the rep to confirm with someone at Plat before I did so, that the $200 travel credit can be used for United Club yearly membership, not just day passes.

She did come back and say that the yearly membership will qualify for the travel credit! Whoo hoo!

So, no need to buy UA gift certs if you don't really need them, just to use up the travel credit.

She also reminded me that the Plat card can be used to access US Air clubs, no ticket is needed. That is really great, because there are two things that annoy me about UA clubs: 1) the lack of access when you ARRIVE from a long flight and need to make a pitstop and/or are dying for somewhat better coffee than the junk they now serve on UA, or are dying for a snack because Jeff Smisek has taken away the bananas and pop chips out of F cabin (jeez, like it would just kill their profit margin to serve a bag of chips to a pax who paid $3K for a F seat) and 2) the PHL UA Club. It is just sorry; the paint job is left over from the early 70's! The restrooms are done up in gray, and where it's chipped off you can see pink underneath! I mean, the last time I saw a color scheme like that was while watching the original Hawaii Five-o!!

mitchdew Nov 23, 2011 8:59 pm

My mom has United registered on her Plat card and i was wondering if we could get a few United lounge day passes online and get those charges reinbursed. Now that UA's lounges do not accept her priority pass card.

Also, if she spends on food/drinks onboard Continental's flights will she also get reinbursed? She has not used a cent of her $200 allowance and with only one trip next month with UA before the year ends .

Thanks

af fp Nov 27, 2011 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by mitchdew (Post 17507243)
My mom has United registered on her Plat card and i was wondering if we could get a few United lounge day passes online and get those charges reinbursed. Now that UA's lounges do not accept her priority pass card.

Also, if she spends on food/drinks onboard Continental's flights will she also get reinbursed? She has not used a cent of her $200 allowance and with only one trip next month with UA before the year ends .

Thanks

Yes lounge passes are covered in the $200 credit, as well as onboard food and drinks, and CO and UA are considered one airline. Everything should be reimbursed.

red grenadine Dec 1, 2011 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by joediver (Post 17548728)
Why not just use the $200 towards the United Club annual fee. If you fly often enough it's worth the $125 out of your own pocket ($325-$200). You membership may be more depending on your status with UA. When I spoke with the rep at AMEX last week regarding my Business Platinum I was told this was valid. If they do not reimburse right away just call and they'll apply the $200 credit.

Mainly fly on AA, but sometimes I fly on United. This may make sense but I'll have to see. The $200 gives me 5 visits (@$39 per). So will have to see if I'll be using it more than that

UAAAPeter Dec 7, 2011 11:41 pm

Can anyone confirm annual UA club works?

Originally Posted by joediver (Post 17548728)
Why not just use the $200 towards the United Club annual fee. If you fly often enough it's worth the $125 out of your own pocket ($325-$200). You membership may be more depending on your status with UA. When I spoke with the rep at AMEX last week regarding my Business Platinum I was told this was valid. If they do not reimburse right away just call and they'll apply the $200 credit.

I was so paranoid about this as I would have to had renewed early that I ended up asking the question 3 times as I was calling in for other reasons. Once I got told it was ok and twice that it only applies to day visits. So I went with AA for misc items.

Anyone with real experience on this? What happens when you charge $400+? Or do you use two cards for one purchase or what? If it works I will use in January for renewal.