FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   $200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1300452-200-airline-fee-reimbursement-reports-ua-only-2010-2016-a.html)

denisiel Mar 9, 2012 5:38 pm

Can I buy UNITED GC (not Continental as must fly United into SMF and code share won't work so I can't book CO)?

Do United GCs expire?

I wish I had read this board last year as missed the $200!

gv111 Mar 10, 2012 4:29 am

Originally Posted by denisiel (Post 18170131)
Can I buy UNITED GC (not Continental as must fly United into SMF and code share won't work so I can't book CO)?

Do United GCs expire?

I wish I had read this board last year as missed the $200!

There is no CO anymore. Its only UA.

denisiel Mar 10, 2012 10:39 pm

Thanks. So has anyone purchased United gift certificates or vouchers from the UA website and received the credit from Amex?

Strom Mar 12, 2012 9:04 am

Originally Posted by denisiel (Post 18176597)
Thanks. So has anyone purchased United gift certificates or vouchers from the UA website and received the credit from Amex?

I purchased a UA gift certificate on March 6 (probably too close to the system change-over) and I can tell you the results ... it disappeared into the ether, i.e. no email confirmations, nothing on my CC statements.

So... I'll go place another order. What could go wrong? ;)

Cohall Mar 13, 2012 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Strom (Post 18184009)
I purchased a UA gift certificate on March 6 (probably too close to the system change-over) and I can tell you the results ... it disappeared into the ether, i.e. no email confirmations, nothing on my CC statements.

So... I'll go place another order. What could go wrong? ;)

Please post your outcome here. I'm delaying giving it a go until we see a trend of success.

infamousdx Mar 13, 2012 5:32 pm

My last hurrah before cancelling the Plat... ordered a $200 GC today. Will come back to update.

Strom Mar 18, 2012 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Strom (Post 18150089)
After the CO/UA system merger, I was a bit nervous. But I figured the money will get spent, either way, so I just purchased a $200 united.com GC from this page (which looks like the former-continental.com GC purchase page):

http://pss.united.com/CMS/en-US/prod...tificates.aspx

Will report back...

Reimbursed successfully!

Timeline:
  • March 6: Ordered a single $200 GC from the new/current web site (pss.united.com)
  • March 12: Pending transaction finally posted on americanexpress.com
  • March 14: AMEX Airline Fee reimbursement posted for the full $200

I just got the Amex Platinum a few weeks ago, so I wasn't sure about the whole thing. But have at it, my friends. I've already used my Priority Pass membership, the National Executive status for a Camaro from the "special" aisle, Starwood Gold somehow got me from a regular room to an executive suite at the Newark Sheraton, and a few other goodies. Satisfied customer! :)

Cohall Mar 19, 2012 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Strom (Post 18225842)
Reimbursed successfully!

Thanks very much for the update, Strom!

ayodeji13 Mar 19, 2012 8:33 am

Nice! How did the upgrade process go in Newark? Next time you get a sick upgrade like that you should take some pics and post a trip report :)

Originally Posted by Strom (Post 18225842)
Reimbursed successfully!

Timeline:
  • March 6: Ordered a single $200 GC from the new/current web site (pss.united.com)
  • March 12: Pending transaction finally posted on americanexpress.com
  • March 14: AMEX Airline Fee reimbursement posted for the full $200

I just got the Amex Platinum a few weeks ago, so I wasn't sure about the whole thing. But have at it, my friends. I've already used my Priority Pass membership, the National Executive status for a Camaro from the "special" aisle, Starwood Gold somehow got me from a regular room to an executive suite at the Newark Sheraton, and a few other goodies. Satisfied customer! :)

Strom Mar 19, 2012 10:50 am

Originally Posted by ayodeji13 (Post 18229192)
Nice! How did the upgrade process go in Newark? Next time you get a sick upgrade like that you should take some pics and post a trip report :)

It was the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor in Weehawken, NJ. I booked the cheapest room (Suite, Non-smoking, King bed) through the AMEX travel web site (for double points) and arrived ~10pm. During check-in, after the front desk had made my room key, I remembered to ask, "Oh, I just got this Gold Preferred Status. Do you have any room upgrades available for that?"

She said, "Sure, here you go. I have an Executive Suite available."

And I went up to my Executive Suite with a dining room table, microwave, and panoramic view of the city skyline! There was a great view of Manhattan across the Hudson.

It was just an overnight business trip from the west coast to NJ, so I didn't even take any pictures... went straight to bed. Thanks for asking. :)

infamousdx Mar 19, 2012 11:58 am

Originally Posted by infamousdx (Post 18195205)
My last hurrah before cancelling the Plat... ordered a $200 GC today. Will come back to update.

To update,

3/13: $200 GC purchased
3/16: $200 remimbursement posted!

^

Now I can cancel the Plat before my annual fee in May.

Strom Mar 20, 2012 8:30 am

Originally Posted by denisiel (Post 18170131)
Do United GCs expire?

It looks like no one answered your question. The GC I purchased was issued on Mar 12 and had an expiration date of 3/12/2017. So, valid for 5 years, it appears.

denisiel Mar 21, 2012 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Strom (Post 18236416)
It looks like no one answered your question. The GC I purchased was issued on Mar 12 and had an expiration date of 3/12/2017. So, valid for 5 years, it appears.

Thanks very much Strom! I will buy a $200 GC tomorrow from http://pss.united.com/CMS/en-US/prod...tificates.aspx - is this the correct GC to buy?

Very much appreciate your replies as I haven't used any AMEX Platinum benefits so this will make up for some of the fee. From this thread, wasn't sure if could buy UA GC from the website or in what amount so you have helped me a lot. Thanks again!

Strom Mar 21, 2012 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by denisiel (Post 18247885)
Thanks very much Strom! I will buy a $200 GC tomorrow from http://pss.united.com/CMS/en-US/prod...tificates.aspx - is this the correct GC to buy?!

Glad I can help. Yes, that's the page I ordered from. But your question is timely, as I just noticed that United switched a few hours ago from the 'pss.united.com' hostname to 'www.united.com', as noted in another thread (Web site change: pss.united.com -> www.united.com).

At this moment, the URL I posted above seems to be valid, but I would suggest using this updated link:

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/prod...tificates.aspx

They look like identical pages (and may actually be on the same web server), but this is the current "live" one that you would get to from the web site and it's what I'd use if I were doing it. Be sure to post your results! Good luck.

(The UA/CO systems merger continues to keep everyone on their toes...)

denisiel Mar 22, 2012 12:57 am

Hi Strom - thanks for the link. Ordered the $200 UA GC from your link and will revert back to post results. Thanks again!