FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   $200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1300452-200-airline-fee-reimbursement-reports-ua-only-2010-2016-a.html)

The_Wrath_of_Khan Sep 23, 2011 1:30 am

I spent $150 booking award tickets on United over 2 weeks ago and the charges still haven't posted.

caroak Sep 30, 2011 11:28 am

Does the $200 Platinum Credit apply to food on flights?

My husband recently got a Platinum Card. I'll be traveling on Continental and will use his card. Will he get reimbursed for food or drinks I purchase on the flights?

PhateX1337 Sep 30, 2011 11:43 am

Yes, as long as one of you have designated Continental as your airline of choice with which to use the $200 credit.

frubio2012 Oct 7, 2011 6:41 am

I just got my AMEX PLT and selected United as my airline. Since I just got my card, will my reset day be 12/31/11 or 12/31/12?

Milezjunkie Oct 7, 2011 12:59 pm

I noticed Continental says the gift certificates can't be used on codeshare flights. Then, if I remember correctly, United gift certificates say only one can be used per purchase. Does AA have any drawbacks? I have my $200 to spend and it seems like AA GC is my only option to use the $200 by 12/31. I would prefer US Air but not when they charge $15 for shipping. Using AA means I will have to connect somewhere. Any suggestions?

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Oct 17, 2011 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by swat16 (Post 17236815)
I noticed Continental says the gift certificates can't be used on codeshare flights. Then, if I remember correctly, United gift certificates say only one can be used per purchase. Does AA have any drawbacks? I have my $200 to spend and it seems like AA GC is my only option to use the $200 by 12/31. I would prefer US Air but not when they charge $15 for shipping. Using AA means I will have to connect somewhere. Any suggestions?

I've used my 4 AA GCs, and I see no downside. You can use up to 8 gift certificates on each purchase, so it gets all used up with one ticket.

There might be restrictions on which flights, i.e., must be AA-operated, but I'm not sure. I didn't read the fine print because I fly AA enough that it's going to be usable anyway.

evq Oct 17, 2011 6:57 pm

LAME. I bought a $100 GC on Continental website... did not get credited back....

cancelling this stupid plat card and using my PR Gold from now on

Jake Gittes Oct 17, 2011 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by evq (Post 17290572)
LAME. I bought a $100 GC on Continental website... did not get credited back....

cancelling this stupid plat card and using my PR Gold from now on

Sucks it didn't work out, but thanks for the good data point. I purchased two, $75 Continental GCs and one, $50 GC; they all got reimbursed.

My plan for 2012 is to buy those same denomination GCs and then cancel the Plat card. I'm going to take the plunge on the CO PP card.

evq Oct 17, 2011 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jake Gittes (Post 17290612)
Sucks it didn't work out, but thanks for the good data point. I purchased two, $75 Continental GCs and one, $50 GC; they both got reimbursed.

My plan for 2012 is to buy those same denomination GCs and then cancel the Plat card. I'm going to take the plunge on the CO PP card.

How many days did it take to get reimbursed?

frubio2012 Oct 17, 2011 9:11 pm

Purchased a 1-day pass for the United Club and some drinks on my flight back from SFO-DEN on UA, got credited in about 5 days.

Has anyone tried to book a hotel via an airlines site and get a credit back on their PLT card?

sipndip Oct 17, 2011 9:55 pm

Has anyone bought miles from United and had them reimbursed? I am at a loss about how to get my remaining $180 of airline credit on UA.

Thanks!

azepine00 Oct 22, 2011 12:19 am

Does AMEX count UA and CO as the same airline for this purpose? IIRC the selection line said United/Continental. I had some charges reimbursed on UA so I wonder if buying CO GC would work to use up the remaining balance.

Aaron01 Oct 22, 2011 9:27 am

Originally Posted by azepine00 (Post 17316257)
Does AMEX count UA and CO as the same airline for this purpose? IIRC the selection line said United/Continental. I had some charges reimbursed on UA so I wonder if buying CO GC would work to use up the remaining balance.

Yes, I believe this was mentioned earlier in the thread, they will credit you for both UA and CO purchases.

I can see for miles Oct 25, 2011 6:07 am

Another Continental data point. Bought a $100 Continental gift card 12 days ago. Have yet to be reimbursed. For those who have been, how long did it take?

caroak Oct 26, 2011 6:45 pm

Continental's policy states you can only use one gift certificate per ticket. Would it be pushing my luck it to buy a $100 certificate or should I play it safe and buy two $50 certificates? Also, they are not interchangeable with United. Does anyone know if that will change after Jan. 1?

One more -- Can you use gift certificates to pay luggage fees?