Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase (this includes MPX). Click HERE.

Caution: As of December 2016, it appears that American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Credits generally appear 3-4 days after making the transaction. No need to worry unless they don't appear after a week.

TravelBank
funds can only be used on United and United Express flights. Partner flights are not eligible.

Gift Registry and Gift Cards

The consensus is that United gift registry contributions will be reimbursed and gift card purchases will not. So
  1. Log into united.com
  2. Set up a gift registry for yourself
  3. Use the link in your gift registry web page to send an announcement to your email address. This better, faster, and more reliable than searching for your gift registry, especially if you have a common name. Even someone with an unusual surname like mre5765 has could not find his registry after creating it.
  4. Log out of united.com
  5. Follow the Make Contribution in your gift registry email
  6. Contribute using your Amex platinum card

There seems to be no downside to contributing in sub-200 dollar chunks since the gift registry creates a single pool of cash. However there are lots of reports of successful fee credits from a single $200 donation. Whether done as on $200 transaction or eight $25 transactions, the result is that one will have $200 in ones TravelBank.

PLEASE NOTE: When you establish a gift registry for the first time, it will take 24 hours before the funds in the registry are available to use toward payment of a flight.

Do I have to join the united.com Club ($25 annual fee) to use my TravelBank?

Apparently not.

Does spending TravelBank credit count towards PQD?

Yes-for revenue flights only
Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
MPX (MileagePlus X)
It appears that this is no longer working. See this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27589581-post1496.html.
Economy Plus fees
There are recent reports of this working on a per ticket basis. No recent report of an Economy Plus annual subscription being reimbursed.
Print Wikipost

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by icculus631
sorry for my ignorance but just wanted to confirm that the gift registry and mpx are two different things. i don't need to sign up for the registry to get reimbursed for purchases through mpx with prg
yes correct man. U just need to have Mileage plus account to use the app and add a prg / platinum card and buy gift card

Originally Posted by urbana_red
Hi guys,

Are these amazon gift cards you are receiving electronic or physical gift cards?

Crappy MPX app had me buying first without entering any shipping info, and I don't want a physical gift card going to my billing address by default.
All are electronic
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu

All are electronic
Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2015, 2:45 pm

Eh guys I need your help. I purchased a $150 amazon gift card through the United Mileage X app and just spoke to Amex. They told me only airline related expenses qualify. I even told them it was through United.

He said unfortunately it doesn't qualify for the credit. Thoughts?

or did he not know what he's talking about? I literally spoke to multiple reps and each one gave me a different answer.

Last edited by kaveh2k; Dec 5, 2015 at 3:28 pm
Old Dec 5, 2015, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by kaveh2k
Eh guys I need your help. I purchased a $150 amazon gift card through the United Mileage X app and just spoke to Amex. They told me only airline related expenses qualify. I even told them it was through United.

Gift cards do not qualify, as per the terms, So contacting amex about that was not a good idea. It is a loop hole that many people have been able to take advantage of

Last edited by mia; Dec 5, 2015 at 5:23 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Dec 5, 2015, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Yeah. Don't call Amex and expect them to reimburse an Amazon gift card under an airline fee credit. Drawing human attention to something that is a loop hole is the fastest way to get said loophole closed.

How long did you wait before you called?
Old Dec 5, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA
I want an airline gift card that doesn't expire...

Does the gift registry still work? Can you keep the gift registry from expiring by making contributions to it?
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile
I want an airline gift card that doesn't expire...

Does the gift registry still work? Can you keep the gift registry from expiring by making contributions to it?
will it work?...just read a few pages of this thread for data points
expiration policy?...google is your friend.... https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...tRegistry.aspx
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:17 pm

or did he not know what he's talking about? I literally spoke to multiple reps and each one gave me a different answer.
welcome to FT, but calling is not going to make you many friends around here
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by travelfreaks
will it work?...just read a few pages of this thread for data points
expiration policy?...google is your friend.... https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...tRegistry.aspx
I don't understand this:
If the full amount in the TravelBank is not used for a transaction, you can use the balance toward the purchase of another ticket within the original validity period.
What is the 'original validity period'? Registries last forever as long as there is activity every 24 months, no? Or is the TravelBank something separate?

Last edited by wiivile; Dec 5, 2015 at 9:43 pm
Old Dec 6, 2015, 10:02 am

oh no guys I didn't tell them it was amazon.com or I wanted a gift card. This was all done via CHAT. I just asked if my United Mileage X purchase through the app will qualify and they had no idea what mileage X was
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: DL, Marriott
I still don't think that was smart. The terms clearly say airline incidental fees and the fact that you mention an app purchase which definitely isn't an airline incidental fee may help raise eyes to this issue eventually.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 6:40 am

i guess they caught on? Purchased Amazon gift cards on 12/1. Still no credit.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by lazard
Same here. Tried another $5 in MPX and $ 25 in gift registry and see what will happen
Old Dec 7, 2015, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by lazard
Originally Posted by alexyczhu
Same here. Tried another $5 in MPX and $ 25 in gift registry and see what will happen
Not sure if related, but my $100 Global Entry fee from 12/1 also still hasn't been reimbursed.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by wiivile
Not sure if related, but my $100 Global Entry fee from 12/1 also still hasn't been reimbursed.
These might be related if they share the same reimbursement system. Hopefully this is just another system wide delay like the one in October...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.