Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA, SPG
Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
Has anyone called recon on this card? Wondering if they ask about your Ameriprise relationship on the recon. My app got the 10-14 day pending message, and not sure I want to call if they ask about Ameriprise.
Judging by reading through this thread, no they don't ask about it.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1p HH gold
Originally Posted by chrisremo
Yes, Amex has no way to tell who is associated with the GE fee.
I thought whoever gets the GE must be the AU of the card. Can someone help to clear it up? Thanks.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by jwudbwei
I thought whoever gets the GE must be the AU of the card. Can someone help to clear it up? Thanks.
You can only get one charge reimbursed per AU, but Amex has no way of knowing who actually applied for the GE application resulting in each charge.

So if Bob is an AU, Bob gets one GE reimbursement. But Bob could have paid for Sally's GE fee, as his one reimbursement.

For example, I used my credit to pay for my fiancee's application, because I had already paid for GE. From Amex's standpoint, it's just a GE charge, it's not associated with any particular person.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1p HH gold
Originally Posted by chrisremo
You can only get one charge reimbursed per AU, but Amex has no way of knowing who actually applied for the GE application resulting in each charge.

So if Bob is an AU, Bob gets one GE reimbursement. But Bob could have paid for Sally's GE fee, as his one reimbursement.

For example, I used my credit to pay for my fiancee's application, because I had already paid for GE. From Amex's standpoint, it's just a GE charge, it's not associated with any particular person.
Thanks for the clarification. So the easiest way to think about it is "Each card holder (including AU) gets one GE reimbursement. The recipient of GE can be anyone".
Old Jun 8, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by jwudbwei
Thanks for the clarification. So the easiest way to think about it is "Each card holder (including AU) gets one GE reimbursement. The recipient of GE can be anyone".
Yep.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
Has anyone called recon on this card? Wondering if they ask about your Ameriprise relationship on the recon. My app got the 10-14 day pending message, and not sure I want to call if they ask about Ameriprise.
I have so little "relationship" with Ameriprise I had to goggle it to find out what it was...

Applied yesterday afternoon, got the standard "many days" message. Didn't worry since I'd read here that is normal. Last night the status page was still saying they were thinking it over. This morning I've got an approval email. I have had a regular AMEX Plat in the past, but I'm assuming I will still qualify for the sign up bonus. Really got it for the Centurion Lounge access, more than the points.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 1:43 pm

I've seen several data points, but can anyone confirm that this is separate product from Regular Amex Plat. I haven't had an Amex Plat yet and don't want to lose opportunity at 100K+ points later on.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 2:40 pm

I saw a few mentions above about applying for this card while also holding a PRG. Has anyone received the 25k bonus while still holding a PRG?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, DL Diamond 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AMEX 2015 Centurion
Originally Posted by GH83
I saw a few mentions above about applying for this card while also holding a PRG. Has anyone received the 25k bonus while still holding a PRG?
PRG is a completely different product (gold NOT platinum so there is no plausible conflict). I have PRG, biz gold, biz platinum and had personal platinum a year ago and just received the Ameriprise Platinum last month and received welcome offer on all of them (just received Ameriprise 25k a week ago).
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by RickyBobby
PRG is a completely different product (gold NOT platinum so there is no plausible conflict). I have PRG, biz gold, biz platinum and had personal platinum a year ago and just received the Ameriprise Platinum last month and received welcome offer on all of them (just received Ameriprise 25k a week ago).
Thanks. For some reason I thought I had to have cancelled the PRG 12 months before applying. Maybe old rules in my head.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 7:04 pm

Applied yesterday, got pending. Email approval came today! No Ameriprise relationship and last Amex app 35 days ago. Also, just cancelled my SPG card last week.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 2:49 pm

Approved!! 3rd amex card in the past 30 days
Old Jun 22, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA,BA
I applied last night got the 10-14 day message , this morning i got a text from them saying congrats on your new amex here is the link you requested to down load the amex app. I already have a prg I applied for about 3 weeks ago , no new card on the site or app , app status says in progress , weird

Last edited by dtfinland; Jun 22, 2015 at 4:51 pm
Old Jun 22, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA,BA
just called, approved after calling and confirming date of birth
Old Jun 22, 2015, 7:37 pm

Applied late Friday. Never called and was notified via email of approval this morning.

In the last 3 months I have now successfully applied with amex for hh surpass, prg personal, and now this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.