Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors, Delta Skymiles
OK so it stayed 'processing' for 2 days, gave them a call and it was accepted and shipped within 5 mins. I advise calling to anyone else, I am sure the lines are open 24/7.

Looking forward to being able to speak to Platinum customer support again though, I am sure it is well documented on other threads but recently Amex have outsourced a hell of a lot of its customer service overseas. I have a HHonors Amex which I just use to boost my HHonors rewards when the card suits and because it isn't a 'premium' credit card the customer service is terrible. Have to speak to reps who can barely speak English!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:50 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jimquan
... No mention of covered medical emergency evacuation
It is listed in the terms published here:

https://web.aexp-static.com/us/content/pdf/card-benefits/PlatinumCardfromAmericanExpressforAmeriprise/Premium-Global-Assist.pdf
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Interesting. I got the card a year ago and when the steep annual fee hit this month, I had my wife successfully apply for her own card (with me as a companion card). I do feel like an idiot for not paying close enough attention to realize the 25K bonus is only offered periodically and expired in June. Oh well: my main objective is to have lounge access and collect the $200 x 2.

If nothing else changes, it does seem like next summer I'll be able to get my own free card again, and then swap membership with my wife each year. If you have a spouse, this seems like a great way to play it.
So, do you think that the AF waiver for the first year will be available to you again? I ask in the sense that does Amex treat that waiver as a "bonus" (so you can't get more than once), or just part of the terms? I'm in the same boat as you, I don't care for the MR but more for the lounge access. My AF is coming up in a few weeks and I really wouldn't mind applying for a new one again, haha.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:12 pm

I was shocked that this card offers no trip delay protection, unlike its European version, whose benefits I found here.

Is there an online list of benefits for the US issued card?
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:50 pm
mia

Originally Posted by boboqui
Is there an online list of benefits for the US issued card?
Follow the link in the post that you quoted, open the Wikipost, and choose the first link.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
To fulfill the requirement of spending $3000, is the $3000 after all credit? Thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:49 pm

I have this card now and am about to ready to cancel, but haven't done it yet. I see today that there is an offer floating out there for a regular AMEX Platinum with 100k points for $3k (fee not waived). I've seen in this thread that the two products are treated differently, but can anyone confirm that it is possible to have two Platinum cards (such as the Ameriprise and a regular personal) at the same time? Thanks.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Answers in the Wiki.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I had this card last year, I signed up 4 additional free card members. A year later, I've cancelled this card, but I've had my wife sign up. From the terms and conditions, it seems like she only gets 3 additional free card members. Has this policy changed? Any workarounds? We have 3 children, so it was nice to get them all cards (for the lounge access).
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:38 am
mia

Nothing has changed. American Express charges $175 for up to three supplementary Platinum cards. That fee is waived for the first year. If you were able to obtain four without paying for the fourth card it was a mistake. It was also a mistake if cards were issued in the name of anyone under the age of 15.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:47 am

In Wikis, the report was getting this platinum card after cancelling regular platinum card. However, tnpatterson's question was whether he/she can have those two platinum cards(and bonus) at the same time. Searched around but couldn't find any answers. Waiting for reports from other people. Just curious....

Originally Posted by mhdena
Answers in the Wiki.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:15 pm

I have my 2nd Ameriprise Plat (1st one canceled in March, churned 2nd one in July). Since I never have a regular plat, I applied for the 100k offer last night and then got instant approval.

I'll update if I get the bonus after 3k spend.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, DL Gold
Also have a Ameriprise Plat with AF coming up and applied for 100k regular Plat offer. Will update if bonus obtained.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by gpen1827
Also have a Ameriprise Plat with AF coming up and applied for 100k regular Plat offer. Will update if bonus obtained.
Are you a current Ameriprise Plat holder? A friend of mine holds Ameriprise Plat and applied 100k regular plat yesterday, but his application was immediately cancelled. CSR said they cannot approve the "same card" twice.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, DL Gold
Originally Posted by jasonda
Are you a current Ameriprise Plat holder? A friend of mine holds Ameriprise Plat and applied 100k regular plat yesterday, but his application was immediately cancelled. CSR said they cannot approve the "same card" twice.
I have an active Ameriprise Plat that's used every month, and I got immediate online approval yesterday for the 100k regular.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.